Fuji WB shift to magenta - X-T2

Irene McC

Legend
Just how easy exactly is it to accidentally bump the white balance all the way to magenta in the middle of a shoot?
This is the second time it's happened in a relatively short while and I had to do a menu dive to find WB and to re-center it.

HOW? Why would this happen? How could I inadvertently have changed it?

I'm perplexed but more than that I'm annoyed. Yes, I can rectify it in RAW but it's not great.

Just how easy exactly is it to accidentally bump the white balance all the way to magenta in the middle of a shoot?
This is the second time it's happened in a relatively short while and I had to do a menu dive to find WB and to re-center it.

HOW? Why would this happen? How could I inadvertently have changed it?

I'm perplexed but more than that I'm annoyed. Yes, I can rectify it in RAW but it's not great.
By default, the right-hand four-way selector is programmed as a shortcut to access the white balance presets. Maybe you accidently touched this button?

As an aside, I found that if, say, I was snapping woodland greenery, the grey/ brown paths were coming out a tad magenta, with the WB on auto. After I understood this (!), I realised the WB was over compensating for the green overload. Big improvement after I set the WB to sunny, or cloudy, etc.
Aha, that makes good sense. Well worked out. I generally don't touch WB while shooting and adjust as necessary in post processing, but for those who shoot jpg only, it's very important to get it right in camera

By default, the right-hand four-way selector is programmed as a shortcut to access the white balance presets. Maybe you accidently touched this button?

One hundred percent correct @pdurand ! I had a look at the settings now and indeed, it was that 4-way rocker thing.
I must have tried to shift the focus point to the right but actually moved the WB to the extreme right giving me the magenta.
Thank you so much for pointing it out. I have made changes to the settings now

One hundred percent correct @pdurand ! I had a look at the settings now and indeed, it was that 4-way rocker thing.
I must have tried to shift the focus point to the right but actually moved the WB to the extreme right giving me the magenta.
Thank you so much for pointing it out. I have made changes to the settings now
Glad it helped you.

It's one of the advantages of modern cameras that you can customize almost every button to the way you like to work with yours.

As an aside, I found that if, say, I was snapping woodland greenery, the grey/ brown paths were coming out a tad magenta, with the WB on auto. After I understood this (!), I realised the WB was over compensating for the green overload. Big improvement after I set the WB to sunny, or cloudy, etc.
I agree with this approach. I often leave it on "cloudy" to slightly warm the look, but on the XT-5 there is the "Auto Ambience Priority", which I select if I want AWB as it gives warmer whites.

Back