We Need a Work Space Thread

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
We all have work spaces, at work, home offices, garages, basements, etc. I personally find work spaces fascinating. Given the current situations, our work spaces may be more important than ever. Post a picture here. I'm hoping to see innovative things I could copy. Here's my office at W&L.
offcie 1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
office 2.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, look ye well upon this... I had my office purpose built for me on the back of my house about fifteen years ago. It has not been so tidy and well laid out before or since.

I took the opportunity of the Covid disruption to redecorate and re-equip. It makes a huge difference, I must say. I am just waiting for the finishing touches - a couple of pre-cut kitchen worktops that will sit on top of the filing cabinets to give a more unified look.
DSC_0605.JPG

My workspace is just a corner in our living room. We downsized heavily our living space when we bought and renovated old wooden villa in the garden district. Renovation took all our savings and a bit more from bank. And now the garden needs care-taking and brush-up. Luckily we have time, now :)
I have a plan to put together some before-after pictures, but so far my guts doesn't allow browsing through the renovation pictures, too painful, still... And there's some painting work to be done next summer.
Sorry about the dust on top of the table and side-project: dead lamp needing new electricity

at home 1867 NIKON Df 58.0 mm f-1.4.jpg

My "workspace". I share the dining room with the dog bed. Since we never dine in here, preferring the kitchen, we have removed the dining table. We have a plan to get a small loafing chair/sofa when the sales come so that people can sit here (and have their photos taken!). This is the best room light wise ;)
DSC07759-Edit.jpg

I lack storage but the bag to the right contains more lenses, adapters, chargers etc. The rest is upstairs in a cupboard.

My "workspace". I share the dining room with the dog bed. Since we never dine in here, preferring the kitchen, we have removed the dining table. We have a plan to get a small loafing chair/sofa when the sales come so that people can sit here (and have their photos taken!). This is the best room light wise ;)
View attachment 218944

I lack storage but the bag to the right contains more lenses, adapters, chargers etc. The rest is upstairs in a cupboard.
The wine glass is a nice touch.

My workspace. I really should have gotten a decent office chair - I just have a directors garden-chair - it was fine for casual use in the study before but now its hard going for several hours a day. Still, the room does get a lot of light and being just a little bit uncomfortable helps me focus on work (I'm a big fan of having office air-con set to chill so as to avoid falling asleep in meetings but that might just be me).

FEAE02Pcx3KMooccx6bp2FjDoam0O4bBQO3O2uXCCf3yYCV6brYT2G6QmK2QwnmeGCL6VkFe6rdlmY1m0gn3jTAlhzS2Q77PY5TNkpbFcGV83utJTO2MzP6kUQqYpfY5XJ3LYHHFd7o5cdSwypUsuxFNywN4Xj2b3xV5X5SHlfrhI7jhIXLHDwHBcASxyfoyMt2mGRJ6N9PoQTYd0CczjWv8iQadk6-Rw7ApiY9x2Il6WCwipwrKgvAR0uflM-OhhmcskfuqAsE373tG8OZdcm_rD5aGADGSoHvlsqIwxS6GRQezbnQUdA-ogDgSZSo8ciDg-U3k_Es_wpvWoO831JCZdpZWnX1IQQOdPQVWuUjqFiRWTvNuNgWqtaK0x5YHVnPPdfLCW2STDYeegRuuf5NakB8vkGdOnhQCWGH_lzAhraGLJlL5XuWO7c92vaXHCHyC4BTeHyEx0pMcXcHRKsII2slQGjalS-plxdEMBif9kwI_HzsibTaHZ_yBfNi1mlvLvxnQ1VVxPgQAxJyc4VzicQ4t5C8vHbA77Ub5n1PV7PjqU8GUfz_y9VaWZC2QbjQ7WCWvptUza0RaWp_iPJ7ktPTkt67Wr24R6VV2BKNJ9mgDd4nkP17Dqv5yiNQuVrUqg_RUkHkHRBHt8u1vXt-5jR9esEMtTjrm1B3kPO19Bve_iabivRgDJPTdwg=w1412-h1059-no

We all have work spaces, at work, home offices, garages, basements, etc. I personally find work spaces fascinating. Given the current situations, our work spaces may be more important than ever. Post a picture here. I'm hoping to see innovative things I could copy. Here's my office at W&L.
View attachment 218457View attachment 218458

Excellent idea. It's probably the place where we spend most of our time (except for the bed).
And these workplaces reveal quite a lot, too. Showing in which way everyone of us tries to create the most supporting environment.
Some feel themselves comfortable in clearly arranged order, some feel at home in chaos. Common to us all: the need of some memorabilia of past happy moments.

Last edited:
Semi-off-topic: This is the place where I used to work most of the time for the last couple of years - the stone table in my living room.

GR000571.jpg

Note that the portable secondary monitor and the sound system are only there temporarily - the speakers (and subwoofer) don't fit into the new work space anymore, so I've set them up in the living room for now. At the moment, it's where most media consumption happens anyway ... that's why I moved the additional monitor here as well (it'll get moved back to the office once term continues).

Anyhow, this is where I continue to work until everything can be finalised in the office. The Acer Switch 5 is my only digitiser-enabled computer as of now (the graphics tablet in the office is still missing an appropriate adapter), so all of my current digital-only marking has to be done on this small - though pleasantly capable - machine. I'm quite glad that at least this'll change soon ...

M.

Y'know this thread fascinates me. It's definitely my favourite of all those running at the moment. There is enough material here for a book...

We are all voyeurs, in a sense (all the more here, since we are united by a love of photography - a visual medium) and it tweaks my sense of curiosity to have an insight into the working conditions of people I have rubbed along with for years. These images speak far more loudly than a selfie.

A few observations and queries, if I may...

1. Aren't wires a bugger?

2. Chairs are more important than desks. My own desk is about 100 years old and was originally designed as a teacher's desk. It is oak, and still has the brass inkwells in the upper right corner. I inherited it from my mum, who was a teacher. My chair, which looks very similar to Walter's, came from a local office supplies shop; it is state-of-the art, comfortable and essential. My old granddad used to say "spend your money on your shoes or your bed - if you aren't in one you are in the other." I'd add a corollary to that along the lines of "buy the best work chair you can afford - you will spend more time on that than on your sofa."

3. To those whose workspaces face a wall, bookshelf or the like, I have to ask - how do you cope with that? My desk looks out over my (scruffy) garden. I would go stir crazy if I couldn't rest my eyes every so often on something at a distance.

4. Ditto natural light... I actually have too much - my office has a conservatory roof, so by 3pm on a Summer afternoon it becomes uninhabitable - but I'm curious how you manage in artificial light - do you go for a wander on a regular basis?

I very much agree with you, Bill. We all - as photographers - are to a certain extent voyeurs.
That's why I was as "electrified" by this thread as you. And I hope for many more workplaces to come.
To your observations:
1. Of course wires are a bugger. That's why I have one workplace wired, the other one's wire-free (LED-lamp with accumulator in base).
2. As I can see from your chair, you chose the same option that was important for me, too: lordodis support included (yes, those discs).
More expensive, but you can sit in these for hours without any back pains. The nice blue swinger was chosen for the same reason.
3. and 4. Both my workplaces have the big window / door to the south balcony directly next to them. Artificial light only at nighttime.
When I could look out of the window directly I was too easily distracted (always something going on).
Yet when I look at your workplace I can't tell how much I envy you for the brightness and vista.

Back