What are your thoughts on Mastodon? 🐘🤔

Let's not forget that two of the most popular websites in the world (Wikipedia and Reddit) are still very much Web 1.0 and are supported by fairly unobtrusive ad/donation models.
Agree about Wikipedia, John.

Apart from my occasional monetary donations, I also make the very occasional substantive contribution as well.
Maybe we're taking a step back to a simpler, kinder, web.
Maybe ...
But more likely not the case, now that electric Jesus has bought twatter ... :(.

Well how odd. I mean, thanks @Kevin, I read your entire explanation (I had already gotten wind of M being a Twitter 'alternative') but what really got me is that I happened to photograph a graffiti yesterday afternoon that ties in unexpectedly

Let's say that there are two local instance users, John Doe and Jane Doe.

Irene_FUJY3826 Bo-Kaap & City street art.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I just discovered that there is also a distributed, open-source, photo sharing platform, a la Instagram

I'm on there too now.

Looks like a really interesting and strong platform.

Only why they had to copy Instacrap verbatim? What kind of a role model is that anyway?! 😅

I don't really use Twitter so I'm only mildly curious about Mastodon. I like its distributed, open-source model but that will probably limit it as well. If a significant number of my friends started using I'd also use it but I doubt they'll use it.

I just discovered that there is also a distributed, open-source, photo sharing platform, a la Instagram

I'm on there too now.

Follow me on Vero!

I like the aesthetic of Vero. Though who knows what new platform will be the next big thing. In the end, I will probably just end up not involved in any of them, leaving more time to be creative just for me (and you people here on Cameraderie.)

For what it is worth I am on the aus.social instance: @aushiker@aus.social.

Will check out Pixelfed. Thanks for the heads-up John.
If you see a recent follow request, I'm moving from mastodon.world to mastodon.social - same account name. Still not sure if I'm going to keep the toy test server up & running in the longterm so most likely mastodon.social will end up being my personal usage account.

Well, I'm giving Mastodon a try since Twitter is rapidly disintegrating.

If anyone is interested.
Ooooh, I just noticed that the forum software is setting Mastodon addresses as an email address. Added to my 'To Do' list to checkout.

Electric Jesus (Elon Musk) took over a totally useless, but apparently valuable site, and has immediately turned it into a totally useless, valueless site.

Well done, EJ!
The moniker "Space Karen" has been applied to him lately. 😆

How's Mastadon been going for you, Kevin?
Honestly, not really using it much. I was never a big Twitter or Facebook user before and then last year I more-or-less stopped visiting Twitter as often when Musk started letting all of the banned accounts back on. I've been playing around with Mastodon yet because if Twitter stays the course it's been on lately then I can't envision me visiting it very often if at all. If/when Twitter changes their API permissions and breaks our 'bot' that posts new threads then that might be the end of me visiting Twitter.

Mastodon I've been playing with more so from a tech/geek perspective than a user. It's been around awhile but now that it's starting to gain mainstream traction I've been looking into stuff like how to 'verify' a Cameraderie account and if we can create a bot to feed into it like we do Twitter.

Back