Nature Weather's Awe and Beauty

Name
Matt
By request, I open a new thread for spectacular weather phenomena. We have plenty of "Cloud" themed threads, but so far, no more general landing point for worthwhile sights provided by the weather - like, e.g., rainbows. So, here you go.

I'll open this with an older shot of mine, but this is really only a starting point ...

26700893492_2eab80988b_h.jpg

(untitled) on Flickr

Fun fact: This was the desktop background for my work laptop for some time ...

M.

One big and one small rainbow!
DSCF2625-sharpen-sharpen.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF3574-Pano-2.jpg

John, could you please choose one of those for me to Feature? They're stunning (no pun intended whatsoever).

M.
Thank you, Matt. That's very kind of you.

I think that the first one is the best representation of the power and speed of these fronts moving up out of the Great Southern Ocean.

It's no wonder all the cray fishing boats have 2x 300 hp outboards on the back. They have about 20-30 minutes to get to safety when one of these comes through!

Thank you, Matt. That's very kind of you.

I think that the first one is the best representation of the power and speed of these fronts moving up out of the Great Southern Ocean.

It's no wonder all the cray fishing boats have 2x 300 hp outboards on the back. They have about 20-30 minutes to get to safety when one of these comes through!
That's the one I'd've chosen (I'm really happy I was able to wrap my head around this) - wonderful, and thanks for the insights. Featured.

M.

By request, I open a new thread for spectacular weather phenomena. We have plenty of "Cloud" themed threads, but so far, no more general landing point for worthwhile sights provided by the weather - like, e.g., rainbows. So, here you go.

I'll open this with an older shot of mine, but this is really only a starting point ...

View attachment 289754
(untitled) on Flickr

Fun fact: This was the desktop background for my work laptop for some time ...

M.
Good idea. I'm sure this will become an interesting thread with quite some variation as to motifs.

This was take on 9-29-14 in Zion National Park. These were some seriously ominous clouds passing over. A little later in the morning there was a torrential downpour. By then we were out of the park and watching a movie in St. George. But, there were a couple of hikers short on functioning neurons who hiked into the Narrows of Zion that morning against the advice of everyone they saw. One made it out while the other died in the flash flood.

P9270082-X3.jpg

Back