WE HAVE A WINNER! The 26th Photographers' Lounge Salon Challenge: MOVING ON

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
Good evening all. It gives me great pleasure to curate this, the twenty-sixth Photographers' Lounge Salon Challenge. This time the theme is MOVING ON.
I would like to see a single image that "tells a story" on it's own. It should bring on a feeling of loss and regret - or hope and anticipation. Make me smile or bring me to tears. Show me a transition. The end of one thing and the start of another. Your interpretation may be literal or metaphorical but I would like you to stir a feeling as well as show me a technically competent image. Extra points for imagination and minus points for HDR!
The challenge starts today 21st May and runs for a snappy THREE weeks, to the 11th of June. Photographers, start your cameras...!

The fine print:

1. Either take pictures that match the nominated theme or select some from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the images in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement pictures that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photochallenge, after all!

4. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the PL Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

5. The curator cannot enter his or her own salon.

Fortunately I have both the camera and the reflexes to capture this one:

OMD Oakwood Turtles (21).JPG

"El viejo moves on."

Cheers, Jock

My contribution is a photograph of a moment at the wedding of a close friend. The groom was from Oregon, the bride from Japan - and her immediate family traveled across the Pacific ocean to participate. The bride's Japanese father didn't speak a word of English, and the groom's father spoke no Japanese. There was a moment during the ritual when the two fathers hugged - sort of an embodiment of some of the old clichés - "you're losing a daughter but gaining a son" - "you're losing your son but getting a new daughter" - but somehow the moment was a transcendental one. The end of something - the beginning of many new things.

38274596.f0eb87db.1024.jpg

The Hug
by MiguelATF, on ipernity

My niece graduation from medical school...long dark hair in middle, first row.
She is headed off now for a Rheumotology fellowship.
View attachment 27585
Edit Post by donlaw
Great to see Don. I'll have a photo like that this Friday - my daughter's graduating med school then. We're flying out to Oregon for the ceremony and then right back after a short couple of days. She's doing her residency in Maine in Family Practice. She's wanted to be a doc since she was about 5 years old and now she is one. Pretty wonderful stuff!

-Ray

Great to see Don. I'll have a photo like that this Friday - my daughter's graduating med school then. We're flying out to Oregon for the ceremony and then right back after a short couple of days. She's doing her residency in Maine in Family Practice. She's wanted to be a doc since she was about 5 years old and now she is one. Pretty wonderful stuff!

-Ray
My niece graduation from medical school...long dark hair in middle, first row.
She is headed off now for a Rheumotology fellowship.
View attachment 27585
Edit Post by donlaw

We are all living longer. More Doctors needed. Great news, congrats to you both. You must be very proud. The ever fragrant Mrs T's son is a doctor. I know how hard the course is to become one.

Lovely entries so far, keep em coming!

I thought about entering with the image I posted in this thread
Show Life's Moments
but I decided against it because it would feel wrong to me so I won't be participating this time. Still, I'm enjoying the images here, in all their varied interpretations of the theme.

Not much of a photo - a pretty heavily cropped iPhone shot, but in keeping with the med-school graduation theme. My daughter is the first shown in this line of recently anointed doctors as they walk out into the world to do good deeds. Seeing how insanely hard she had to work to get here (far harder than I EVER had to work, and I was pretty industrious during my career), this really felt like a major passage/transition to me. She's been effectively practicing medicine for two years already in various rotations, but the next step is pretty much the real deal - still need some level of supervision for the next few years of residency, but she'll be doing it all herself and she has a medical license now. So 'moving on' for damn sure!

27487077951_020e42cfc7_b.jpg
untitled-41-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Back