Feedback Vote! "Unread" counts, leave them or remove them? šŸ¤”

Should we turn off the "unread" post count numbers in the menu bar?

• Yes - Remove them

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • No - Keep them

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • No Opinion - I'm good either way

Votes: 21 47.7%

• Total voters

Kevin

Code Monkey šŸ’
In follow-up to this thread...

Should the 'unread' post counts shown in the menu remain or remove them? To be clear, on large screen devices this is the number shown after "What's New" in the menu bar while on small screen devices this is the number shown in red on top of the lightning bolt icon.

I'll leave the poll open for a while but in the end if the majority of our members say to remove them then "What's New" and the lightning bolt icon will still be there but the numbers in red will be turned off.

1596747819492.png

1596747852814.png

I've never understood what those numbers represent- how to use them etc. My pref is to get rid of them, but no biggie.
I just checked these numbers don't exist on MU-43 sister site- looks much better.

Last edited:
For, the numbers are helpful - I always enter the site via "New Posts", and then use the Notifications icon to first check my preferred threads. The number helps assess the time I'll have to check everything I probably want to check. I'd be quite sad to lose the more exact information, but of course would manage without it.

Besides, just opening the notifications once while on the site gets rid of the number. No big deal for those who don't want to be bothered by the number - just make sure you check, then you're good.

M.

Being the lazy bum that I am, I almost exclusively use the 'latest post' list and the personal Alerts to see if anything was posted that I might want to check out. If I am looking for something specific, I will use the Search function or the forum tree. The Unread Posts I've used once or twice when it just appeared, and never since then.

The red flag does subconsciously cause my brains to release a teeny tiny droplet of stress hormone every time I see it, as in, 'I should be doing something with this'. So I voted to remove it.

Being the lazy bum that I am, I almost exclusively use the 'latest post' list and the personal Alerts to see if anything was posted that I might want to check out. If I am looking for something specific, I will use the Search function or the forum tree. The Unread Posts I've used once or twice when it just appeared, and never since then.

The red flag does subconsciously cause my brains to release a teeny tiny droplet of stress hormone every time I see it, as in, 'I should be doing something with this'. So I voted to remove it.
Exactly my opinion - only better phrased!

For, the numbers are helpful - I always enter the site via "New Posts", and then use the Notifications icon to first check my preferred threads. The number helps assess the time I'll have to check everything I probably want to check. I'd be quite sad to lose the more exact information, but of course would manage without it.

Besides, just opening the notifications once while on the site gets rid of the number. No big deal for those who don't want to be bothered by the number - just make sure you check, then you're good.

M.
1) I'm on a page that interests me
2) I open the notifications
3) I mark all forums read
4) I go back
5) I go back
6) And now I'm back to where I want to be, and, indeed, was, before this waste of time

Also all the other tabs I have open needs to be refreshed to get rid of this red eyesore.

Each and every one of these tabs taking X seconds to refresh.

On top of all this wasted time, as icing on the cake, I'm probably going to get carpal tunnel syndrome...
Screenshot_20200807-124502-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Screenshot_20200807-125302-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And these are just a few of the tabs open in my browser to Cameraderie...

My preferred threads are in the "Alerts" drop-down...

"What's New" is easily accessible by a single finger flick to get to the bottom of any page.

I'm just thinking this is a more logical way to get what I want... Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in the other thread on this topic, but figured Iā€™d drop it here as well:

I actually use it to see what threads have new posts since my last ā€œMark threads readā€ click, never really needing to dive into the actual forum categories.

I read the threads I want, then click mark threads read so itā€™s clear for my next visit. Works well for me.

It seems some people feel strongly about this. I don't. I can go through "What's new" as I used to do way back when ... But I found that notification pull-down an efficient way *on my laptops* to assess what needed a look and what didn't. I can see now how it may impede mobile use - I never do that, when I'm mobile, I'm on the move, usually no time for forum checking. So, of course, YMMV. However, Craig's screenshot shows that everyone's the master of their own fate in this case ...

Do what you will. I'm out of this. It's not as if we haven't lived without Notifications for ages ...

M.

I hadnā€™t thought of the use the mods might get from this. I donā€™t check every new post so my number just grows. If it makes their life easier, I can certainly ignore the red number. Unfortunately, I canā€™t change my vote.

Last edited:
It seems some people feel strongly about this. I don't. I can go through "What's new" as I used to do way back when ... But I found that notification pull-down an efficient way *on my laptops* to assess what needed a look and what didn't. I can see now how it may impede mobile use - I never do that, when I'm mobile, I'm on the move, usually no time for forum checking. So, of course, YMMV. However, Craig's screenshot shows that everyone's the master of their own fate in this case ...

Do what you will. I'm out of this. It's not as if we haven't lived without Notifications for ages ...

M.
I use my computers for other stuff. The important stuff. Mostly they are not even connected to the internet.

Back