Feedback Vote! "Unread" counts, leave them or remove them? šŸ¤”

Should we turn off the "unread" post count numbers in the menu bar?

• Yes - Remove them

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • No - Keep them

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • No Opinion - I'm good either way

Votes: 21 47.7%

• Total voters
Trying a temporary experiment... the count is still shown on the full "What's New" menu link but is turned off from the lightning bolt icon. The experiment is turn it off there and see if anybody complains who may not have come across this thread. Any complainants will be directed to this thread so they can submit their vote.

Trying a temporary experiment... the count is still shown on the full "What's New" menu link but is turned off from the lightning bolt icon. The experiment is turn it off there and see if anybody complains who may not have come across this thread. Any complainants will be directed to this thread so they can submit their vote.

I complain and Iā€™ve already voted against this :D

Honestly, I definitely prefer the old way as Iā€™ve been accustomed to using it and it works well for me, but Iā€™ll get over it.

Honestly, I definitely prefer the old way as Iā€™ve been accustomed to using it and it works well for me, but Iā€™ll get over it.
I'm actually surprised at the number of "Remove Them" votes. Considering that we don't display ads or other annoying content, having a number shown on the screen is pretty innocuous not affecting anything. šŸ˜• But at least there's still things in life that surprise me after all these years. :)

Iā€™d be happy with a simple way to turn these off for myself- itā€™s not necessary to turn for those that want/use this feature.
There was mention of a lightning bolt logo...where is that? What function?

I noticed the absence of the red counter as soon as I entered! First I thought that I hallucinated, but opened some other tabs, and it's still gone. Checked my alerts, and found your reply! It's soo soothing! Thanks so much!
I sincerely hope for this state of site notifications to last! If not, I'm enjoying it while it lasts!

Iā€™d be happy with a simple way to turn these off for myself- itā€™s not necessary to turn for those that want/use this feature.
There was mention of a lightning bolt logo...where is that? What function?
Between the Refresh and Search icons at the top of the window. Click this Flash/Lightning Bolt icon and you go to the What's New page.

I'm sorry for you, but just click the main menu button (three lines in the upper left corner) and you'll have your number in its full red glowing glory. Anyway, I'll have to take full responsibility for this, as I was the one who kicked the ant hill in the first place. I owe you one...

I'm sorry for you, but just click the main menu button (three lines in the upper left corner) and you'll have your number in its full red glowing glory. Anyway, I'll have to take full responsibility for this, as I was the one who kicked the ant hill in the first place. I owe you one...

Yep, figured that method out quickly yesterday evening. Itā€™s an extra click, but no biggie. Otherwise, it works exactly like the Lighting Bolt flag did.

If you, and the other users voting to get rid of it (more than those that wanted to keep it) are happy, then itā€™s a net win.

Yep, figured that method out quickly yesterday evening. Itā€™s an extra click, but no biggie. Otherwise, it works exactly like the Lighting Bolt flag did.

If you, and the other users voting to get rid of it (more than those that wanted to keep it) are happy, then itā€™s a net win.
We're good then? But I still owe you one!

For me, it feels like some chronic, dull, pain has vanished. Go figure, that one small square disappearing can make such a difference to me!

I'm thinking it was mostly the colour that was telling my subconscious to react, while my conscious mind knew that it was of absolutely no importance to me.

Cognitive dissonance, in freakin' spades!

EDIT: just checked my number. It's 384. And I don't mind it one little bit!

Last edited:
I feel stupid that it took so much time to figure out. I posted images in Macro forum and I clicked on "What's new" and macro thread did not appear. I was wondering why is that for a long time until I saw this:

1639665698911.png

Removed that little tag and everything worked as I expected. But hold on - It comes back if you click on "What's new" again.
Probably not the right place but I found this thread closest to what I had in mind.

I quite like the What new and the red stuff, when I am done browsing for whatever takes my fancy or treads I have posted in, I somewhat habitually look on whats on offering in that segment.

3388 to go... šŸ„³

Back