Leica Showcase Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 M-Mount, v2- October 2020 version

Brian

Product of the Fifties
Nickel and Black finish, 43mm filter thread, compact design- reminded me of a Bertele lens from the 1930s.

This lens is compact. It looks to be an Asymmetric design, meaning the front section is probably a loner focal length than the rear. This allows the two sections to be brought close together, like in a Sonnar formula lens. That's a guess on my part. It is compact.
RIMG1325.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
RIMG1326.jpg
RIMG1328.jpg

And it is sharp. These are all at F1.5. Quick test- will do more with this lens soon.
Close focus to 0.7m. Aspheric design. This is the multicoated version, a single coated version is available.
This is an 8 element in 7 group lens. I don't trust that many air/glass interfaces to a single coating. If it was a Sonnar- that would be different.

This lens is a winner. I'll be testing against my original LTM Cosina/Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton. That lens is much bigger, 52mm filters.

The focus ring is easily gripped, very smooth, handles well. The aperture ring has wings, making it easy to set by feel.
L1022455.jpg
L1022461.jpg
L1022469.jpg
L1022473.jpg

The rendering is "smooth", very smooth. Focus is perfect on my M9. With the 50/1.1 and 35/1.2 V1: I needed to build up the cam, those lenses were optimized for the Cosina made film cameras. This lens is optimized for Digital cameras.

I like this lens. It feels vintage, looks vintage, but has modern optics with personality. Well behaved design.

The Museums I normally visit are still shutdown. I need to do a decent walk-around test with this lens.

I hadn't yet fully appreciated the size of this lens. Very keen on you further findings - this looks very, very interesting.

However, I admit to being a real fan of the older M mount version - it's my favourite 50mm lens, in fact. And I have seen - preliminary - reports of somewhat wild bokeh of the new version, something my Nokton doesn't have to any major extend. But what I see in your test shots doesn't show that at all ... Consider me intrigued.

EDIT: I just took another round of test shots - boring, but instructive; the 50mm f/1.5 VM is just the best balanced performer of all the M mount 50mm I own (not that many), even over its f/1.2 stable mate which is, on purely optical terms, superior, but it doesn't render the more pleasing image, nor is it considerably sharper wide open (if anything, the much older f/1.5 is at least as sharp). I know that's an unfair comparison, and the - much bigger and heavier - f/1.2 is a really solid performer and more versatile, but it doesn't *outshine* the f/1.5. Interestingly, I time and again prefer both Voigtländer lenses over the otherwise very reliable Summicron-M. That lens certainly isn't a lot sharper wide open (again, from what I'm seeing in my totally unscientific testing, the f/1.5 holds its own against the legendary Leica lens), and its rendering is less attractive, though really nice for an f/2 lens. I'm beginning to suspect that I wouldn't have to regret selling on the Summicron ...

Again, should the new f/1.5 version equal or even outperform its predecessor, that'd be a major feat! Looking forward to the comparison! It might also be the death knell for the Summicron in my kit since the f/1.5 II is smaller than even the superbly compact Leica lens ...

Besides, I now own another wonderfully satisfying 50mm f/2 :)

M.

Last edited:
The Bokeh of this lens reminds me of the classic Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5: under-corrected for spherical aberration, and a hint of astigmatism. The latter- common in lenses that are highly corrected for flatness of field. The new lens is better corrected for spherical aberration.

More images- most wide-open. In the one outing- no hint of wild bokeh. Bokeh is subjective, but wild- would be evident. "Wild" would show up with a lens used wide-open, focused close, and with structure in the background. These are wide-open.
L1022444.jpg
L1022443.jpg
L1022477.jpg
L1022449.jpg
L1022451.jpg
L1022456.jpg
L1022452.jpg

Most of these images are up-close at 0.7m, and wide-open. This is where the out-of-focus areas are at an extreme- really pushes the design.
This lens is well behaved.

Last edited:
The Bokeh of this lens reminds me of the classic Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5: under-corrected for spherical aberration, and a hint of astigmatism. The latter- common in lenses that are highly corrected for flatness of field. The new lens is better corrected for spherical aberration.

More images- most wide-open. In the one outing- no hint of wild bokeh. Bokeh is subjective, but wild- would be evident. "Wild" would show up with a lens used wide-open, focused close, and with structure in the background. These are wide-open.View attachment 240418View attachment 240419View attachment 240420View attachment 240421View attachment 240422View attachment 240423View attachment 240424

Most of these images are up-close at 0.7m, and wide-open. This is where the out-of-focus areas are at an extreme- really pushes the design.
This lens is well behaved.
Very nice, and indeed very smooth. Though I guess I see what people have been referring to: There's a swirl (depending on the background), and there can be green outlining. However, I personally really like what I see; looking forward to the comparison (y)

M.

The green outlining/ color fringing: the sensor is completely saturated as it is pointed into the Sun. I attribute this more to the sensor array reacting to the pathological case for lighting.

With astigmatism and footballs: more common in lenses that have little field curvature. Sonnars tend to have a high degree of field curvature, the Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5 is an exception.

Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, wide-open. As an example of Footballs in a Sonnar.
L1001497.jpg

The green outlining/ color fringing: the sensor is completely saturated as it is pointed into the Sun. I attribute this more to the sensor array reacting to the pathological case for lighting.

With astigmatism and footballs: more common in lenses that have little field curvature. Sonnars tend to have a high degree of field curvature, the Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5 is an exception.

Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, wide-open. As an example of Footballs in a Sonnar.
View attachment 240436
As always, very helpful and instructive! Thanks for the assessment.

M.

Both wide-open at F1.5.
No filter.
Very heavy overcast today.
Nokton-M 50/1.5, V2.
The color fringing coming off the Leaf- I suspect is IR leakage on the M9. I'll try with a UV/IR blocking filter later.
CCD's are much more sensitive to IR than newer CMOS sensors. It's more than the cover glass used: bigger and deeper pixels are more sensitive to IR. Infrared tends to get absorbed deeper in the sensor.

L1022496.jpg
L1022496_crop.jpg
L1022491.jpg
L1022491_crop.jpg

Back