Fuji Well, I couldn't do it (X-E1)

jloden

All-Pro
Name
Jay
I have been hanging onto an X-E1 for a while, and made up my mind to sell it a week or two ago now that I'm shooting so much with the X100S instead. But... when it came time to list it, I just couldn't do it. Looks like I'll be selling some other stuff instead to make up for keeping it around at least a bit longer :p

I'm not sure exactly what the tipping point was, but I think it was the lenses that did it... mainly the 35mm f/1.4 and the 14mm f/2.8 specifically. To that end, the WCL-X100 I just picked up is going back, and I'm getting the 18mm for the X-E1 instead.

I have to admit I'm not 100% there yet with Fuji. I really feel the lack of that promised 23mm f/1.4, and the X-E1 has some annoying quirks/missing features like no minimum shutter speed setting and not allowing exposure comp + Auto-ISO in manual mode. I suspect what I really want is probably an X-Pro2 that combines the things I like on the X100S with the interchangeable lenses. But in the meantime, I'm going to run a few good primes on the X-E1, pick up the 23mm when it does finally become available, and keep on shooting (y)

The X100s feels miles ahead of the E.

I'm in your camp and am actually trying to flip mine.

Agreed. The X100S seems like a simple upgrade but the total of all the little changes is more than I realized until I was shooting them side by side.

It's funny... I got the X-E1 thinking it'd have what the original X100 was lacking for me, but it turns out the X100S has many of the missing elements I want from the X-E1 instead. Fuji is obviously evolving the X line rapidly and I think it'll get there for me eventually. That's actually a part of what decided me to hang onto my X-E1 kit a bit longer; I'm going to keep the lenses, and probably will flip the X-E1 when a future X body comes down the pipe. I have this feeling that if I sell off the whole kit, I'm just going to end up wanting back into Fuji again in another generation or two.

I am glad you stick to the X-E, Jay! I share your frustration with respect to the quirks. I was hoping that the recent firmware upgrade would solve some major ones (like switching the functions of the AF and macro button, minimum shutter speed setting, and exposure comp) but unfortunately it did not. I can only hope that it will happen before the new models will be launched. Perhaps then you will also enjoy the X-E1 before the X-Pro2 arrives! Frankly, I would really have to convince myself that it makes sense for Fuji to wait for the new model to solve these quirks because they can be solved by firmware upgrades instead of hardware changes (emotions, emotions, emotions).

BTW: I experienced the same thing with the x10 vs x20 as you did with the x100 vs x100s. A combination of little things that together makes it really look like a new generation.

Have fun with the X-s !

Peter

Yes, I must admit I'm disappointed in Fuji a little. With the X100 they listened to customer feedback and released firmware that addressed customer concerns like AF speed, but also added desirable features like focus point magnification, Fn button reassigning for the RAW button, corrected AF frame display, minimum shutter speed selection, and so on.

One of the reasons I had less hesitations buying Fuji again was that I expected them to continue that approach. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case with the X-E1 other than a few lens AF updates.

Yes, I must admit I'm disappointed in Fuji a little. With the X100 they listened to customer feedback and released firmware that addressed customer concerns like AF speed, but also added desirable features like focus point magnification, Fn button reassigning for the RAW button, corrected AF frame display, minimum shutter speed selection, and so on.

One of the reasons I had less hesitations buying Fuji again was that I expected them to continue that approach. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case with the X-E1 other than a few lens AF updates.

As much as I'd like to believe it isn't the case, the X100 and X-Pro 1 were brand new product lines and as the first products in those lines, either had more bugs to work out, or simply received more refinement from Fuji regarding feedback from users. Now that the X-Series is more established, I think Fuji is now well on their way into competing in the mirrorless market by continually bringing out new/replacement cameras. As such, it won't make much sense for them to improve upon the X-E1 via firmware updates when those can be put into an X-E2 to further differentiate and market it as an improvement over a prior model. Fuji will continue to provide updates to improve/enable performance with new lenses, but as far as new/refined features go, they'll just want us to pony up for the new model when its released.

While I don't expect radical feature changes (as this basically means rewriting the user manual), I am confident that we will see feature and performance updates for the X-Pro1, X-E1 and even the classic X100 in the near future. I think it's important and smart to make existing customers happy, not just potential future ones.

As much as I'd like to believe it isn't the case, the X100 and X-Pro 1 were brand new product lines and as the first products in those lines, either had more bugs to work out, or simply received more refinement from Fuji regarding feedback from users.

[...]

You and I are on exactly the same page Eric. I had hoped that the X100 indicated Fuji was different in that regard but with the X-E1 they seem to be following the same path as other manufacturers and saving the firmware changes for new body releases. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

Rico, I hope you're right that Fuji will continue to push feature updates via firmware changes. Unfortunately the actions (or lack thereof) so far on the X-E1 is not a good indicator so far. Something like a minimum shutter speed for Auto-ISO would make a lot of people really happy, and is such low-hanging fruit... I'm truly disappointed even a basic update like that hasn't been forthcoming.

Something like a minimum shutter speed for Auto-ISO would make a lot of people really happy, and is such low-hanging fruit... I'm truly disappointed even a basic update like that hasn't been forthcoming.

Yep, it's strange, it will be interesting to see whether the rumored entry-level cameras will sport a different Auto-ISO implementation. It wouldn't matter much, though, as those cameras would mainly be used with slower kit zooms. The current Auto-ISO is particularly problematic with fast lenses.

That said, Auto-ISO isn't everything, as I find myself using my cameras more and more often in either full manual or at least manual ISO mode. There's quite a long list of other improvements I'd like to see, but I am very confident that at least a few of my suggestions will quite soon materialize. Of course, offering a new camera is always a chance for more radical changes. With established models, there's also a risk that major UI changes and improvements may actually piss-off a number of users who were and are content with what they have.

Complaints are always issued by those who are unhappy, you rarely hear from those who like a feature as it is. As for Auto-ISO and a "Misomatic" in M mode, I have seen dozens of users posting that they don't see a problem at all, as they shoot differently. OTOH, Sony has it in their RX1, so I guess Fuji will put it in future cameras, as well.

Sounds like I shouldn't try an X100S. Not knowing what I'm missing, I'm pretty darn pleased with my X-E1 :).

Back