Show "Water"

There's something about light on water, isn't there? Mayank, as you probably know I saw yours first on Flickr where I posted how much I liked it for the glinting diamond light, design elements and simplicity.

Mal, your two are beauties, showing the river in such different terms. Really nice!

Autumn on the River

Here's one. I don't think this is a "good" picture (worth hanging on the wall), but I really love it. The water that morning was almost like liquid metal, so smooth, and the reflections from the autumn trees on the water just before going over the dam was really wonderful.

This was shot with an EP1, with Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 stopped down (not sure how far -- maybe 4.0??)
20101017-EA170340.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In stark contrast to Peter's side of the world, it is definitely winter in the US although it doesn't arrive officially for a few more days (21st). It is off to an unusually cold and snowy start in various sections. It was cold and very windy today here in the Washington, DC area, but I stopped at my often photographed favorite National Park in my area. The Great Falls were flowing fast and furious but with the cold some of the water is freezing on the rock as it moves over them giving the appearance that they are covered with drizzled vanilla icing. One silver lining to the cold is that I had the normally more crowded park and overlook areas almost completely to myself.

GF1

John, that Great Falls area is so wild - and is clearly a real jewel in the parks system. I love seeing your pictures from there and to see them in the different seasons is a very cool study. Their frigid beauty really comes across in this strong winter light and the colors are gorgeous! I hope you're good at making "collections" and are keeping a good one on Great Falls.

JohnE, that millpond scene is eerie, if not actually a bit foreboding and frightening. It looks as though it would be a great setting for a gothic tale, or a good BBC mystery! You have such a good eye for separating out the extraneous, and capturing the essence of what you see. That's the way it feels to me, when I look at this image. This is a very strong, disturbing image.

It always reminds me of a great big cup of hot chocolate.

Now I'm chuckling at my own reaction...here I was imagining all sorts of skullduggery and you're thinking of hot chocolate! Truth be told, that hot chocolate thought did fleetingly hit my mind...but there just seems to be something sinister going on in there.... Must be my own inner thoughts.:eek:;)

Back