Canon What do folks think about a Canon CSC?

If this lens is not a 35mm equivalent, what could it be? Possibly a fifty? Then the sensor would have a 2.27x crop factor?

Just speculating...

EDIT: Ah well, Nic beat me to it!

So, a G1X sensor then?

Sensorsizes.jpg

It makes sense that it might be the G1X sensor, but in the picture the sensor does look to be quite small compared to the mount. Of course we are talking millimetres of difference here from one sensor to another and the guesstimate of the camera dimensions might not be quite right.

I thought that it looked like a 3:2 aspect ratio sensor, but putting a tape measure against my monitor it does seem to be 4:3. It makes sense that it would be the G1X sensor, but the sensor does look to be quite small compared to the mount. Of course we are talking millimetres of difference here from one sensor to another and the guesstimate of the camera dimensions might not be quite right.

Or maybe the mount is made to accept both EF-M and EF-S (APS-C) lenses directly?

I would almost bet that it would be able to use EF-S lenses in some form, but not directly. The lens mount locator symbol for an EF-S lens is a white square located at approximately 1 O'clock as you look at the lens mount. An EF lens is a red circle at 12 O'clock. The EF-M shows a white circle at 11 O'clock.

LoL, just now from 43rumors.com:

"I had the chance to talk with some sources about the new Canon Mirrorless camera. With the launch of the Canon mirrorless we now have a full and final view of the mirrorless system. The sources once again confirmed that Canon has chosen an APS-C sized sensor. Canon didn’t want to give any kind of advantage to Sony. Apparently they fear Sony more than m43!

The sources also told us that the first camera feels a bit cheap in your hands. And according to them it’s not a m43 killer camera. Quite the opposite. The NEX cameras are still better in doing competition to m43 cameras. Overalla Nikon and Canon had a very cautious way of entering the mirrorless world. One more thing: A more advanced Canon (and Nikon) camera will arrive in a few months only."

LoL, just now from 43rumors.com:

"I had the chance to talk with some sources about the new Canon Mirrorless camera. With the launch of the Canon mirrorless we now have a full and final view of the mirrorless system. The sources once again confirmed that Canon has chosen an APS-C sized sensor. Canon didn’t want to give any kind of advantage to Sony. Apparently they fear Sony more than m43!

The sources also told us that the first camera feels a bit cheap in your hands. And according to them it’s not a m43 killer camera. Quite the opposite. The NEX cameras are still better in doing competition to m43 cameras. Overalla Nikon and Canon had a very cautious way of entering the mirrorless world. One more thing: A more advanced Canon (and Nikon) camera will arrive in a few months only."

Well, Canon and Nikon have a lot more to lose than Sony. It seems safe to assume that both make huge margins on low-end DSLRs, whereas Sony volume is much lower. They won't want to hurt that market unless they have a sure thing.

Regardless of what people like us (enthusiasts who spend time on photography forums) think, Canon has the brand and market presence to sell a heap of these things.

This body doesn't fill any needs/wants for me now, but I am interested in the system they build assuming: (1) rumors are correct that a higher end body is coming net, and, (2) they will have a hybrid PDAF AF system. I would also add IBIS to my wishlist, but assume that is unlikely (think they are using lens IS in compacts even)?

Regardless of what people like us (enthusiasts who spend time on photography forums) think, Canon has the brand and market presence to sell a heap of these things.

I think you are Luke are right... this thing could be borderline unusable (which I don't think is the case) and they will sell heaps.

I can understand why they consider Sony a bigger threat. Somewhat because of the sensors, I am sure, but also because they seem to be the biggest threat to the profitable DSLR line.

I saw that and thought "just what the world needs -- another 3.5 - 5.6 kit lens"

ah well. It has to be.

Of course, Canon can kick out lenses quickly. How soon before it has a bigger selection than the NEX system? I'm not a Canon fan, but if they want to they can play hardball with anyone.

More specs from Photorumors follow.

They are saying APS-C, but if the dimensions they have are right (looks like they have height and width swapped), it would be slightly smaller than the Panasonic GX1 (116.3 x 67.8 x 39.4 mm).

• APS-C CMOS sensor 18 million pixels
  • The image processing engine DIGIC5
  • Hybrid CMOS AF in combination with phase-contrast
  • Video Servo AF, Servo AF, AF touch
  • The range is equivalent ISO 25600 ISO100-12800, in the expansion
  • To 30 seconds shutter speed is 1/4000, bulb, flash sync is 1/200 sec
  • Second continuous shooting speed is 4.3 frames /
  • 1.04 million dot LCD monitor 3.0-type wide, touch panel
  • The media SD / SDHC / SDXC (corresponding UHS-I)
  • Video is 1920x1080 30p/25p/24p, 1280x720 60p/50p, 640x480 30p/25p
  • Method - video compression MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, audio Linear PCM, MOV format
  • Available in over 60 species of EF lens mount adapter EF-EOS M
  • Hand-held Twilight mode synthesized by the continuous shooting at a shutter speed four with less camera shake
  • HDR mode to synthesize three different exposure
  • Multi-shot noise reduction function to reduce the noise by combining the four images
  • Creative filters
  • The size is x 66.5mm (width) 108.6mm (height) x 32.3mm (depth)
  • The weight (body only) 262g, (including battery and memory card) 298g
  • Kit lens EF-M22mm F2 STM, EF-M18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
  • Comes with a mount adapter and EF-EOS M 90EX Speedlite kit of some

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: Photo Rumors

They are saying APS-C, but if the dimensions they have are right (looks like they have height and width swapped), it would be slightly smaller than the Panasonic GX1 (116.3 x 67.8 x 39.4 mm).

That would mean that the 22mm f2 is roughly the size of the Panasonic 20mm f1.7. If it's any good optically, this is bad news for m4/3 (long term).

That would mean that the 22mm f2 is roughly the size of the Panasonic 20mm f1.7. If it's any good optically, this is bad news for m4/3 (long term).

I agree it could be an issue if performance was similar optically, and they could do the same in other focal lengths.

I guess I would be surprised if Canon has come up with a secret sauce, though, to make lenses that much smaller.

I'd really not want either, but the question the poll left out:

'Would you buy this new Canon instead of the G1X?'

Sure . . . . . for my money, whatever the G1x had going for it has been blown into the weeds by the new Sony. How could Canon have let a camera out the back door that is so hopelessly clumsy it's a real chore to take a typical head and shoulders portrait?

I saw this Italian walk-through video of the camera on 1001noisycameras.com. You can see a bit of the interface and focus speed at 2:00. Probably even more interesting for our Italian speaking members. :D

[video=youtube;bPyhM2x9gT8]

Back