Micro 4/3 What Do You Use MFT For?

As I tinker with different setups with my EM5.3, I figured I’d reach out for a quick sort of ShotKit type thread (not seeing one, please let me know if I’m missing it).

If you use MFT, what do you use it for? Is it your only system or do you couple it with other systems? What kit (bags, bodies, lenses, flashes, etc) do you use the most?

To answer my own question, I use MFT for travel, reportage, and closeup/macro. I currently shoot mostly with an EM5.3 and 12-45/4, though I also carry an 8-18/2.8-4 when needed and am acquiring some small primes to keep in my proverbial back pocket. It all goes into a moment Fanny sling, but im looking at a Wotancraft Pilot 7L for more long term stuff.

Looking forward to some replies/photos!

I have used many, many different camera systems over the years- all the way from a Minox to a Wista 8x10 field camera. As of this moment, I shoot only m4/3. I use the system for street and documentary photography. I shoot two Lumix GX-9 bodies and I use mostly prime lenses- 35mm 1.7, 25mm 1.4, 60mm 2.8, and a 75mm 1.8. I have a couple of zooms as well. However, it is extremely rare when I carry all this with me. If I am documenting an event, I will carry two bodies- I hate changing lenses. If I am just street shooting, I usually carry one body and a couple of primes. I have found that m4/3 is almost perfect for the type of stuff I shoot. There are a few issues I have with the system such as battery life and the viewfinder could be better, but overall, I am happy.

As for bags, I have a 30 year old Domke bag that holds everything and when I go light, I use a Lowepro Photorunner 100 which is small, slim, and very light.

I do hand held insect macro, stacked macro with microscope lenses, occasional landscape, occasional architecture, used to travel (hopefully will again), birds, planes, flowers, people and product.

MFT is the only system I have and probably the only one I need.

To put things into perspective, in my film days it was normal to run two or three systems. 6x6 for pro work, but no way would you contemplate taking it to the seaside. The quality of MFT far exceeds the output quality from my old Bronicas. Photography has evolved.

Over my longish life, I've used almost every format. Still own an original Minox, a number of original OM cameras and a Rolleiflex 2.8F.

These days I print up to A2 size on my Epson R3880, A3 on my Epson XP-970.

Even my 5 MPx E-1 from 2003 is good enough to make beautiful A2 prints.
I still have 20/5 vision (corrected, right eye).

On this basis, I reckon that my FTs and mFTs gear is 'good enough' for the very wide range of subjects and lighting conditions I photograph.

I could easily afford to pay cash for any other system, but see absolutely no need to.

YMMV.

If you use MFT, what do you use it for?
To take photographs ...
Is it your only system or do you couple it with other systems?
Currently yes, and for any foreseeable future.
Looking forward to some replies/photos!
Here's Orion, handheld, no support.

E-M1_MkII_JAK_2016-_C300207_Ew.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Basically an OoC JPEG.

To take photographs ...

Currently yes, and for any foreseeable future.

Here's Orion, handheld, no support.

View attachment 304484
Basically an OoC JPEG.
Nice! No need to be tense or anything about it, I was more asking for what people have responded with above… what genres of photos they enjoy taking, what gear they prefer for those genres, etc. There’s certainly a lot of truth to the idea of just getting out and shooting, but it’s also nice to see how other people approach the same types of shots.

Nice! No need to be tense or anything about it, I was more asking for what people have responded with above… what genres of photos they enjoy taking, what gear they prefer for those genres, etc. There’s certainly a lot of truth to the idea of just getting out and shooting, but it’s also nice to see how other people approach the same types of shots.
I spent far too much time being trolled on DPR, ~12 years, so yes, a bit touchy on this subject!

Unless the respondent is someone who enjoys owning a diverse range of gear (and there is nothing wrong with that - people have always got pleasure from collecting just for the sake of collecting), my guess is that 'taking pictures' might be the top answer from an MFT user.

Now, if you asked a professional landscape photographer what they used their MFT gear for, then the answer might be 'everything else other than that stuff for xy and z calendar company - I use the Fuji GFX 100s for that'.

My own conclusion is that at the moment, there isn't that much to choose between MFT, APS-C or FF in terms of capability (try saying that on DPR lol), however, owing to portability, someone whose primary system is based on a FF DSLR, is more likely to have an MFT camera as a 'portable kit', rather than a photographer whose main kit is MFT buying in to FF for special occasions.

Size matters. I'm loving my EM1X for birds and planes, but it's the EM1Mk2 every time for macro. It's easier to manipulate.

We have lots of folks on here now from the mu43 site, me included. Like @John King my answer would have to be taking pictures. I have been through a lot of photo gear in my life but for where I am now mu43 serves nicely as my only system. The selection of lenses is just incredible and it seems that there is always gear available in the used market to help defer the cost of my GAS.

I wanted m43 to be the next pro kit that I used. I tried several times to have it replace my Nikon kit for professional jobs, sports and events. It always fell a little short in a few areas like auto focus, low light/high ISO performance and shadow/highlight recovery.

I forgot about that dream and relegated the m43 stuff to a supplementary role with an EM1.2 and 12-100/4 as a one camera daytime street or hiking camera. I used to have a full compliment of prime m43 lenses...but now, just a P20/1.7 along with the aforementioned zoom.

Unless the respondent is someone who enjoys owning a diverse range of gear (and there is nothing wrong with that - people have always got pleasure from collecting just for the sake of collecting), my guess is that 'taking pictures' might be the top answer from an MFT user.

Now, if you asked a professional landscape photographer what they used their MFT gear for, then the answer might be 'everything else other than that stuff for xy and z calendar company - I use the Fuji GFX 100s for that'.

My own conclusion is that at the moment, there isn't that much to choose between MFT, APS-C or FF in terms of capability (try saying that on DPR lol), however, owing to portability, someone whose primary system is based on a FF DSLR, is more likely to have an MFT camera as a 'portable kit', rather than a photographer whose main kit is MFT buying in to FF for special occasions.

Size matters. I'm loving my EM1X for birds and planes, but it's the EM1Mk2 every time for macro. It's easier to manipulate.
That’s where I’m at… I haven’t tried the O-M1, but even my Sony A7iii from the better part of a half decade ago blows every MFT camera I’ve used out of the water for CAF tracking. So for critical shots in more “professional” shoots I use FF just for that AF tracking and totally grain free images.

Any other time, especially if the weather is going to be rough or If I need to go light, I’d so much rather use my EM5!

My short answer is I use Mu-43 for photography, my main system.
I mainly have Olympus gear and a little Panasonic. I like the size, weight and output.
What I can hand hold including using a monopod i doubt i could do with a bigger system.

I recently purchased a Fuji X-T4 & Tamron 18-300, so far I have not bonded with it at all.
After using Mu-43 with its image stabilization I find it hard to use a system with worse stabilization.
With the fuji I have to use far higher ISOs and SS. To get the same picture. I suppose a Fuji lens giving dual IS may be better but they do not make a good super zoom.

I was going to try macro/close up with the Fuji but the stabilization is not up to scratch for what i want for hand held shots

Last edited:
My short answer is I use Mu-43 for photography, my main system.
I mainly have Olympus gear and a little Panasonic. I like the size, weight and output.
What I can hand hold including using a monopod i doubt i could do with a bigger system.

I recently purchased a Fuji X-T4 & Tamron 18-300, so far I have not bonded with it at all.
After using Mu-43 with its image stabilization I find it hard to use a system with worse stabilization.
With the fuji I have to use far higher ISOs and SS. To get the same picture. I suppose a Fuji lens giving dual IS may be better but they do not make a good super zoom.

I was going to try macro/close up with the Fuji but the srabilization is not up to scratch for what i want for hand held shots
I spent a while with Fuji and while I enjoyed the system, it definitely wasn’t what I needed in terms of either macro or wildlife, neither fish nor fowl as it were. Still love my X100V, but that’s all that I’ve got left from them. I know a lot of people love them though, and that’s great! Best part about having a variety of platforms available.

I use m43 primarily for butterflies and the setup is an EM1.2 with the 300mm f4. The dual IS combined with the excellent close focusing distance of the 300mm makes for a combo that I can't replicate on any other system, yet. I have taken many landscape shots with Olympus in the past, but prefer larger sensors for more malleable raw files in processing. I have the 60mm macro and take it with me sometimes, but it is a pain to switch out my 300mm, so I don't use the macro very often.

I use m43 primarily for butterflies and the setup is an EM1.2 with the 300mm f4. The dual IS combined with the excellent close focusing distance of the 300mm makes for a combo that I can't replicate on any other system, yet. I have taken many landscape shots with Olympus in the past, but prefer larger sensors for more malleable raw files in processing. I have the 60mm macro and take it with me sometimes, but it is a pain to switch out my 300mm, so I don't use the macro very often.
I absolutely loved my Pentax 300/4 on my KP and K1, it had similar close focus capabilities and was one of my favorite combos for flowers and large insects. Just beautiful compression. I’d love to try the Olympus one at some point to see if I felt the same.

For general purpose photography, combined with a select few of older high-end P&S.

Am somewhat beating myself up over not daring to go M43 with the release of the GF1, but seeking safety in known factors and getting a Pentax K7 system instead, both released the same month in 2009, the Pentax being bought for its smallness but spent most of my time of ownership on a shelf at home due to size, and being substituted with a Ixus that I liked and a S95 that I didnt like when out and about.

I have over the last couple of years built up a "small" collection of older Lumix cameras, starting with the GF1, and a hoard of lenses and cant really say that I have any interests in other systems per see, even though there are a couple of old FF models that I am curious about (Nikon 700D and EOS5D MkII), and I have the same curiosity about the medium format Fuji's, but cant see that happening anytime soon, if at all.

Inside of the hoard, I can go from miniscule systems like the GM1 with the 14mm F:2.5 to the G9 with the PL50-200 and most of the stuff in-between. No interest in the GH6, but am intrigued by possible spill-over effect on a G10 and/or GX10.

With the inbound 14-140 f:3.5-5,6, there are nothing much left of interest in the lens line-up either. The PL 100-400 is there, if or when I go back to Africa, and there is the wide converter for the 14mm/14-42PZ. Possibly some upgrades to the weather proofed MkIIs, but that depends if I actually use the MkIs I already have. In the case of the PL25 I cant really see that happening, but if the 14-140 delivers to its expectations, I could have an interest in that one, but thats about it. o_O 😂

Right now M4/3 is my only digital system camera; besides that I have the Ricoh GR IIIx, and, otherwise, film. As a matter of fact, right now my Panasonic 12-32mm lens is the only lens I own in any system outside of a wideish-normal range (excepting only a K-mount telephoto zoom which I haven't really used). My other M4/3 kit includes the Panny 20/1.7 and the TTartisans 23mm f1.4, and, besides my 40mm-equiv GR, I have a couple of film compacts with 40mm lenses, a Voigtlander Bessa-T with a 35mm lens, and a Pentax K1000 with a 50mm lens. Can you sense a pattern? I do need to branch out with something wide angle for film, maybe a Voigtlander Snapshot Skopar 25mm down the road.

I'm using a 16mp M4/3 body, so the main limitation I see is dynamic range; it means shooting more carefully. But I tend to shoot it mostly when I want an EVF, the one on the EM5 mk II is still pretty good. I have my camera set up so that in manual mode, the two control dials change aperture and shutter speed on full steps instead of 1/3 steps, making it like a film camera in operation, and I also keep the LCD closed on itself to further reinforce that shooting style. It works well, the EVF gives me a good enough idea of exposure values to get good shots, for street, walkaround and whatever else. "General purpose" as Jens called it above.

Oh wow, that’s it? They are just rear lens caps for your lenses? That seems like an expensive way to go.

But in all seriousness, what do you shoot with them? Do you have any you particularly enjoy?
The system is small and lightweight and the bodies lend themselves to one-handed shooting, so it's a system for those strolls where I take it easier. Thanks to compactness, sometimes they also provide me a secondary "piece" to accompany my main weapon of choice.

The pictures are more than fine for my uses but the user experience falls behind DSLR and rangefinder cameras, that's why they are destined to be in secondary positions in my cabinet.

Back