W/NW Color Portraits

07CFFEF1-A925-4C9C-BD65-2D42A7786311.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have been thinking about this for quite a long time now, I think I can have the courage to share this image but I will put the context of the image and the image itself in separate spoilers because it can be a very difficult subject for people to read and/or see. Warning, premature unborn baby.

Today, 2 years ago, I was woken up by a phone call. It was a day off work and my girlfriend was at the hospital for a routine checkup on our 23-week pregnancy. She was crying and barely found the words to say: They can't find her heartbeat. My entire sense of self disappeared and all I could feel was the weight and the gravity pulling me down, I felt the floor hitting me hard and realized I had fallen off the bed. I couldn't think, speak, or feel, everything was a blur like I was on automatic and before I could even catch up with myself I was already dressed, off the bus, at the hospital. The nurses tried multiple times to find our daughter's heartbeat but there were no sounds. I could hardly hear anything, people would talk to me but I couldn't hear anything, couldn't make any sense. I haven't talked to anyone about this for the last 2 years, I had a therapist to talk to eventually but everything was more in general conversation. I haven't relived this since. The doctor gave my girlfriend some medication and told us to come back in 24 to 48 hours, we came back on the 28th and it was one of the hardest days of my life but even that paled in comparison to what she had to go through ... at 16 minutes past midnight of 29th our daughter was born, so-to-speak, and our lives have never been the same. We had a few minutes with her and agreed to have a few pictures taken, as painful as it was it's better to have them to be able to look back upon than regret never having them. This is one of the pictures. I have wondered if I should share this but I have tried really hard to hope that if I do at least it won't be locked up in my mind and in my heart and it could make me feel a bit less alone.

When she was in my hand I sang her this song:

Sorry, the song is Romanian but here are the lyrics translated into English:

I’m looking for a star, a star of my own,
A falling star to replace your absence,
To name it after you,
To bid farewell to it like I didn’t get to tell you.

I’m looking for you among the stars, I’m slipping through them,
Waiting to see you again till dawn,
Why didn’t you tell me you were a falling star?
On whose sky will you rise? There are clouds on mine.

Du ru ru ru ru ru ru, a star,
Du ru ru ru ru ru ru, my own,
Du ru ru ru ru ru ru, my own.
my own

The clouds are coming, one by one,
I stay here waiting and hoping I’ll see you again someday
I’m left without you, I can’t even speak,
I’m walking silently among strangers, I’m taking another step.

Du ru ru ru ru ru ru, my own,
Du ru ru ru ru ru ru, my own.
My own.

On whose sky will you rise? There are clouds on mine?

Waiting to see you again till down,

I’m looking for a star, a star of my own.
Deepcentral - O stea lyrics + English translation

Saya.jpg

What a tragic event. That must have been incredibly devastating for you both.
It was, it was very difficult and painful time to recover but my girlfriend passed away in her sleep 3 months later, on the 11th of November, from heart failure. I still have panic attacks in the night and really bad depression and crying episodes for th last 2 years, August to November are the worst time of the year for me.

I was suppose to get a tattoo in memory of our daughter yesterday but the tattoo artist's secretary messed up my appointment and was late and they overbooked so now I have to wait for Halloween to get it.
I am trying to find ways to move on and heal, keep her in my mind and my heart.

I am trying to find the courage to join a volunteer group called Remember My Baby, local to South West England, to edit these kinds of images for other parents or volunteer to photograph the babies for the grieving parents.

Yus, that's one of my worries, being an emotional wreck crashing into other people's lives is not what I want to do. But at some point I won't know until I try.
Look, I'm no expert in this type of thing at all but here are my personal thoughts, for what it's worth.
It's very noble of you to want to help others that are experiencing similar grief with which you can empathise.
BUT on the downside, the heavy tax on YOUR mindset might be detrimental to your healing.
Give it more time until you feel stronger within yourself. This is all too recent and very raw.

I suffered a traumatic loss in 2011. That's twelve years ago now and I still inadvertently get goosebumps on my arms when any reminder of the event comes up -
like a cold veil being hung over me.

Back