What do you actually do with the video capabilities of your camera?

I use it quite frequently with both cameras. There are two basic fields:
- Recording live music (my own gigs and open stage guests in the Folk Club I've been running for 30 years now).
- Family meetings (birthdays, marriages): afterwards I burn the photos and movies on a DVD.
This is very welcome as most shots and movies are made with cell phones in the typical portrait format.
When my brother watched the movie of a birthday festivity he said he hadn't known that he could dance so well.
(He had never seen himself dance as a spectator).

What still astonishes me with both the E-M5 and the LX 100.2 is the HD quality when you watch the movies on a big TV screen. And the quality of the sound this tiny microphone inside gives you (the musicians are always astonished) is another surprise.

I actually us it a lot. When I shoot with my meetup group I do background videos of the locations. I shoot about 400 videos a year. BUT I've done it professionally for commercials and industrial videos. I have and use: Divinci Resolve Pro version (with the speed editor), I use Samplitude suite as my DAW along with a Casio PX-5s stage piano and an Arturia mini keyboard (both for midi input), and create other elements in Photoshop and titles in Power Point (which can export 4K video now). I use 2 Panasonic G9 (I can hear the Gh6 calling me, a G9 would be my B roll) because I can shoot up to 10 miniutes of 6K (has to used a 5.5K for screen size) video or 4K 60 FPS for wildlife videos. A G9 is a great hybrid camera, I can handhold for video with the PL100-400 up to 250mm for consist wildlife videos. I have a 27" and a a50 4K HD TV for my monitors. I just joined here and hope to be posting some video links here soon. I knew when I retired I need to keep busy, so I do videography/photography through my microscopes, cameras, and telescopes - got to keep busy:). Actually my little home studio is on a par with equipment I rented for hundreds or thousands of dollars an hour. BTW you can spend a bit of money making a video and sound studio......

Interesting question. The responses tend to confirm my own perception that most of us here are first, foremost and almost exclusively still photographers. I shoot less videos now that our daughter is older and the odd holiday movie is taken on my always available iPhone.

Perversely, coming across this thread now has me wondering what my camera’s video capabilities are. Right, where’s the camera manual?

Along with the Today images that a few us here have been doing for 766 days, I also participate in a video a day project.
That is going into its third year. It is a very personal project that is shared only with in a small group.

I have used the Pen F and EP-5 for this project. But the vast majority are done with the iPhone.
I got the iPhone 13's ProMax this year and Cinematic video mode blows away anything the Pens can do.

Back