Fuji What about the XT-10?

I also prefer the T10, so you definitely have my blessing. Only things you lose are weather sealing, UHS-2 and the optional battery grip. In all other aspects, I prefer the X-T10.

I have the X-T10 and I agree with Rico. Dave, do you have any Fuji gear already? Specifically lenses? Because if you don't have - or don't plan to buy - lenses with weather resistance, then even that feature of the X-T10 won't really matter.

The X-T10 is an amazing camera. If you do not need the bigger viewfinder, weather sealing, speed, size, or battery grip of the T1. Then the T10 is the smart buy.

Nobody misses the ISO dial? (I just find that interesting)

With at least six programmable buttons, I don't miss it at all. I like the fact that I can carry over the memory muscle from my XE-1 days - on both types, the lower directional arrow button activates the ISO ticker. It was very easy to transition and I really love the Mechanical + Electronic shutter, which lets me shoot my 56/1.2 during high noon. :)

That's a good idea! I'd just have to turn on the shutter sound (is that even an option with ES?) - because it's unnerving to me that I close the shutter and I don't have audio feedback. :)

I can see the instant little *blink* when the EVF goes black, which is all I get. And I wish, ultimately, that there WAS no little hiccup or lag in the EVF, but I guess it does have that one use. I know what you mean, though. Barely a clicking sensation on the shutter button.

I do the same thing.

That's not very smart, though.

Losing DR, IQ, ISO range and SS range isn't favorable. Images will also suffer in all situations with pulsed artificial light. We already mentioned loss of AF-C burst tracking.

There's nothing to gain, because the shutter will be the last part to break, so trying to "save" it makes no practical sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting debate.

I never use ES. It's a purely personal thing because I know I would forget to disable it in conditions when it is not useful or advisable. My first experience with ES - at Le Mans with my X-T1 - was not encouraging and I really haven't bothered with it since...

Rolling Shutter effect 1.jpg

ES has its uses, but they are very limited. Basically, it's still shots (no action, bright daylight) that require very fast shutter speeds (and where we don't want to use an ND filter), and situations where the shot can only be taken silently or not at all. I such cases, a compromised shot is better than no shot at all.

For everything else, better use the MS.

That's not very smart, though.

Losing DR, IQ, ISO range and SS range isn't favorable. Images will also suffer in all situations with pulsed artificial light. We already mentioned loss of AF-C burst tracking.

About this: I'm usually shooting in all-manual, so the range of ISO and Shutter Speed doesn't matter to me... I'm not going to be "surprised" by suddenly hitting a limitation, if I'm setting everything manually. If I needed 1/4 or longer, I wouldn't have set up to use ES in the first place. ES works just fine in the normal range of SS and ISO.

I'd like to hear more about the pulsed artificial light -- I assume you mean flourescent and/or LED? Again, if so it's not an issue for me, as I know about those things and don't set up ES when that's my light source. Well, it's not a surprise to me, anyway. It doesn't ruin shots, because I don't get it wrong to begin with.

I don't think I ever use AF-C, much less burst tracking. So in my case, again, not something I ever butt heads with. And, think about it... AF-C and especially burst tracking is only needed for a fast-moving subject... why would you ever intentionally use ES for that, once you know about rolling shutter?

There's nothing to gain, because the shutter will be the last part to break, so trying to "save" it makes no practical sense.

My shutter was, quite literally, the first thing that broke. It froze at around 40,000 jpgs, causing me to send it in for an overhaul. Perhaps that might make it more understandable why I sometimes opt for ES over MS...?

I was going to mention KR's shutter. And everything he mentioned is the same for me on the settings/shooting situations.

Rico is spot on about any form of pulsed light. It creates vertical lines in the shot. I have a couple of examples in my camera right now where I did it on purpose for some Acros shots for effect to see how it will look on the computer monitor.

Back