Fuji Waiting (im)patiently for the 8mm f/3.5 announcement

AndyMcD

All-Pro
I’m assuming (hoping, actually) that the new UWA will be announced later this month in the Fuji summit. I’ll be really tempted by it if the price is reasonable and the specs look good. Otherwise it will be back to trying to find a decent Laowa 9/2.8 I think.

It feels to me like this lens will be at the mid-level of their lens line up, so hoping it might be priced around the same as the new 30mm macro, but I worry it might end up closer to the 16/1.4 price.

I don’t normally get this hung up on new lens announcements but this one is in my current GAS itch area around getting a decent UWA.

Price is confirmed at $799 with availability by end of June.

It looks pretty small and light, minimum focus distance is 0.18m but it is weather sealed.

I have ordered a Laowa 9mm f/2.8 that should be here tomorrow :)

Last edited:
The price has been also a let down for me. Since the lens looked to fit quite well into their "Fujicron" line of lenses, I was expecting a retail price of somewhere between EUR 400 and EUR 500. Inflation be damned let it even be EUR 550 or something. However the European price is set to not less than EUR 899 MSRP. o_O
Just for comparison: The new 23mm f1.4 WR is also €899, the 90mm f2 is €999 or the 33mm f1.4 WR is €789. So that's quite a premium priced lens here.

Personally I'm afraid I'll pass for now and maybe, like Andy, I'll look into some MF options from 3rd party brands.

The price has been also a let down for me. Since the lens looked to fit quite well into their "Fujicron" line of lenses, I was expecting a retail price of somewhere between EUR 400 and EUR 500. Inflation be damned let it even be EUR 550 or something. However the European price is set to not less than EUR 899 MSRP. o_O
Just for comparison: The new 23mm f1.4 WR is also €899, the 90mm f2 is €999 or the 33mm f1.4 WR is €789. So that's quite a premium priced lens here.

Personally I'm afraid I'll pass for now and maybe, like Andy, I'll look into some MF options from 3rd party brands.
Seems like it needs to be an f/1-something to get that asking price. I don’t even see that it has OIS. It must have really good optics or Fuji HR needs to target the marketing department during the next random drug test round.

I was expecting it to be same price as the 33/1.4 but it is a big jump.

Back