What do you do for a living? AKA, how do you finance your gear? :)

A few very greedy Bankers had a good try at destroying the western world, they were aided and abetted by our governments - they are still there taking as much as they did before - so beware if you have any investments or savings BUT maybe if I invest in Leica lenses they will increase in value and fund my life a few years down the line.

This is off topic, but....

[rant]
I've been working since I was 16, and I've held a job since then, part time in High school, part time/full time through college and for the last 6 years out of college working at a professional job. About a year after I started with my current company, which is small, some Accountants(no offense to you) and folks with money decided to take over the company. Because they had money, they thought they knew what was best for the company to make a profit and basically ran the company into the ground with little consequence from the share holders( we went public) or to the employees. Even after the CEO, President, and CFO were kicked off the board, they still were sitting pretty with huge buyouts and severence.

To the point: Too many people work hard to get very little and others who do very little or destroy a company still end up smelling like roses.

[/rant]

I am currently the Creative Director for a relief and development organization. After a few decades of commercial creative work it's a blessing to see my 'stuff' making a small contribution to transforming lives for people in dire circumstances. Our focus is children in developing countries. My own background is writing and photography.

I am privileged to lead a team of over 30 unbelievably talented and dedicated creatives covering everything from traditional print through television and online design. Their brilliance leaves me stunned every day. We also work with a stream of freelancers and some great agencies. The core of the work is to allow people in real need to tell their stories: in a world flush with information the poor often go unheard.

This has turned out to be a very interesting thread. Once again - thank you Herman!

I'm only sorry that I don't liver near Pealo because I'm sure I'd enjoy working with you and for your organization.

I also have to admit that I have think I'd like working with Andy, too - we could photograph the insides of cars, etc.;) It would give feed my penchant for mysteries. Oh and Armanius, I forgot to mention that I have worked as a paralegal in my past, too....:D

I am a freelance graphic designer based in North India (Jaipur and New Delhi). I sinned for the first 5 years of my career by working in a large advertising agency where I designed a whole lot of food packaging and promotions targeting kids. I have never been able to get over my guilt but for the past 10 years, have been designing for NGOs and developmental organisations and also I.T and education companies. Here is my work blog: Mayank Bhatnagar

I funded photography through my design income but do earn from it now and then, this earning keeps my hobby going. Ever since I overcame my gear acquisition syndrome, things have been better on the money front ;)

Thanks Mayank. We have all "sinned" and fallen short, I have no doubt. You've clearly made up for your past!

In addition, I'm very pleased that you were able to overcome your GAS* and am sure it is a battle that many of us have waged, or continue to from time to time.;)

*Gear Acquisition Syndrome
Treatment
GAS hasn't received any major medical attention. GAS is not a medical, but a psychological condition. However, numerous articles address GAS issue and try to propose methods to plan one's desires, incomes and expenses better. In addition, GAS can often be relieved with TUMS (Time to Unload My Stuff).

To this day, there has not been a cure for this GAS and it has made its reputation amongst these individual communities. There is one method to ease GAS, however it can cause inconvenience to the person who has acquired GAS as well as those around (such as families). This method is to dis-arm the person from his/her credit cards, wallet and anything valuable in case they are sold in a desperate attempt to earn money. It is not a safe method as some people have reportedly committed crimes such as robbery, assault, etc.

BBW, thanks for the insight on GAS. My solution to GAS has been far from ideal, I bought lots of photography equipment on loans and once the equipment got (a few months) old and the loans became a burden, I could not buy more equipment. This is a harsh treatment but it works, try it :dance3:

I am an agëd whizz-kid computer programmer from the heroic days of punched tape, air-conditioned rooms and gee-lookit-all-the-lights-and-switchy-things. I even had a hexadecimal abacus. Alas, the kid grows old, and the whizz turns to a low buzz in the cochlea that interferes most damnably with the concentration. I no longer leap houses at a single bound: rather, I go splat on the wall and slide down, then walk round the side spitting out teeth (still got some - nice long ones). My wife and I run a sort of a company selling bespoke web sites and scientific/medical translation: this appears to finance our heating, eating, health and hobbies adequately, not to mention the annual Christmas party at the local tax office. They don't invite us.

Back