Water, Water, Everywhere!

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
As I mentioned in my "Blooms" thread, I took the rented X100S on a long hike though West Virginia's Holly River State Park. Consisting of over 8,000 acres of forested mountain paradise, Holly River SP has more water than any WV State Park I have visited. Numerous small streams cascade from its precipitous slopes, with several large streams coarsing through the center of the park, all streaming toward the Left Fork of the Holly River, flowing along the park's southern boundary. I'm a relative newcomer to hiking at the park due to its distance from my home, and I've hiked only a small portion of its 25+ miles of trails.

Big Run cascades into Laurel Fork near the entrance to the park. There were many water crossings on my trek up the mountain:
DSCF0050.jpg

DSCF0051.jpg

The trail up the mountain passes an ancient homestead site. The ruins of the old house are visible at the far end of the clearing. It would have been a difficult trek to get to this site with supplies:
DSCF0052.jpg

It is quite a climb to reach Tecumseh Falls. Not as spectacular as the park's larger waterfalls, Big Run still tumbles over 15 feet over a broad rock formation before continuing down the mountain. The trail goes under the waterfall:
DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

One of many small waterfalls in the park. This one had a drop of about 7 feet:
DSCF0076.jpg

Laurel Fork, a larger stream that runs through the center of the park. The streams in Holly River SP are teeming with trout, although they were rather hesitant to play on this day:
DSCF0079.jpg

A wide, very loud waterfall formation on Laurel Fork:
DSCF0086.jpg

Two big waterfalls in the park are on a large tributary called Fall Run. Upper Falls tumbles about 12 feet into the pool beneath. I stayed back from the waterfall, because one starts to get wet from the spray at about 50 feet:
DSCF0106.jpg

Fall Run is impressive. Here the water starts to really pick up force before entering a large rock formation:
DSCF0110.jpg

Shupe's Chute is a huge rock formation through which Fall Run is forced before blasting out into a large, turbulent pool below after a drop of 20 feet or so. The water hits the pool below with tremendous force. I wouldn't want to fall off of that rock:
DSCF0111.jpg

DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0112.jpg

Lower Falls is another large impressive waterfall father downstream on the Holly River that I missed on yesterday. The trail to it is more difficult, and after hiking almost 7 miles at that point, I didn't feel like adding another 2 miles to my hike. Next time.

TT

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebooting an old thread of mine. This morning I rode a bit over 13 miles on the Cranberry Tri-River Rail Trail, a bit over an hour south of the park in the posts above. Very remote and basically only accessible at the trailheads on each end, this is one of my favorite cycling venues. I rarely encounter other people on this trail.

Cherry River

P1000232A.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gauley River

P1000241A.JPG

Cranberry River

P1000244A.JPG

Another river bike ride in central West Virginia. The first and last pics were about 10 miles (16 km) and a bit over an hour apart. It took another hour to get back to my car, in absolutely stunning weather conditions.

P1000296A.JPG

P1000297A.JPG

P1000303A.JPG

P1000304A.JPG

Back