What books are you reading for pleasure these days?

Yes I am lolz

what if it was on a computer monitor? Worse?
😂

I am trying to get to grips with reading on screen, so far I have a retention of information problem, if reading long texts. That seems to be somewhat the name of the game, in regards to research findings on screen contra printed reading retention.

I do on the other hand, fancy trying a kindle for pleasure reading and travelling. It is not unheard for the little Mrs and me to be stuffing around 20 books in the suitcases for a fortnights vacation, with even more brought back home... :rofl:

That's totally cool. Reading "real" books is a declining pastime. Don't they ding you at the airport for weight infractions? lolz
They tried once, with our carry on luggage, but redistributing the overload haul into the Domke photo vest took care of that. The airport attendant was happy with that solution, dont ask me why, the weight was the same and a not so sneaky repacking to the carry on bags was done afterwards... :drinks::hiding:

It's a shame the act of reading a physical book is becoming a niche thing, an oddity. And those of us still buying and keeping hardcovers are a declining breed. I might be getting a Nookbook at some point. Next time I'm in Tucson I'm going to a store and see one, and talk to their Nook person before making a decision. There are times (travel) an e-reader makes a lot of sense. Still prefer a printed book.

All of my book boxes finally made it out of storage and have been unpacked. Now I have piles of books I need to organize and get shelved.

In those boxes I found a book I had started reading back before I moved to Arizona 4.5 years ago. I have to start again since I don't remember what I read. So, currently re-starting Ian Toll's Six Frigates.

edit for extraneous word removal

Last edited:
Speaking of sleepy, I just picked up a copy of Kierkegaard this past weekend. It has "For Self Examination*" as well as a few other essays. Reading Kierkegaard is not for the faint-hearted, but if you can get through the complicated sentence structure and convoluted presentation, the ideas are very modern and eye-opening. Christian existentialism is definitely up my alley. Interesting to see one's own thoughts crop up. Reading... for pleasure? Still not sure.

Corrected from "Reflection" which has a less confrontational ring to it. Should have known Kierkegaard wouldn't go for non-confrontational.

Last edited:
I'm just a bear for punishment in my recent and current reading choices. My current fiction selection is The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, a science fiction time travel book. This serves as temporary relief from Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces by Radley Balko, a thoroughly researched history of the current U. S. policing environment.

You’re all too serious!! Give me some decent sci-fi, dystopian, anything but reality books and I am happy. Currently I am reading one I downloaded on spec from Amazon, called “Nemesis” by Bill Napier. It took a while for me to get where he was going with it but now I am loving it.

That said, my next effort will be:

ADED9CD5-F06D-420C-8C54-B16222EEF491.jpeg

Last edited:
For those of you interested in history, I can recommend "The Fishermen and the Dragon" by Kirk Wallace Johnson. This history of the turmoil around Vietnamese Fishermen arriving on the gulf coast of Texas is comprehensive and weaves in a lot of what was happening during this very turbulent period in the U.S.A.
Looks very interesting, Walter.

There are some aspects of American (USA) culture that are completely unbelievable to those of us who live in countries where the Rule of Law stands first and foremost. Rather than racial hatred, xenophobia and vigilantism.

How are you recovering from your bike accident injuries, mate?

Looks very interesting, Walter.

There are some aspects of American (USA) culture that are completely unbelievable to those of us who live in countries where the Rule of Law stands first and foremost. Rather than racial hatred, xenophobia and vigilantism.

How are you recovering from your bike accident injuries, mate?
John, I am back riding with only a couple of marks left. Not bad for such an accident at such an age (72) imho. Thanks for asking.

The weather is starting to turn colder, and nightfall is now early evening - 6pm - so thoughts and plans are being made for a southern migration again this year. Maybe a condo on the Sea of Cortez, north of Cabo? Maybe farther south in the U.S.A.?? Maybe South America? We'll see what develops. 😀

Last edited:
Back