Fuji Went to a camera store with one purpose and then this happened...

The interesting bit above, for me, is that you've wound up prizing fast focus more than pixels. That's not good or bad, just interesting. Small sensors have an advantage there, and Olympus has done everything they can to maximize that advantage - from what I've always read, those cameras are about as fast as it gets, period. And to loop it back through Rayvonn's point... if AF speed is what's sometimes keeping you from getting a good image, then chasing AF speed above all else would make sense. If AF speed isn't actually stopping you, then ... you may not be done pondering this great question.

I've owned several MFT cameras, and got a lot of really nice images. The siren song of MFT still rears its head sometimes. What keeps me from going back is that none of the small, fast MFT primes are weather sealed . . . all of their fast weather sealed primes are f/1.2, huge, and very expensive. If the Olympus 12mm f2 or 17mm f1.8 were ever refreshed with weather sealing, it would be very, very tempting.

The interesting bit above, for me, is that you've wound up prizing fast focus more than pixels. That's not good or bad, just interesting. Small sensors have an advantage there, and Olympus has done everything they can to maximize that advantage - from what I've always read, those cameras are about as fast as it gets, period. And to loop it back through Rayvonn's point... if AF speed is what's sometimes keeping you from getting a good image, then chasing AF speed above all else would make sense. If AF speed isn't actually stopping you, then ... you may not be done pondering this great question.

That's a very good remark you are making there, KillRamsey. In all honesty, I hadn't been aware that AF played an important role to me. In fact, it was just in that store, when I was fiddling around with Fuji, that I realized it actually did. Not that it would stop me from taking a decent picture (Fuji isn't bad, and it was the old 35 1.4 that was horribly sluggish; the new primes were just fine) but I simply think that Olympus got me spoiled. I just hadn't been aware how fast E-Mmk2 was. Do I value it over a higher MP count? Having both would be lovely ;)

Back