Weird Problem

Apollo T.

Top Veteran
Hi,
I’m having a weird problem. Part of it stems from my being a technotwit.
I set a micro-mini project for myself, so as to learn how to do this simple task. I want to make a few ecards- Valentines, birthdays etc- using some of my images. I chose a couple of items from a shoot in a pro orchid grower’s hothouse. I imported the files to Apple’s Photo app on my iPad, as usual. I use Snapseed for PP. when opened all these files are marked “read only”, any changes will be permanent. This doesn’t appear to have happened to any other day’s shooting.
Does anyone have a clue to reverseing this, so I can make additional changes ?
THANKS BIG TIME

My wife runs into this same type of problem when working on her quilt scrap book photos, albeit not with those apps. In most cases she just makes the changes needed/desired and saves the files under a new name and nothing happens to the originals. Can't say if this is what would happen with yours but worth trying on a file you don't care much about to see what happens.

I did try emailing to myself and working from that. Hit send, after changes. File disappeared as though it was going to wok. Neither the email nor ’new’ file have been seen again.

@AlwaysOnAuto
Actually I was going to try your suggestion. Instead looked around and found the email file which had ‘disappeared’. It hadn’t disappeared; it tucked itself in an unusual place within Snapseed. This file has the missing features of an original!…. Which the original saved file doesn’t have!!!
Thanks

A bit of additional FYI on this problem— it seems to be an Apple ‘problem’. ALL my photos have been converted to read only. There appears to a fix. I’ll follow-up.
My personal thought is that it’s from an OS update.

A bit of additional FYI on this problem— it seems to be an Apple ‘problem’. ALL my photos have been converted to read only. There appears to a fix. I’ll follow-up.
My personal thought is that it’s from an OS update.
I often export photos from Apple Photos to a temp folder. I then open the images with Preview and then save them in a different format (e.g., jpeg to png) and then print the pictures. Works all the time.

Sometimes, when I try to edit an image in Photos, I get a message that the original cannot be found. In this case I take a screen shot (Shift-Command-4) and then use that screen shot in png format or convert it to jpg.

@Les Klein et al,
I’m sorry. I’ve been remiss in following on this thread. Problem has been SOLVED. I was right in thinking the root cause was in updating the os. It seems that apple resets user preferences. It changed a setting called “Permission(s)” to a setting that thwarts all changes by anyone. Including me!
All that was needed was to reset this to allow changes to the file. “All that was needed…” easy for me to say. Though I do have to say that it went fairly quickly once someone had pointed me in the right direction.
Thanks everyone

Back