Fuji Wet Fuji Lenses

Mike G

All-Pro
Name
Mike Gorman
Recently I sent for sale four Fujinon lenses to a reputable online dealer, a 16mm 1.4, 23mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2 and a 18-55mm. Today I was told by the dealer after inspection that the 16mm was OK and I was given an extra £20. However the 23mm and the 56mm apparently show moisture inside those lenses, to say I’m disappointed is obvious. Also the 18-55 has a marked front element. These lens repairs will be at my expense until they come back to the dealer I won’t see what I was offered! I saw no such damage upon dispatch.
Now I have to wait for two weeks to see what the bill will be! Unfortunately this means my divorce from Fuji ain’t over yet!
OK venting over till I get the bill.

This sounds a bit shady to me. They already didn’t pay you the full value of the gear you traded in. Are you sure these people are 100% trustworthy?

There are a few used camera dealers in the US that exaggerate flaws to reduce their offers. Adorama is one.
I've found MPB.com and BH to both be very honest.

Mike, is the dealer handling the repairs, or sending lenses back to you? Hopefully the latter, but not clear from your post.

No it was WEX a respected U.K. dealer, they will honour their quotes once the repairs are done, so I’m not of the opinion that I’m being cheated. And in fact they have upped their quotes for after repair, they will organise the repairs!
Richard never heard of “We-buy-any-lens.com”
I have dealt with WEX for many years and have always been treated well by them for at least 25 years, both as WEX and Warehouse Express. In fact WEX was voted equal second in a BBC poll of online shops for service and reliability.
Now I just want rid of the Fuji gear.

Mike. Don’t know about you but I notice every single flaw on the gear I own. If you were told of a mark on the front element of your 18-55, that you were not aware of ? I’d be demanding a photo of it , or better still, get the lens back.
As for moisture !
How when and where ? Any ideas ?
I’m afraid I would be a little suspicious if it was my gear.
I also think I’d like my gear back to get a second opinion.
I think I’d rather send it out to Fuji myself for any repairs needed.
How long did you own the lenses for Mike ?

Garry & Richard, I honestly don’t think I’m being scammed. The dealer gains nothing from reporting moisture in my lenses, indeed they have upped the offer after any repairs, I can’t see what WEX has to gain by their actions! They have detected moisture in some of the lenses but not all. The 18-55 has an opaque coat on the rear element and marks on the front element, I’m not argueing about that, I’ll wait and see what the report says and at the end of the day it is my decision.
If I want to sell these two lenses then they need to be repaired and that is my cost!

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I think I read something very similar on another forum and I think it was Wex in that instance as well. The speculation at that time was whether it might have been condensation.

I have used Wex to buy used and new kit and have always found them reputable - however, I have never tried selling to them.

I'll look forward to how this turns out. I can't believe that after they pay shipping in both directions to Fuji AND pay for the repairs that there is much money left to pay you for your lenses.

And of course there is no way to know if they were ever wet inside (or whether Fuji repaired them, or not).

I would have asked for them to be returned to me and sold them to a local shop in person.

But I hope they are being honest and forthright and hope the transaction has an amenable solution.

I'll look forward to how this turns out. I can't believe that after they pay shipping in both directions to Fuji AND pay for the repairs that there is much money left to pay you for your lenses.

And of course there is no way to know if they were ever wet inside (or whether Fuji repaired them, or not).

I would have asked for them to be returned to me and sold them to a local shop in person.

But I hope they are being honest and forthright and hope the transaction has an amenable solution.

Agree with all points. I don't see how you (the OP) can trust the people who "discovered" issues that you were unaware of to then manage the remediation of those issues. They may be credible, but you are asking to be scammed if you play those cards.

Back