Film What film do people have 'in progress' ?

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Unlike the reasonably instant gratification that comes from digital, film tends to take time to work its way through peoples cameras and often people will wait until they have enough rolls to process before developing them (ok, ok, polaroid & fuji instant film aside . . .)

I figured I'd start a thread to help people through the agonising waiting period between loading the film and getting back (or just developing) the negs, prints and/or files.

I have -

• Some Agfapan b&w apx 100 in my Bronica EC - unfortunately the camera had a weak battery so I lost a few frames to test shots and double-exposures. It'll be interesting to see how the others come out. Its definitely not a street shooter, theres a small delay between the tripping shutter and it firing. Not sure if this is a shutter timing issue or just the way these cameras are. Makes me think I should have held out for a fully mechanical S2. Roll is finished though - just need to unload it and stick it in the fridge ready to get developed.
  • My Olympus Mju II has 3-4 frames left of Kodak colour 400 - have been using this for casual 'happy snaps' so I'm interested to see what I've caught. Roll has been in the camera for several months now, keen to get it out and developed.
  • More Agfapan in my Rolleiflex TLR - just a frame or two left - using Sunny 16 and a Sekonic digital meter to see if my shots come out better than with the built-in selenium meter (pretty sure its been under-exposing since I got the camera).
I'm hoping to get all of these off to the developer in the next month.

Once I have the shots back, I'm keen to get some film into my OM-4Ti and Trip35. I may crack out the Fuji GW690 but its a bit of a beast to use on these darker autumn/winter days.

So, fellow shooters, what have you got on the go in your cameras ?

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment, I use roll after roll of 120 film, mostly Fujifilm Acros 100 (mainly with the Zeiss Ikon Nettars, both of which are quickly becoming favourites for the pure experience they offer; but I also do enjoy my other MF cameras - a lot!). At the moment, only the "cheaper" one of the two Nettars is loaded, but this time with Ilford Delta 400 - one image (6x9!) left. I'll go easy on those after that last roll simply because I have to have them developed to see what's really working and what isn't - I'm pretty confident everything's alright, but I think I'd better check ...

The other films are: for 120: Ilford Delta 100, Kodak Tmax 100 (but I prefer the Acros most of the time), Kodak Ektar 100 and Portra 160; for 135, I actually use pretty much the same film types. At the moment, the Ektar and the Delta 400 are the most used with the smaller cameras, but the Acros gets its share; I intend to finish two more rolls of Delta soonish, one in the Nikon FE, one in the Minolta Hi-Matic GF that I gave another chance to prove itself, but I think it'll be the last attempt ... I'm very keen on seeing the results from the Leica CL - they'll be in the next batch.

M.

Ilford Delta 3200 (135) - I've had this half roll for over a year and I'm hoping to finish it tonight along with a fresh roll of the same. I pull this to 1600 and use TMAX developer and prefer to have at least two rolls before I process the negatives myself. It's been so long since I started this roll, I can't remember what's on the front end of it. Delta 3200 is my least favorite film but the only high speed film that doesn't require C-41, so I can process it myself. The grain is ugly (IMO) and anything printed larger than 8x10 makes me cringe. This is why it takes me so long to finish a roll of this stuff, I'd rather shoot digital in low light than use 3200.

I generally don't leave this roll in the camera, just rewind it and use it when the mood seems right. Tri-X runs through my camera constantly, I just wish that it had a little more detail when pushing two stops.

Finally got my film back - I appear to have put Agfa APX in all of them !
* Bronica shots that came out OK look good, I can see how this might be a nice studio camera
* Rollei shots weren't bad - I need to get out more judging by the number of shots of my cat and garden
* Mju II - metering was all over the place; strangely, it gave the grittiest shots

Fujicolor 200 in a Konica T4. Just got back a roll I had run through my Mamiya 645 1000S. Bone headed move: I had loaded the camera with Ektar 100, but exposed it as if it was also 200. All but 2 frames came back underexposed. Don't know how I lucked out on those.

TT

I dropped off a couple of rolls of Arista 400 today - will get them back next week.
Ones from the second of my Olympus Trip 35's and the other is from an old Pentax Spotmatic.
First time shooting each of these cameras so lots of test shots. The Pentax is actually quite a nice shooter.

I've got about 60 sheets of 4x5 film sitting in the darkroom. Once winter sets in and spending time in the darkroom is warmer than lounging around outside, I'll start developing it as there's everything from N-2 to N+2 there.

I've got a roll of Ilford XP2 Super in my Leica M7. Some people seem a bit huffy towards XP2 Super as it's not a "traditional" black and white film. However, I've used loads of it and really like it. It also has the advantage of being able to be processed in C41 chemistry so, if I haven't got time to process myself (I seldom have time) I can get it sorted at Snappy Snaps.

I recently finished a roll of Foma Retropan 320 via my Voigtlander Vitomatic. I bought it at to try out from a stand at Photographica in London this year. Very odd film. HUGE grain, quite soft and a slightly infra-red "glow" look to it. Apparently, for best results, it should be processed using its bespoke developer but, if I'm honest, I can't be bothered with that. Some may like it but I'll be sticking to XP2, TMax, TriX, etc...

I've got a roll of Delta 100 loaded in a Hassy back and some Velvia 100f in another.

I've got about 60 sheets of 4x5 film sitting in the darkroom. Once winter sets in and spending time in the darkroom is warmer than lounging around outside, I'll start developing it as there's everything from N-2 to N+2 there.

Nice. What did you shoot them with ? Can't wait to see how they look. You're showing epic restraint in waiting for the weather to change before developing them.

I've got a roll of Ilford XP2 Super in my Leica M7. Some people seem a bit huffy towards XP2 Super as it's not a "traditional" black and white film. However, I've used loads of it and really like it. It also has the advantage of being able to be processed in C41 chemistry so, if I haven't got time to process myself (I seldom have time) I can get it sorted at Snappy Snaps.

I recently finished a roll of Foma Retropan 320 via my Voigtlander Vitomatic. I bought it at to try out from a stand at Photographica in London this year. Very odd film. HUGE grain, quite soft and a slightly infra-red "glow" look to it. Apparently, for best results, it should be processed using its bespoke developer but, if I'm honest, I can't be bothered with that. Some may like it but I'll be sticking to XP2, TMax, TriX, etc...

I've got a roll of Delta 100 loaded in a Hassy back and some Velvia 100f in another.

I'll have to give XP2 a go - I've tried a few of the other Ilford films and really enjoy the look. Don't forget to pop some scans on the forum :)

Nice. What did you shoot them with ? Can't wait to see how they look. You're showing epic restraint in waiting for the weather to change before developing them.

Mostly my Shen Hao. I've gathering them up because I have N-2, N-1, N-, N+1 and N+2. Not much fun going out with a field camera when it's 10°F out, so I spend the winter nights souping and printing. This way I don't have to worry about chemicals going bad.

I sent a roll of Portra 400 from the Rollei 35 to the lab last week, and followed that today with a roll of Ektar 100 from the Olympus 35RC. Turned around and loaded another roll of Ektar 100 in the Rollei. Will soon load the Fujica Super-6 again, perhaps with Ilford +400.

I sent a roll of Portra 400 from the Rollei 35 to the lab last week, and followed that today with a roll of Ektar 100 from the Olympus 35RC. Turned around and loaded another roll of Ektar 100 in the Rollei. Will soon load the Fujica Super-6 again, perhaps with Ilford +400.

Nice - the pictures you've put up from your previous run came out really well.

I've been in a photographic slump recently.

So far I have -
  • Trying another Agfa APX roll through the Bronica EC on the off-chance the shutter sorts itself out (it hasn't) - pondering putting it into bulb mode and using a manual timed release with it - a bit Heath-Robinson but it might make the setup usable
  • Got some Kodak 125 in my Bronica S, its all manual and nice to shoot - just need to get out with it some more and finish the roll
  • Some Fuji 400 Superia in the fridge that I ran though my Nikon 3HP, waiting to collect enough film to make a trip to the shop worthwhile
  • Something, I forgot what, in my Pen FV - will need to finish the roll to see what it was - suspect its some Arista 400

I have a roll of Agfa APX in the Minox 35EL, Lomography colour 400 in the Agfa Optima, and I can't remember what is in the Agat 18k :) After trying all these cameras I think I want a proper rangefinder - so when the rolls are finished at least some of them will be going on eBay.

Unlike the reasonably instant gratification that comes from digital, film tends to take time to work its way through peoples cameras and often people will wait until they have enough rolls to process before developing them (ok, ok, polaroid & fuji instant film aside . . .)

I figured I'd start a thread to help people through the agonising waiting period between loading the film and getting back (or just developing) the negs, prints and/or files.

I have -

• Some Agfapan b&w apx 100 in my Bronica EC - unfortunately the camera had a weak battery so I lost a few frames to test shots and double-exposures. It'll be interesting to see how the others come out. Its definitely not a street shooter, theres a small delay between the tripping shutter and it firing. Not sure if this is a shutter timing issue or just the way these cameras are. Makes me think I should have held out for a fully mechanical S2. Roll is finished though - just need to unload it and stick it in the fridge ready to get developed.
  • My Olympus Mju II has 3-4 frames left of Kodak colour 400 - have been using this for casual 'happy snaps' so I'm interested to see what I've caught. Roll has been in the camera for several months now, keen to get it out and developed.
  • More Agfapan in my Rolleiflex TLR - just a frame or two left - using Sunny 16 and a Sekonic digital meter to see if my shots come out better than with the built-in selenium meter (pretty sure its been under-exposing since I got the camera).
I'm hoping to get all of these off to the developer in the next month.

Once I have the shots back, I'm keen to get some film into my OM-4Ti and Trip35. I may crack out the Fuji GW690 but its a bit of a beast to use on these darker autumn/winter days.

So, fellow shooters, what have you got on the go in your cameras ?
FP4? I think, it's a while since I looked but you have reminded me that I ought?

Back