Fuji Showcase WAIT! This can't BE! SPORTS with an XPRO2?!?!

SRHEdD

Regular
Name
Steven
As I was leaving this morning to shoot a lacrosse scrimmage my son was playing in, I decided to NOT take my Sony A9 and 100-400GM, and instead try out my new XPRO2 and 55-200XF. I have to say I was amazed at the ease of use and the quality of the files! These are jpgs with a touch of crop and color work, but very, very little. No more than my with my Sony files. I thought this wasn't a sports camera. It might not be a Nikon D5 or Sony A9, but it held its own nicely for my use. This was a very overcast day, btw.

I'm still learning this camera, so put it in my AUTO2 ISO with a range of 200-1600, and then Shutter Priority at 1/2000 (I like the feet and sticks sharp), and Pattern metering. I still choose my AF point in AF-S, just my preference after years of experimenting. After years of Nikon FF, then Sony, this amazes me from an APS-C sensor!

DSCF0256b.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSCF0233b.jpg

Last edited:
It’s often more that you know your gear and how it works and know what you’re shooting and what it requires than your gear is not capable for something. Cameras are different and some shots are easier with one camera than with another. But basically everything is possible with all cameras. E.g. these snaps taken with Fuji X100S and good enough for me :D

187DAB16-5E75-4FC9-9B1D-C7A706B29075.jpeg
ABB845CF-979A-4BBC-9CDB-0AF37B765CD8.jpeg
BB427B4A-7162-40D5-B181-6AD4FEFC329A.jpeg

It’s often more that you know your gear and how it works and know what you’re shooting and what it requires than your gear is not capable for something. Cameras are different and some shots are easier with one camera than with another. But basically everything is possible with all cameras. E.g. these snaps taken with Fuji X100S and good enough for me :D

View attachment 193397 View attachment 193398 View attachment 193400
Extremely well done. "Know your camera" as I'm sure someone's said.

Agreed, we all see decent work from an iPhone, I was just surprised at how easy it was with the XPRO2. 8FPS, fast AF, easy to handle, and great jpgs.

Some pinhead FB troll said that with enough DOF, any camera would work, but there is still some degree of experience, talent and timing that goes along with pointing "any" camera in the right direction at just the right instant.

As I was leaving this morning to shoot a lacrosse scrimmage my son was playing in, I decided to NOT take my Sony A9 and 100-400GM, and instead try out my new XPRO2 and 55-200XF. I have to say I was amazed at the ease of use and the quality of the files! These are jpgs with a touch of crop and color work, but very, very little. No more than my with my Sony files. I thought this wasn't a sports camera. It might not be a Nikon D5 or Sony A9, but it held its own nicely for my use. This was a very overcast day, btw.

I'm still learning this camera, so put it in my AUTO2 ISO with a range of 200-1600, and then Shutter Priority at 1/2000 (I like the feet and sticks sharp), and Pattern metering. I still choose my AF point in AF-S, just my preference after years of experimenting. After years of Nikon FF, then Sony, this amazes me from an APS-C sensor!

View attachment 193390 View attachment 193391
Folks used to shoot sports with film and manual focus. It took a very non-trivial skill set, however. The problem is occasionally shooting sports when you have had not time to build up that skill set. Some cameras have amazing tracking and make the process simpler. You sir are clearly a master of the XPro2. Just to say, these shots look awesome on my big monitor, especially that second LAX shot.

I'll tell you, the morning after, it has me questioning my FF investment. I love my Sonys, the Fujis were supposed to be my travel/fun kit, but...

Last edited:
I acquired FF, Nikon Df, because I like the camera, aesthetics and how it works well with manual focus lens, like Voigtländer 58mm Nokton. Not because I thought I needed it for something. I’ve tried couple of times to bond with Sonys. Image quality very good, but just did not inspire to shoot.
I bought technically relic, compared to newer cameras, Leica M8, and just because it inspires.
So my advice is, listen to your heart, use whatever makes you enjoy photography and express yourself. Just simple as that :D

Until recently I used my cameras to make a living. I still have a few freelance clients, so I can’t downsize too much, but the X-Pro 2 is very satisfying so far.

Until recently I used my cameras to make a living. I still have a few freelance clients, so I can’t downsize too much, but the X-Pro 2 is very satisfying so far.

Aah, different case then. However not so many clients can make a difference when viewing ready images, but they usually recognise the size of camera and lenses, and compact can’t be good (enough), right? ;)

Back