Leica What adapter to use for Nikkor-PC 10.5cm

VINCETAN

Top Veteran
Where can I get an adapter to use the Nikkor-PC 10.5CM on my M body? Is adapter the way to go or should the lens be modified?

Which version of the lens did you get? The Leica Thread Mount version uses the simple Thread Mount to M Mount adapter, I use a Voigtlander adapter- sold by cameraquest.com.

There are also versions for Nikon S-Mount, Contax Mount, and F-Mount. The adapters for these are expensive- ~$300.

The RF versions of the lens - front row. You want the Leica Thread Mount version on the Left.

Attachments

• nikkor_105_1.jpg
    nikkor_105_1.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 299
Which version of the lens did you get? The Leica Thread Mount version uses the simple Thread Mount to M Mount adapter, I use a Voigtlander adapter- sold by cameraquest.com.

There are also versions for Nikon S-Mount, Contax Mount, and F-Mount. The adapters for these are expensive- ~$300.

The RF versions of the lens - front row. You want the Leica Thread Mount version on the Left.

Brian, you got a nice set of 105 there. I am not sure if you have enough :)

Thanks for your reply. The one I got is the S mount version. Therefore the expensive adapters I guess. Is there one adapter better than the other? I found an Amadeo for around $280 which comes with 6 bit M mount. I think the Kipon is the other but is not an M mount, rather a screwmount but with screwmount to M adapters. That might actually be better because I can replace the screwmont to M adapter for the different focal length if I get say a 135 and 85?

Vince

Amedeo makes the best adapters. Contact him ahead of time, he can probably index it to bring up the 90mm framelines: which are perfect for the 105.

The screw-mount adapters: the problem is the threads are too thin because of the size of the helical.

I did not photograph all of my 105's...

Brian

I did not photograph all of my 105's...

Brian

Are they all Nikon? I am thinking of getting a 135 also that is why I was thinking of going with a screwmount just because the cost of the adapter is so expensive. I guess I will just try to look for a LTM mount instead.

What's your opinion of the Canon Serenar 100 f2.0?

Thanks Brian

Vince

The Nikon S-Mount and Contax mount lenses look the same from the back.

If you look at my lens front-row to the right, you will see the white 'C' on the side of the barrel. That designates the lens as a Contax mount. The Contax and Nikon use the same physical bayonet, but the calibration for the RF is different. Both cameras use the same pitch for the helical, the Contax turns 270 degrees and the Nikon turns 260degrees.

For the 135- go for the Leica Thread Mount Nikkor 13.5cm F3.5. They run under $100. Then you just need a simple LTM to Leica M-mount adapter.

I've never used the Canon 100/2: it's a good lens, not overpriced for the speed. I end up using my Nikkor lenses over the Canon lenses. The 8.5cm f2 Nikkor is much smaller than the Canon, and is available in Leica thread mount. Canon steered away from Sonnar formula lenses early on, Nikon stuck with it for their longer focal length lenses into the 1970s.

https://www.leicaplace.com/album.php?albumid=29

My gallery for the Nikkor 13.5cm F3.5, Leica mount, on the M9.

I think there are more people snatching up these old RF lenses. The price seems to be on the rise. I don't think it is easy to find the Nikkor 135 under $100 anymore. More like in the $200 range now a days. I do like the images you posted. Talk about retro images, I started playing with DXO film pack (free until end of this month FREE! Sony and DXO offering Film Pack 3 Essential for FREE! | Steve Huff Photo and is really enjoying the result. Together with the old lenses, I think it will be a lot of fun.

Brian

Finally spend the money on an Amadeo adpater for my Nikkor 10.5cm and 8.5cm lens. I guess they can use the same adapter but have sent the 8.5 to Youxin for CLA. When I try to mount the 10.5 to the Amadeo adapter, it seems to mount ok but I can not focus well. I will turn half way and then it gets really tight. Is there anything I am doing wrong? Any step I need to follow?

Thanks
Vince

Set both the lens and adapter to Infinity before mounting. Also, make sure the part shown is "springy", it needs to have some give to it. As you focus, the spring compresses and it might get tighter. A little lube would help.

Hi Brian

thanks for the info. That is what I thought so when I try that setting with my 10.5 cm, the lens will turn from infinity to 5 ft. It will not let me turn all the way to 4 ft. Also, when I dismount the lens, by turning back to infinity and dismounting, I noticed that the setting on the adapter is no longer at infinity but at 20. the only way I mount the lens and get the lens to focus from 4ft to infinity is to set the the adapter to 3ft, set the lens to somewhere between 4 and 5 ft, position the lens in, play with the focus a little until I feel it click then fully mount the lens. I also can't get the lens lock to work, seems like I need to shave off a little bit on the mount for the lock to work.

Any idea? I might be be conveying the info clearly. I will try to take pictures tomorrow to show better if you can't understand me.

Thanks Brian

Vince

When you mount the lens at "the improper setting", does it focus all the way to infinity?

It sounds like one of the prongs of the RF coupling of the lens is not sitting in correctly with the adapter, maybe is settling in at an angle. I've had to file Russian lenses for this issue.

I am wondering if the prong of the RF coupling of the lens is not oriented properly. So I checked this morning. When I set the lens at infinity and mount at infinity. When I mount the lens, the focus will go from 5ft to infinity. When the lens is dismounted, I noticed that the adapter will be at 10 ft (my mistake before stating that it is at 20 ft).

Now if I set the adapter at 3ft and lens at 4.5 ft then mount the lens, turning the focusing ring a little to seat the prong and lock the lens, I am able to turn the focus from 4ft to infinity (end to end) no issue. To dismount, I still have to set it at infinity, then dismount the lens. But again, the adapter will show that is is at 10 ft when the lens is removed.

The lens lock will also not lock down. I think I will need to file the adapter a little for the lock to go down.

Unfortunately, I can't even tell as I am without any RF camera right now :-(

Oh by the way, what kind of grease should I use on the adapter. It is smooth but somewhat stiff to focus. The lens is fine when not on the adapter.

I think you have some friction between the lens and adapter- is the adapter stiff without the lens?

I've used vacuum pump grease on some older/inexpensive (not Amedeo, made from a Kiev) adapters as the helical did not have the number of threads and has some slop to it.

I would contact Amedeo about this. He uses a CNC to make the helicals, and has replaced a couple for RFF members. Let him know the problems, the Rangefinder coupling is off and the focus is tight. It should be an easy action as the lens provides most of the dampening.

Back