Protection Waterproof Cameras

I've been thinking along those lines as well. I'm keeping an eye out for clearance sales of the now "outdated" TX20, or a good price on the Olympus TG-630 (Olympus' mid level waterproof).

I'm also still waiting for someone to make the camera Eryx suggested though (waterproof camera with (for instance) RX100 sensor and prime lens), and I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat.

That's right, Bart. I'm looking at the Fuji X60 right now... but also the Oly TG-630 and possibly a leftover Oly TG-820 - all under $200 right now. The two Olys don't offer a 3:2 aspect ratio like the Fuji. But, other than that, they may be better cameras.

Hi Guys

I can recommend the Olympus TG320. I bought it in a sale last summer to use when out on my kayak. In good light I get good results for a cheap camera. So bearing this in mind the 620 & 820 should also give good results.
I have recently purchased an Ikelite UW housing for the 320. Having only used this twice for scuba diving, I'm still getting to grips with it, but results so far are encouraging.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Well, I thought about it for a number of days and just placed an order from B&H via Amin's link for an Olympus TG-820. $169 with free delivery. They only had red left. Amazon has some more colors but they cost more and are all from third-party sellers (but some are fulfilled by Amazon, which is good). I wish it had a 3:2 aspect ratio option but that's really the only thing I can find wrong with it. Reports about image quality indicate it's quite good for its class. Toughness is about equal to the best of the new cameras (even crush proof). And I like the the fact that the rear LCD has 1030k dots. For the money, it's fine and I won't feel too bad if it ever ends up leaking on me.

Nice bargain Biro for the TG820.
Just a couple of tips:-
1. The battery/card door has a slider to open/close, make sure the slider is set into the lock recess. I have forgotten to do this a couple of times! Lucky I didn't submerge it very deep.
2. Watch out for water droplets on the lense! I messed up a few shots by not wiping!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Not sure if you found what you were looking for in waterproof cameras but here is some more info on the Olympus TG-620 Tough iHS Waterproof Digital Camera, the Fujifilm FinePix XP200 16MP Waterproof Digital Camera as well as some others - check out this site for more info

Thanks, but I ordered a leftover Olympus TG-820 on closeout for $169 (see above). But this may be helpful to others. Thanks again.

I was just looking at the TG-820 as well and I could actually get it for a little bit lower than $169. I think I am gonna get it... gonna head to the beach in a week :)

Care to share your impression on the TG-820 Biro?

Well, I haven't taken it in the water yet. That may come this weekend or next. But the camera is well-built and the specs are great in terms of ruggedness - as good as the latest tough cameras. Response seems just fine and the rear LCD features very high resolution. I think photo quality is fine for its intended purpose - action snapshots taken outdoors. Pixel-peepers are advised not to apply. The only thing to keep in mind is that the lens is the older, slower, folded-optics design that Olympus had for all of its tough cameras before the TG-1 and TG-2. We're talking 28-140mm and f/3.9-5.9. Frankly, I don't think the TG-1 and TG-02 offer a better sensor or image processing. It's just that they offer f/2.0-4.9 (at 25-100mm) so one can keep the ISO settings lower.

But, as I said in earlier posts, one does hear occasionally about ruined cameras due to accidental leaks - whether caused by user error or camera defect. For that reason, I am unwilling to spend $300-$400 for a tough camera. The TG-820 will do just fine. Mind you - don't confuse the 12mp TG-820 with the 14mp TG-810. The 820's lower resolution and BSI sensor translate into better performance and less noise at higher ISOs. But I would still say the camera is fine up to ISO 800 with ISO 1600 to be used only in a pinch. Forget ISO 3200 and 6400 unless the alternative is not getting the shot at all. And remember: The TG-820 doesn't have GPS or mapping.

All in all, if you demand ultimate image quality in a tough camera, try the Olympus TG-1 or TG-2, and possibly Panasonic's TS5. If you really want a well-implemented GPS, mapping, etc, then the Nikon AW100 or AW110. But if you want to keep the cost down while retaining toughness with acceptable-to-good image quality, a leftover TG-820 can't be beat.

Well, I haven't taken it in the water yet. That may come this weekend or next. But the camera is well-built and the specs are great in terms of ruggedness - as good as the latest tough cameras. Response seems just fine and the rear LCD features very high resolution. I think photo quality is fine for its intended purpose - action snapshots taken outdoors. Pixel-peepers are advised not to apply. The only thing to keep in mind is that the lens is the older, slower, folded-optics design that Olympus had for all of its tough cameras before the TG-1 and TG-2. We're talking 28-140mm and f/3.9-5.9. Frankly, I don't think the TG-1 and TG-02 offer a better sensor or image processing. It's just that they offer f/2.0-4.9 (at 25-100mm) so one can keep the ISO settings lower.

But, as I said in earlier posts, one does hear occasionally about ruined cameras due to accidental leaks - whether caused by user error or camera defect. For that reason, I am unwilling to spend $300-$400 for a tough camera. The TG-820 will do just fine. Mind you - don't confuse the 12mp TG-820 with the 14mp TG-810. The 820's lower resolution and BSI sensor translate into better performance and less noise at higher ISOs. But I would still say the camera is fine up to ISO 800 with ISO 1600 to be used only in a pinch. Forget ISO 3200 and 6400 unless the alternative is not getting the shot at all. And remember: The TG-820 doesn't have GPS or mapping.

All in all, if you demand ultimate image quality in a tough camera, try the Olympus TG-1 or TG-2, and possibly Panasonic's TS5. If you really want a well-implemented GPS, mapping, etc, then the Nikon AW100 or AW110. But if you want to keep the cost down while retaining toughness with acceptable-to-good image quality, a leftover TG-820 can't be beat.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I am actually just looking for a fun camera to play around in the water, rain, snow etc. The TG-820 is actually the cheapest decent one I can find at the moment and reviews seems pretty good but it's better to hear it from somebody in the forum with no hype and all that :)

The TG-2 is currently over 2.5times the cost of the TG-820. Yes I am aware that it's a CMOS sensor now and if the image quality is similar to the TG-2, then I think the FF equivalent 28-140mm and f/3.9-5.9 lens should be fine. I am almost certain I will only use this camera near the water and maybe for the occasional Macro:)

Thanks

The TG-2 is currently over 2.5times the cost of the TG-820. Yes I am aware that it's a CMOS sensor now and if the image quality is similar to the TG-2, then I think the FF equivalent 28-140mm and f/3.9-5.9 lens should be fine. I am almost certain I will only use this camera near the water and maybe for the occasional Macro:)

Thanks

I would not worry too much about the lack of CMOS. I think Oly CCDs are brilliant, better than their CMOS... so you probably have an excellent camera :)

Back