Fuji Warming up to new X100S

gidal

Rookie
I am really struggling with this camera:
- blur blur blur (50% keeper rate)
- WTH AF (50% of the time)
- wishy-washy metering (50%, either +1/3 or -1/3)
- CA hell
- Moire party like the 80's
- Missing that higher resolution & lens sharpness, for cropping

I understand the last 4 items are really limitation of the camera and can only be avoided by carefully framing the shots.
But the first 3 items, I'm planning to use it a lot more and tame this "wild" camera.

- Low battery indicator is very FUNNY, Fuji! Except I'm not laughing.
First time it happened to me yesterday. Was shooting happily, until the low batt warning showed and before I knew it, it shutdown itself.
As if the camera was playing a joke on me: Keep going, keep going, just kidding, shutdown!

I guess I must've underestimated it, when I thought it was going to behave like a smaller version of my DSLR.
I realized now that I've been spoiled by my other system.

No, it's not for sale :D

Here's a test shot:
10250916293_ba573a6cc4_b.jpg

DSCF1625 by bigpow, on Flickr

It took me a few shots, to get this mediocre snapshot -
I'm pretty confident that I only need 1 shot to get this right the 1st time and with better IQ, with my other system.

If you post some of the shots you think are poor, with exif data, folks here will likely help. There's a lot of knowledge here and don't be afraid to ask for help. I'm new to my x100 and the info here has helped me a lot.

I still have a long way to go, but stick with it, it's a unique camera that is capable of incredible images and more than anything, it makes you "want" to get out and take photos...once you experience that "magic", you'll have a hard time using any other camera...

Welcome to the forum Gidal!

What shutter speeds are you getting blur from?

I do experience AF innacuracies with my X100 even when there's focus confirmation. It happens to me primarily at close focus ranges 2 feet and closer, not using macro, and shooting at f2. But not at the tune of 50% for sure.

Assuming the X100 and X100S' lens are the same one, it is a good lens. Not great (again) at close ranges at f2. But still very good. At longer ranges, to my eyes anyway, it renders lots of detail.

Thanks for the welcomes.

I'll resort to posting awful captures for when I'm absolutely baffled. For now, it's just a new system, simply need more hours. Not the first system for me, so hopefully it won't take too long before I can just enjoy shooting with it.

Sticking with it. Sticking with it. Sticking with it. Sticking with it. Sticking with it.

Been shooting with it everyday now - starting to get used to the X100S attitudes, it likes and dislikes.

An unusual warm weather in the city:
10337685145_6df1b9f1b7_c.jpg

DSCF1695 by bigpow, on Flickr

A usual lazing cat:
10337680544_44f56684e1_c.jpg

DSCF1734 by bigpow, on Flickr

10337687155_b72765e63b_c.jpg

DSCF1744 by bigpow, on Flickr

Last, I like how this one turned out, soft & dreamy (3:2 crop probably work better, but sticking with 16:9 for full screen display):
10337685975_ae41299852_c.jpg

DSCF1756 by bigpow, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

After several months with the X100S I love it but it's not quite perfect and ,yes, you need spare batteries ......

I seem to dial in exposure compensation rather more with the X100S than other cameras.
Initially I thought that I'd run -1/3 as normal as many shots were overexposed but that didn't work too well. Now I pay more attention to exposure.

The X Trans sensor also seems to struggle with Greens in bright light making everything too vivid ( artificial ) for my taste. I've not found an effective way of calming them down in post processing.
In dull light the greens come out just fine.....I guess it's down to too many green pixels!

I've also started to use a minimum of 1/125 shutter speed with auto iso as I've had too many shaky shots...still not sure why , as I can normally handhold to 1/30 or less.

Never had a problem with Moire , AF accuracy or CA ( watch those poor RAW Converters ) and I love the resolution and handling.

Right now I'm looking at my old X100 in a new light since the firmware upgrade this morning.
I would miss the extra resolution of the X100S but I live in a very green environment and that suits the old Bayer sensor.

This is one of the reasons I second guess myself on upgrading to the x100s...the smearing/weirdness of green foliage detail is a well know issue. I'm not sure I can get past that, a lot of my photos are outdoors as well.

Oh, that is strange about your shaky shots and having to go to 1/125 shutter speed...does this happen with your old x100? I'm curious...
No , never did bother me then.
It may be that I'm just too careless and snappy these days and that every other camera has Stabilisation!
I can still handhold at 1/8 if given a bit of a prop and time to breathe properly :)

a few more snapshots taken this week:

10585218994_6da5936549_c.jpg

DSCF1956-2 by bigpow, on Flickr

10585193276_61d012a212.jpg

DSCF1888 by bigpow, on Flickr

10585192876_82232c25ce_c.jpg

DSCF1890 by bigpow, on Flickr

10585569673_74ac38096c_n.jpg

DSCF1804 by bigpow, on Flickr

10585442203_028867bfaa_c.jpg

DSCF1802 by bigpow, on Flickr

I'm still struggling very much with the X100S' exposure meter.
So far I'm stuck with using spot focus and focus & recompose to "force" the X100S to expose correctly.
Left on its own, it'd meter +1 to -1, hardly hit 0.
I suppose I could use manual everything, but 90% of the time I need speed - and I'm not skilled enough to use full manual quickly.

Macro mode is mediocre, at best. Probably by design (limitation of system), but I swear I think my old Canon S95 took better macro shots.

Night photography is fun with this camera. It's very encouraging - made me want to stay out longer at night.

I think a camera is like a book. I pick up a book, open at random and read a paragraph. I will know instantly if I am going to like it. Camera? Same! You have had it for a while and still not comfy. I don't think you will ever like it to be honest.....always finding or looking for something to fault. Nothing wrong with that of course. If I were you, cut your losses be rid and find something you like.

all the best

Pete

I think a camera is like a book. I pick up a book, open at random and read a paragraph. I will know instantly if I am going to like it. Camera? Same! You have had it for a while and still not comfy. I don't think you will ever like it to be honest.....always finding or looking for something to fault. Nothing wrong with that of course. If I were you, cut your losses be rid and find something you like.

all the best

Pete

Respectfully disagree, unlike book, camera can be learned.
For example, I could never learn to like those romance novels with Fabio as front page illustrations. :)

Hence why I'm posting this thread. So more seasoned X100S owners could show me the ropes. Especially those coming / shooting FF DSLR, like myself.
I'm so new at this, I can't even tell whether its the camera limitations, or myself - this is where your tips & opinions count/appreciated.

Gotta tell ya.......I love mine. Despite some quirks. I do recommend you read; if you haven't already, Rico's (Flysurfers) x Pert corner articles. Especially this one
Using the X100S - Fuji Rumors

Respectfully disagree, unlike book, camera can be learned.
For example, I could never learn to like those romance novels with Fabio as front page illustrations. :)

Hence why I'm posting this thread. So more seasoned X100S owners could show me the ropes. Especially those coming / shooting FF DSLR, like myself.
I'm so new at this, I can't even tell whether its the camera limitations, or myself - this is where your tips & opinions count/appreciated.

so.......any improvement? Did you read the Rico file?

I am finding it more difficult to handle this camera because of my Parkinson's tremor, but you will have to prise t from my cold dead fingers for me to give it up.

Re you shaky shots, have you tried "shutter mash". Works well for me on bad shakes days.

so.......any improvement? Did you read the Rico file?

I am finding it more difficult to handle this camera because of my Parkinson's tremor, but you will have to prise t from my cold dead fingers for me to give it up.

Re you shaky shots, have you tried "shutter mash". Works well for me on bad shakes days.

Useful, especially the DR explanation.
But, doesn't really address my issues.
I set Auto ISO with 1/125s shutter speed and still get blurry shots, due to AF.
Focus & recompose could be why (also mentioned as big no no), but then again, I don't understand why at only f/2.0 and 2.8 and 23mm (considering DoF/circle of confusion), it'd be problematic.
Completely fine doing this with DSLR and anything slower than f/1.4 (at this FL).

As for metering inconsistencies, the trick with locking exposure and moving AF slightly work - but this feels more like a workaround.

Again, I'm spoiled here and I'm the one that needs to adjust to whatever the X100S does.

At this point, as long as this camera behaves like any other X100S, I'm content. Just don't want to get stuck with a lemon unit, that's all.

Back