walk around the wetlands

tilman

All-Pro
We just went for a short walk today at a nearby wetland regional park.
Of course I didn't think of bringing a long lens :doh: a stupid mistake because at a previous visit we saw a bald eagle attack a barred owl in mid-air... Guess I'm still not quite back in the game yet :)
Saw a bunch of bald eagles with their young this time around. And swans and all sorts of ducks...

A wonderful walk on an amazing winter day! :)

46719759311_52fef239bc_h.jpg
Saturday walk
by tilman paulin, on Flickr

45804428755_1a907fa771_c.jpg
Saturday walk

46719751931_0ea83c58dd_b.jpg
Saturday walk

45804430255_e95cd20430_b.jpg
bald eagle

45804429925_2fea8dafd0_b.jpg
young bald eagle

45804429235_a4e50e79ed_b.jpg
Saturday walk

46719770121_d4620d4b78_b.jpg
Saturday walk

some serious wow......love the young baldie...they really have some different coloring in their youth.

And I love the composition and use of depth of field in the last one.....really makes me feel like I'm there.

And I love the composition and use of depth of field in the last one.....really makes me feel like I'm there.
Cheers Luke!
Yeah, that last one took quite a few attempts to get the composition right.
Often the best shot in a series is the first one (before you start to overthink a photo :) ), but sometimes it takes some time to find the right spot and angle... :)

Yeah, those are very nice. I've never succeeded in getting an image of a Bald Eagle in the wild. Closest I came was when I was biking along a remote river early one morning, and had stopped for some river photos in the dim light. A young eagle came around a bend in the river, flying low and slow nearly directly overhead. I had a wide angle lens on the camera, so I just stopped and watched. As if to rub it in, the eagle flew a short ways upstream, turned around, and flew low over me again in the other direction. It was a memorable experience, but no photos from it.

Just finished clearing snow off our 300ft Driveway.
These images warmed me up.

Over here the normal winter day is loads of rain - but at least you don't have to shovel that :redface:
Sun is definitely a welcome interruption.

Yeah, those are very nice. I've never succeeded in getting an image of a Bald Eagle in the wild. Closest I came was when I was biking along a remote river early one morning, and had stopped for some river photos in the dim light. A young eagle came around a bend in the river, flying low and slow nearly directly overhead. I had a wide angle lens on the camera, so I just stopped and watched. As if to rub it in, the eagle flew a short ways upstream, turned around, and flew low over me again in the other direction. It was a memorable experience, but no photos from it.

Bald Eagles are not an uncommon sight in the Pacific Northwest. Enough wetlands and estuaries - and the coast of course.

These are from today (went back today to soak up some more sun - brought the E-M1 and Oly 75-300mm along)

46733220881_db191811b8_c.jpg
bald eagles

46680471062_c0481dc92f_b.jpg
bald eagles

46680468282_3d262cac19_c.jpg
bald eagles

Last edited:
Back