What are you doing?

Trying to reschedule my flights to Boulder (CO) and Reno (NV) to see my family and grandkids...got stuck again at JFK with cancelled flights; this really sucks. I may do the AMTRAK route, but it is 2-1/2 days to travel from CT to NV, each way...:(. Things have to get better than this!

Scrolling through Cameraderie, spending more time than usual here. Perhaps I'm about to start taking pix again... but really... contemplating going for a shower and get ready to leave for breakfast with a friend at a cafe we haven't yet tried.
Take your camera along; I try to always have one on me every time I go out the door. I may or may not make an image but there's no chance without it :D

Have fun!

Take your camera along; I try to always have one on me every time I go out the door. I may or may not make an image but there's no chance without it :D

Have fun!
Thanks, @William Lewis, I might, but in recent months I only take my phone (now an iPhone11
Pro) and Apple Watch. Everything I need is in the phone, including, now, a decent camera :) I confess though, part of the getting ready process is also "which camera today?". And then I decide "none"

Literally making hay while the sun shines. Actually it's raining, so it's not so literal. But doing what I can while we have power.
Our country is experiencing a severe electricity crisis (oh, for over a decade already) and rotational blackouts are scheduled daily.
We need to check our area every morning to know when we will or won't have power. Currently the country is on Stage 6,
meaning out of a 24 hour period, there are 9.5 (nine and a half) hours without electricity per region

Eskom load shedding stage 6 28 June 2022.JPG

Literally making hay while the sun shines. Actually it's raining, so it's not so literal. But doing what I can while we have power.
Our country is experiencing a severe electricity crisis (oh, for over a decade already) and rotational blackouts are scheduled daily.
We need to check our area every morning to know when we will or won't have power. Currently the country is on Stage 6,
meaning out of a 24 hour period, there are 9.5 (nine and a half) hours without electricity per region

View attachment 320425
I've been familiar with that scenario in the same continent. Car batteries were your friend as I recall, I saw one somehow provide power to a small village.

@Irene McC I'm shocked by this, Irene!
For goodness sake, Cape Town is a major city in a first world country ...

Our solar plant is currently generating about 1 kW and we are drawing about 0.34 kW from the grid. We won't install a battery system until one is built that can be extinguished if it catches fire ...

Our solar panels have a maximum output of 8 kW, but it's morning here, and mid-winter (of course). Average total daily generation at this time of the year is around 9-12 kWH, a bit over half our total 24 hour usage.

Australia has the highest amount of rooftop solar panels in the world, increasing fourfold every year since 2016 - i.e. roughly a 4096 times increase in capacity since 2016 (4^6). One in four houses now have rooftop solar panels installed.

Making sure I’m up early at 5am to open all windows in the house and ensure as much cool air breeze gets in and out before the ensuing oven-like heatwave traps us all in the UK over the next 48 hours. What I’m not looking forward to in the early part of this week is the potentially sleep preventing 30 degree temperatures that will engulf us in the middle of the night. To all forum members in this part of the world - good luck!

Making sure I’m up early at 5am to open all windows in the house and ensure as much cool air breeze gets in and out before the ensuing oven-like heatwave traps us all in the UK over the next 48 hours. What I’m not looking forward to in the early part of this week is the potentially sleep preventing 30 degree temperatures that will engulf us in the middle of the night. To all forum members in this part of the world - good luck!
That's why we have big solar panels, big central heater, and 4x big reverse cycle airconditioners ...

This sort of weather variation is pretty normal in Melbourne; sometimes all in the same day ...

Back