War Photography

Gary

All-Pro
Name
Gary Ayala
The LA Times, (April 21), has a rather extensive article on War Photography. Much different than I expected, more of War Photography 101, an intelectual examination, comparisons and contrasts between art (paintings) and photography. Some interesting quotes:

"George Bernard Shaw said he would willingly exchange every painting of the crucified Christ for a single snapshop of him on the cross."

Something to ponder ...

James Salter, at the beginning of his new novel, "All That Is", writes "Everything, writes Salter, was happening at two speeds, 'the desperate haste of action and also at a lesser speed, that of fate.'"

This is so true, in combat everything, but you, is moving in fast motion and your heart is pounding out of your chest in a destrate attempt to catch up.

The article is titled "The shutter speed of fate".

Interesting reading.

Gary

Old thread, constant subject. The war in Ukraine has been running a month now. There is TV coverage which is pretty good. The regular streaming channels including the BBC. But is there any place where the photographs of this war are posted?

Old thread, constant subject. The war in Ukraine has been running a month now. There is TV coverage which is pretty good. The regular streaming channels including the BBC. But is there any place where the photographs of this war are posted?
I haven't watched the TV coverage at all. I've come to the conclusion that investing time in television news is often counterproductive to gaining wisdom or even knowledge.

I've found that all the major English language newspapers I read (NYT, WaPo, Guardian, even the LA Times) have consistently good photojournalism.

That said, while a still photograph can capture the horror of war it is exceedingly difficult to capture its scope. Which leaves one to supplement photographs with some other news source. For me, that's a few selected podcasts as well as a closely curated list of twitter follows.

Two of the legs of my personal three-legged stool of information came together recently with a gripping account told on NYT'S podcast The Daily of how the photograph accompanying this article came about.

- K

Last edited:
Back