Micro 4/3 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95 Lens Review and samples

soundimageplus

Top Veteran
5161323116_e78ec67871.jpg

A 3-part hands on personal set of reviews and samples by myself and others at:-

soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2010/11/voigtlander-25mm-nokt...
HANDLING AND PERFORMANCE

ON LOCATION

VIDEO - LINKS - SAMPLES

That is one fine lens, really sharp with awesome colour and contrast!! So can it just fit straight onto micro 4/3? also how much (I'm not going to like the answer i don't think!!)

Great Blog by the way, thanks for posting.

Great review ... thanks David

Very tempting what impresses is the f0.95, quality build and the close focusing at 0.17m ( I dont care much about lack of EXIF)
I have use MF legacy lenses on m43 (Minolta) but still have a preference for AF now (In my older years)

What I found is the most legacy MF lenses just don't focus close enough

The rumoured Panasonic 25/1.4 for me is a consideration but its going to be much like the 20/1.7 compact with poor close focusing ability (This is what I dislike most about the pancake) but it keeps the length short.

The Voigtlander 25/0.95 is definitely unique.

What I found is the most legacy MF lenses just don't focus close enough

I agree completely and for me thats the key feature. Some of my M-Mount lenses only focus to .7 and .9 of a metre, which limits their use somewhat. The ability to get close and isolate things is one of the great strengths of the 25mm for me.

Well, there's no point in making an M-mount lens focus to 0.17 meter, after all, because the rangefinder can't really focus that closely.

I'm glad to hear this one does -- it puts it on the map for me.

because the rangefinder can't really focus that closely.

Exactly and one of the problems of rangefinders. With m4/3 Voigtlander probably have somewhat more freedom with their lens design.
Just out of interest I place the lens in front of my M9 (Don't do this at home kids!!) and this is the result.

Attachments

• L1101175.jpg
    L1101175.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 564
Thanks for the review. Its one of those lenses I'd really love to have, but I know that I really wouldn't reach for it often enough to justify the expense. So, unless I hit the lottery, its probably not happening. But a nice one to drool over, and in the right hands a real gem.

-Ray

Back