What books are you reading for pleasure these days?

Bugleone, I've had a read at the Bewick book by Jenny Uglow, I actually stopped because I moved house - down to the next village along from Bewick! I went to his house, a really interesting day out as I really love all the paraphenalia - the tools and printing blocks and presses and all. And the woodcuts were astonishing. I forget that all the prints you see are 1:1 real actual life size! Incredible.

Hi Heather,........I would LOVE to go there as I have been a Bewick fan for about twenty years after being a wood engraver myself. I have planned three times to get there but it's 'gone wrong' each time. When I was in the Peak District three weeks ago I considered trying to get there but it was a very busy week as it was.........

..........One day!...difficult as I;m in the south!

Get yourself up there. I used to work in Prudhoe and covered a fair chunk of Northumberland - it was great. Afterwards go for dinner to the Feathers Inn The Feathers Inn - Home which serves locally sourced food, some of the best stuff I've ever eaten. And across the river in Ovingham is the White Swan - good honest pub food, good portions, good beer and lovely people.

Take a camera, Northumberland is beautiful.

I'm reading "Queen Bees and Wannabes" -- was kind of compelled to after reading Kij Johnson's excellent story Ponies. I'd been meaning to read up more on cliques and bullying.

I'm on to "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks. It's quite scary how much I am identifying with some of the case studies! I never thought I would enjoy a neurology book.

39830633363_30d4c1d29d_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Green nomads: Wild Places by Bob Brown and Paul Thomas by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Just received this book this week so now on my reading list. It is my understand that Bob Brown who shot the photos used in the book, used an Olympus OM-D camera. A good effort for a non-professional photographer and great reflection on travelling around Australia.

Have been reading the American classics for the first time. Steinbeck, Hemingway, Twain. Now I started Moby-Dick. Old language, can be tough for an ESL reader, especially when Kindle's dictionary doesn't know the words. Well it's a project.

Have been reading the American classics for the first time. Steinbeck, Hemingway, Twain. Now I started Moby-Dick. Old language, can be tough for an ESL reader, especially when Kindle's dictionary doesn't know the words. Well it's a project.
Moby Dick is a tough read but it is an amazing book. It’s a book that many of us have studied more than read. As much as I complained reading it in school, I remember more of it than many of the other books I read in English classes.

From Amins mu-43.com sister sites Tsundoku thread Show Tsundoku - Share your pile of unread books

I've finished a few and a couple aren't moving in my 'to read' stack. Just started Beevors book on 'Arnhem' (what a cluster!) and almost finished the Charlie Parker biography.

j0xl-uw4xhcsxfqrnmp1daeaxlgovcv1dbldl2jolexajguqy3rmlixabufj-c4wll1hdgpqsfwpvkqchjyq-w898-no-jpg.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I keep track of my books, both TBR and already read, on Goodreads. I'm currently on the last book of Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea series. Been meaning to read the series for decades. Next will be her Left hand of Darkness.
I read the first Earthsea book when I was a kid and have been meaning to read the others ever since. I actually bought a compendium volume of all the books recently so that’s on my list for the next few months.

I read mainly novels on my Kindle these days. I used to fly off to Spain for a few weeks at a time with a suitcase full of paperbacks and so the advent of the Kindle was a blessing. The only trouble is that I can never remember what I've read unless I go back to my Amazon "orders" account! I did read "A Little Life" last year, by Hanya Yangihara and it stayed with me for a long time after.

Back