Fuji VSCO Film 01 adds Fuji X profiles

Jay I like your color version/editing, so I started to search. Then I found out these shots that are done with the Portra 800HC preset from his dpreview post:

chris sorensen - hong kong portrait & travel photographer - sri lanka

I don't know how much editing required to get these but they look excellent.

Yeah, Chris's stuff is amazing. It's been posted a few times on mu-43.com and elsewhere as he shot with an Olympus OM-D EM-5 for a while and then the X-E1. I love the processing he does and he's said before it was a heavily modified VSCO preset, but I'm not sure what kind of modifications are required to get that particular look. :2thumbs:

I've been playing around with VSCO a bit more and have been getting better results. The free form tweaking I had been doing to the presets typically consisted of adjustments to vibrance, clarity, saturation and selective sharpening among other things, whereas now I've pretty much been limiting them to white balance, exposure and global sharpening. All other tweaking has been done with the VSCO Toolkit. These aren't anything special, but they are the only shots I've processed recently from the Fuji, as I've been shooting my 5DII a bit more recently.

Kodak Portra 400

8911842154_5c02ae7fc3_c.jpg

DSCF2836 by ericarthur, on Flickr

8911246937_7139b0a627_c.jpg

DSCF2838 by ericarthur, on Flickr

Kodak Portra 400 (from the 5DII)

View attachment 13702
Bedhead by ericarthur, on Flickr

Seems like VSCO Film is something that I will have to purchase and play around!

Great images everybody! :D

agreed!

The only issue I have is that I just picked up Alien Skin Exposure 4 though...for those that have used both, which do you like better and can you name some pro's/con's of both? I mainly work on my files through LR4.4.

agreed!

The only issue I have is that I just picked up Alien Skin Exposure 4 though...for those that have used both, which do you like better and can you name some pro's/con's of both? I mainly work on my files through LR4.4.

I've only used VSCO and only recently at that, but this guy does a nice comparison with samples Alien Skin Exposure vs. VSCO Film - EATSLEEPREPEAT.NET

Here is his summary:

"Exposure’s results are more pleasing to me, and in cases where I need to lift blacks or flatten things out I have more leeway to do so (that, and I’m already in Photoshop…). As aforementioned, it’s Exposure’s grain that really puts in ahead in my books: VSCO’s grain “scans” are too static. Many of us use film emulations for the grain, and nailing that is important.

Both are about the same price: Exposure is $199 and VSCO Film is $119 per pack. Film 02 has updated Portra presets; Film 01 has Pro 400H and Tri-X (I’d buy 01, personally). VSCO has a neat little preset “toolkit” for tinting shadows, highlights and making other minor tweaks, and ultimately is more friendly to use as a result. Exposure has a lot of other emulations (Kodachrome!), and offers a lot of choice (too much?) for those who want that.

It’s a tough call. VSCO really makes your workflow easy: fix first, hit the preset and tweak if needed. Exposure is a bit clunkier and you end up with 100MB+ TIFFs eating up some space (even if space is cheap these days), although Lightroom automatic stacking makes this a minor issue overall. But Exposure’s advantages—nicer grain, more natural saturation and more “pop” (however you quantify that)—outweigh the negatives."

Back