yohan

Regular
Portra 400 pushed to 1600.
Voigtlander 40mm f1.4
R3APortra400@1600-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
R3APortra400@1600-5.jpg
R3APortra400@1600-22.jpg
R3APortra400@1600-23.jpg
R3APortra400@1600-31.jpg

so far so good! debating whether I'm taking the 40mm f1.4 or Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f2.
Well, you're heading into spring/early summer, so the f2 shouldn't be a problem, and as far as rendering and sharpness are concerned, I'm sure the Planar will smoke the Nokton big time - and I absolutely don't say this to put down the Nokton; I certainly like to shoot with mine. If I was able to only take one lens, it'd be the Planar, though, and I agree that the two lenses are somewhat similar. But really, where's the harm in taking both? They're so compact and light it wouldn't matter ...

If I went on such a journey with an M mount camera, I'd pack a 50mm (probably the Summicron because it's more versatile and even sharper than the Elmar - your Planar is said to be at least as good!), a 35mm (probably the Nokton, not the Biogon - f/1.4 instead of f/2.8) and the tiny 21mm f/4 Color-Skopar, including the somewhat bulky external viewfinder. No tele, but three very distinctive lenses for most occasions ...

M.

Well, you're heading into spring/early summer, so the f2 shouldn't be a problem, and as far as rendering and sharpness are concerned, I'm sure the Planar will smoke the Nokton big time - and I absolutely don't say this to put down the Nokton; I certainly like to shoot with mine. If I was able to only take one lens, it'd be the Planar, though, and I agree that the two lenses are somewhat similar. But really, where's the harm in taking both? They're so compact and light it wouldn't matter ...

If I went on such a journey with an M mount camera, I'd pack a 50mm (probably the Summicron because it's more versatile and even sharper than the Elmar - your Planar is said to be at least as good!), a 35mm (probably the Nokton, not the Biogon - f/1.4 instead of f/2.8) and the tiny 21mm f/4 Color-Skopar, including the somewhat bulky external viewfinder. No tele, but three very distinctive lenses for most occasions ...

Planar is definitely the sharper, contrastier of the two. No question. I've always been impressed with the Planar on film and digital. I like rendering of both lenses though. I've travelled with only a 35mm or 50mm. Thought 40mm would be a nice compromise as a wide standard.

I plan on taking my Olympus OM-4Ti with 24mm and 135mm as well. This is the only time I've traveled with two bodies. I like to keep my kit small and as small as the M mount lenses are, I'd like to take one lens only. I'll probably make a snap decision (pun intended) on the day I leave.

Back