Leica Walk at the Snail Lake Regional Park

Thanks Vince and Chalkdust. It was almost completely natural to shoot, the only thing I couldn't figure out the ISO setting. Why do I think that could have been made much easier to understand and set? ;)

Thanks Vince and Chalkdust. It was almost completely natural to shoot, the only thing I couldn't figure out the ISO setting. Why do I think that could have been made much easier to understand and set? ;)

press and hold the ISO button then press the up or down arrow if I remember correctly. I guess it is to make sure you do not accidentally change the iso

Thanks, Vince. I'll certainly give that a try. It just seems odd that it's just not intuitive with a Leica camera, I know they work very hard at that.

The 25mm Biogon came and that was on my walk. First picture is with that, I do like the sharpness with this lens!

Carl, I had that 25mm at one time and also thought that it was nice. I never did try it with the M 240, only the A7 (not the r). I ended selling it because I ended up going with the 28mm Elmarit ASPH instead since I don't need that wide any way and I like the smaller profile. You are doing great with the setup.

BTW, so now that you have the M 240 for some time, how do you rate the camera?

Regards
Vince

Hi Vince. The M240 is a great photographic beast. I very much like how it operates. Still working manual versus auto ISO, but other than that a very intuitive camera.

The focus peaking with just the right magnification makes EVF focus a breeze. Having the option to use non-rangefinder lenses is a real bonus, but I look forward to taking the camera out with just rangefinder lenses (have the 25mm rf now). Leave the EVF at home: simple, with a great connection to the shot.

Back screen is great, perhaps there are better but I don't know what I'd be missing.

The sensor is something! I love the detail that can be pulled from the shot, or being able to crop a lot yet still be of great quality. I do appreciate the dynamic range and low-noise, makes for very workable image files. Do wish it had auto-cleaning and image stabilization. Those aren't just passing fads. :)

I don't know how much the sensor's 'micro-lenses' are helping, I've noticed a green shift at the right edge of some shots with the 25mm. A tweaked magenta gradient in post takes care of that for the most part. From what I've read, the ff Sony sensors suffer more from this?

So what's up with the leveling tool though? It's just funny: you can switch to that to see if you're level, but you can't display that and the image at the same time. I suppose it would be helpful for tripod work. (My guess is the hardware doesn't support both at the same time, and the software guys threw up their hands.)

Build: I expected the best, it doesn't disappoint there.

It's a keeper. Thanks again, you kept it in great shape while you owned it. I'll no-doubt put much more wear on it. :)

Carl, one trick that I employ is the use of 3M vinyl tape. I usually tape up my camera so that I can use it without having to worry about putting too much wear. The 3m 471 vinyl tape is the one I use. I carefull tape over most of the exposed surface but making sure that I use a cling wrap to cover area with engravings. I know it is a bit OCD and takes a lot of time. I used that back in the 80's with all my black paint camera from Nikon F2AS to Contax G2 black. It keeps them nice looking and when you pull off the tape, it usually does not leave any residue. If you find some residue, a little rubbing alcohol usually cleans them up.

Vince

Great idea, Vince. I might go for that - or I might just let it get the used look.

Seriously, a bit on the top corners wouldn't be bad at all. Protect it a bit in the glovebox, etc.

Back