Leica Wartime Sonnar 1:4 f=13.5cm

film_fascist

Rookie
Name
Todd
Just arrived!

Took a chance on what was described as badly scratched lens only to find a few whispy cleaning marks. I love it when sellers over emphasize the flaws! Only real bummer was the dent in the filter ring.

And now for some pics!

33454761122_1f426e065d.jpg

32802317953_dd3f95e003.jpg

33570594626_515a2302ea.jpg

That is a rare lens, you are very lucky.

It's an early "T" lens- the inner coatings are soft, if you do open it up- be very careful. The Sonnar 5cm F1.5 of that SN range use set screws hidden under the aperture ring to hold the namering in place, and a set screw to hold the rear section in.

I look forward to seeing some shots taken with it.

For $55 on Ebay, I picked up a J-11 in Leica mount with a Leitz M-Mount adapter. The German made adapters often fetch that price!

I want to see if the focus mount can house the German Sonnar optics module. I also want to take a look at the internal cam- see if it can be adjusted if need be. Basically- the lens was free with the adapter.

Try your Sonnar out on the Leica, close-up and wide-open and then at infinity. I suspect there is a difference in the internal Cam of the true German mades focus mounts (yours) and the J-11.

If it is not hard to get to: I might try to modify it. At the price- no complaints here! I have a pre-war 13.5cm F4 Sonnar in Contax mount and a J-11 that is very, very good- made for the military.

Oh and funny you mentioned a pre war 13.5cm Sonnar Brian! I've got one as well, unfortunately the focus is frozen. Black paint/ nickel covering heavy brass!!! I'll post pics of that here as well.

Frozen Focus" is it at infinity? I've seen lenses modified (usually by the military) to hold the focus at a certain position.

Otherwise: the old grease in them gets like glue. I've soaked a 5cm F1.5 Simlar in Alcohol for 5 days before the focus could be moved.

I'd like to see some pictures of it, most of my pre-war Zeiss lenses are chrome. I have a Tessar and 5cm F2 Sonnar in Black paint.

I can't hit WOW 10 times.

That lens is a either a Zeiss prototype or a custom conversion. Zeiss made a very limited run of Leica mount lenses, I've handled an early 5cm F1.5 of similar construction. I've also seen some custom converted lenses.

Hard to know why it is jammed- but I would get an estimate on the value of the lens.

Someday I need to get my computer manual for the IBM Mark I appraised. The Smithsonian has the computer, but not a manual for it. Mine is Autographed by Amazing Grace herself. She asked "Where the Hell did you get This"... It was library surplus, in 1980. I'm glad to have saved it from the bin.

Congratulations on a fantastic find!

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on this thread: we will be setting up a "Collector's Forum" here on Leicaplace.

I would like to see it as a forum where you post your collectibles, but also as a place where you can ask "What is this, how do I use it AND What is it Worth"

We have a number of forum members that know quite a bit about Leica and other rare and obscure photographic items.

And if they want to play "Stump Brian"- Do it With PHOTO's of the Item, and I will get immense joy out of seeing something new!

All this looking at 13.5cm F4 Sonnars in LEICA MOUNT, the J-11 lasted exactly 1 set of test shots before putting a 1937 CZJ 13.5cm F4 Sonnar module into it. Worked perfectly, the Aperture index even lined up to the same spot after getting the shim set correctly. Will post some shots this weekend.

The 13.5cm F4 Sonnar is a beautiful lens, and that black one: is STUNNING!

Back