Fuji Waiting for X100s, Sony thoughts, and lessons of the fixed 35 camera

lapdog99

Regular
I have been a Sony NEX7 shooter (among others) since it came out. After borrowing a CZ24 from BL at the G+ conference, I was ready to buy one, and then the X100s was announced. I have decided to spend the money on the X100s, keeping the 18-200 and a 10-18, and see what I can do with the Fuji X. Part of the reasoning was readying the brilliant Ming Thein blog post on how much was learned by going "back" to a fixed 35mm equivalent camera vs. interchangeable prime and telephoto lenses. With smaller cameras, it is easier to carry several plus an iPhone vs. an SLR assortment, especially on the street or a long hike.

Now, if Amazon will just send the camera. I look forward to capturing images like my father did with his Retina C3 so many years ago.

The thing that may keep me away from the X100s (or the Sony RX1) is that fixed 35mm lens. Not that it's fixed, but that it's 35mm. I just haven't been able to get comfortable with that focal length in recent years - in my youth I remember being quite fond of it but that might have just been that I didn't have much experience with anything wider. These days, I still love fixed lens cameras, but I'm much more at home in the 24-28mm neighborhood. Which is why I'm considering the new Nikon fixed lens at 28 more than the X100s. But I already have a GXR 28 that serves the same role brilliantly, so I'm not sure what, if anything I'm going to buy.

But if the focal length is right for you, I think you're making the right move. Just walk around with that for a couple months and see how it goes. It looks to be an awesome camera if the focal length is right - all of the pluses of the X100 with none of the minuses and some real improvements even to the pluses!

-Ray

I have been a Sony NEX7 shooter (among others) since it came out. After borrowing a CZ24 from BL at the G+ conference, I was ready to buy one, and then the X100s was announced. I have decided to spend the money on the X100s, keeping the 18-200 and a 10-18, and see what I can do with the Fuji X. Part of the reasoning was readying the brilliant Ming Thein blog post on how much was learned by going "back" to a fixed 35mm equivalent camera vs. interchangeable prime and telephoto lenses. With smaller cameras, it is easier to carry several plus an iPhone vs. an SLR assortment, especially on the street or a long hike.

Now, if Amazon will just send the camera. I look forward to capturing images like my father did with his Retina C3 so many years ago.

I'm also anxiously awaiting my new s.I have two ordered.One from B&H and another from Amazon.Whichever ships first gets my business.I got my X100 as a reaction to having too many lens choices with my OM-D.I wanted to hone my skills without the distraction of different focal lengths to choose from.I love it and I think it has worked.I'm getting better with my composition and framing.I have on occasion,carried both cameras and some lenses but it kind of defeats the goal of having a more simplfied shooting experience.I prefer to walk out the door with one or the other and just make it work.

Back