Fuji What could be expected in a future firmware update to the X100S?

ean10775

All-Pro
Name
Eric
Seeing how Fujifilm seem to continually improve their cameras I'm wondering what would be possible/probable with regard to a firmware update to the X100S. (The reason I'm thinking about this is that I just ordered a black X100S, but found new black X100 cameras on eBay for what I would consider to be a reasonable price (about $450 less than the X100S)

Since the X100S has the phase detection sensor among other characteristics similar to the X-T1, I wonder could anyone see Fujifilm:

1. Adding the predictive focus of the X-T1 to the X100S, just at a lower FPS rate to match what the X100S is currently capable of?
2. Adding face detection?
3. Adding peaking in colors?

Admittedly 3. doesn't interest me nearly as much as 1. and 2 (even though it seems like that would be the most likely update). That said, I wondering whether I could live with an X100 with its latest firmware iteration over the X100S if none of these were brought to the X100S. I sold my first X100S for reasons including that the histogram and EVF exposure preview didn't work the way I wished they would have (both of which were corrected in a firmware update). In my opinion Fujifilm has treated its X100 owners extremely well over the years and I would hope they might do the same for X100S owners since the camera isn't in direct competition with their X-mount cameras.

What do you think? Will we ever see any of these firmware upgrades on the X100S? What about others?

I guess it would be possible. I don't know if it's planned, though. Might also be a hardware issue wrt buffering, cache, processor speed...

This makes me so sad. The X-T1 shoots relatively decent video when it's "tricked" into proper settings.

Agreed. I'm no programmer or tech wizard, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to just give users the ability to manually control aperture, shutter speed and ISO (My Olympus E-PL1 has this ability and it was considered an entry level camera). I know many people are big on framerate if they're really into video, but I'd just be happy with control over exposure parameters.

So now that there has been an update to the X-E2 adding face detection, colored peaking, etc, I'm hopeful that Fujifilm will provide some 'Kaizen' to those of us using the X100S by incorporating those two features in a firmware update. I'd also really love to be able to set a minimum shutter speed faster than 1/125sec in Auto ISO like with the X-mount cameras - and as previously mentioned, some sort of predictive focus would also be welcomed, along with manual control over exposure parameters when shooting video. Just some wishful thinking...

Back