Walking with Elephants

olli

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
olli
We just got back from a trip to Luang Prabang in Laos where we signed up for an elephant trek with Mandalao tours. They are the only organisation in Luang Prabang running tours that don't allow riding on the elephants, which was what we wanted. Here are a few pictures from our tour. I'll post some more later.

First, a view over the Nam Khan river to the forests and mountains where the elephants roam when not meeting their visitors.

DSCF6731.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A short boat trip across the river and a few minutes later our elephants appear - an 11 month old baby, his mother and the matriarch of the herd.

DSCF6748.jpg

Next, a feeding frenzy as we try to keep the banana supply up to speed for three hungry elephants.

DSCF6754.jpg

I was surprised at how soft their skin was. I had always imagined it to be tough, leathery. Surprised too at how gently they take the bananas from you and at how tight their grip when you accidentally leave your hand in there.

DSCF6768.jpg

After that it was down to the river.

DSCF6788.jpg

DSCF6790-Edit.jpg

And time to wash them down. We got to join in. Obviously I didn't take the camera in with me.

DSCF6792.jpg

Now it's time for a roll in the dirt...

DSCF6802.jpg

...and a scratch...

DSCF6812.jpg

...before heading off into the forest for a walk.

DSCF6829.jpg

Last edited:
For those interested in knowing a little bit more about our recent elephant tour in Laos I've published a quick write up on Medium with a few more images.

Back