Advice Wanted What 85?

I’ve decided I need an 85/1.X for a specific use. It won’t be something that gets used regularly, won’t be for portraits, etc. There are some fantastic 85s out there from low to high. Since it’s not going to be used in a regular basis, I don’t want to spend thousands.

I’ve watched some reviews and looked at samples. I’m a Samyang fan, but I saw one review that said focus missed. Oddly enough the Tokina rated pretty high, even among the more expensive offerings.

Any suggestions? Used is fine, and I’d consider a good A-mount as well.

Here's a great breakdown By Dustin Abbott.

I was lucky enough to try all the lenses except the Viltrox and if I was going to do it again, I'd get the Samyang. It has near top tier performance with lower tier pricing.

Slower doesn't work. This is for nightime at the track. I shot last year with 2.8 at around ISO 8000. They came out well but any movement at all was a problem. I think I can get up to ISO 12500 pretty easily, and am hoping that between that and gaining 1 to 1-1/2 stops on a lens I can speed up the shutter.
Here's a great breakdown By Dustin Abbott.

I was lucky enough to try all the lenses except the Viltrox and if I was going to do it again, I'd get the Samyang. It has near top tier performance with lower tier pricing.
Thanks, I'll check it out. I watched this one last night. He found some problems with the Samyang that make me wary.

Caution, NSFW, some of his shots are a bit racy. No nudity, just...well...:dance2:

Hmmm...
Found a good used Samyang 1.4 for $389, and a Sony 1.8 for $450. Both in VG-EC condition. I like the idea of a 1.4 to gain 2 full stops, but the Sony is a bit more size friendly. :unsure:

If quick focusing is a priority then the bog-standard Sony FE 85/1.8 isn't a bad lens. Rendering-wise the Samyang does have a little more "magic", but the difference isn't that big. I had the first iteration of the Sammy 85/1.4 for Canon RF before I switched to Sony, and I did love that lens. The Sony lens is noticeably smaller and lighter, though, and reputedly much quicker to focus. I can't compare, since I've had the two on completely different systems, but the Sony lens on a Sony body does give me a significantly higher keeper rate than what I had with the Sammy on an EOS R. What a surprise...

Back