Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

There's definitely a rangefinder experience. It's real for me. I've had a M4-P, Zeiss Ikon ZM, Canon P, Yashica Electro GSN which I sold for various reasons. I still have a M3. I was trying to find a metered body to travel with. But that doesn't have to be a rangefinder.

I've looked at other R3A and R2A on eBay. Quite pricy compared to the auction I won. My camera hasn't been trackable since it left Sweden on Sep 29th. Perhaps it'll randomly show up at my door.
I certainly hope so. The M4-P and ZM are among my current favourites, and the CL is a wonderful street camera - all in all, the M system really meant a new, refreshing approach to photography for me. And a revelation: All the digital look-alikes are poor substitutes, even if they're fine cameras (like my GX80 - a very nice and well-rounded :mu43: camera, but ultimately, just another try at RF style with none of the real benefits). Simplicity, efficiency and immediacy - that's the core of the RF experience.

M.

Matt, you seem to have really in-depth knowledge about lens and shutter design. I've never taken the time to study camera lore closely - I know enough about exposure physics to be able to confidently operate a camera manually, and that's about it.

Matt, you seem to have really in-depth knowledge about lens and shutter design. I've never taken the time to study camera lore closely - I know enough about exposure physics to be able to confidently operate a camera manually, and that's about it.
It's all part of me living out my hobbies, really - when I was not only playing, but also collecting saxophones, I totally immersed myself into all kinds of - more or less useful - knowledge, and now it's the same with photography. I just like to understand what I'm doing on all levels - though it's often a question of sufficiency: If it's enough for me, I stop, even if considerable gaps in my knowledge are obvious. It can all be pretty obsessive or at least appear so, I'm the first to admit, but I find it worthwhile. With saxophones, I ended up with a score of quite nice horns that I actually play (a lot), and now it seems I'm pretty much there with camera acquistions (as far as film is concerned - it's a slightly different matter with digital, but at least I know precisely what I want, it's just a question of how to fill the need, but at least the options can now be counted on one hand ...).

I'll have to include scanning and posting images into my daily routine in order to get it all accessible and organised, though - a long way still to go. At the moment, the developed rolls are really piling up on me - so that's next in terms of getting to the bottom of, quite literally. I like shooting over viewing and viewing over post processing; least favourite is scanning - but that's where routine will definitely help.

It's not all roses, but it's lots of fun on the whole, so it's probably worth it :) btw. Teaching a portrait workshop this week - quite the opposite of simple film pleasures, rather a lot of gear and coaching involved ... but that's also part of the deal.

M.

The sax is a musical instrument I've always enjoyed, and admire those with the ability to play it. I've picked up a few guitars through the years, and play quite a bit, but I consider myself a competent but incomplete player. I never really had a methodical way of learning, but just played whatever fit my mood/interest at the time. I play regularly in church, but improvisation is beyond my skill set. I've known of other photographers who were also musicians. Must be something in our brains that connects the two.

Here is my last MF camera, I promise (she says) but seriously, I have every size of MF now so I think I it's enough :). The LCD on this one is a bit wonky choosing a different ISO is going to be an issue, but other than this, it's in perfect condition, so long as the correct ISO is read. I doubt the LCD can be fixed on this, can it? I placed it front of my other "obsession"; sewing! LOL!

View attachment 148589

Last edited by a moderator:
Rounding out my legacy Super Takumar collection. Will use it on an old Spotmatic but also pondering picking up an old K-7 for a bit more immediacy.

K7nYxEiKFx-21vt7oRzEU3-kpHmq4Ekzq2kRPOwwvAwimB7VNaG_gm4ijgKB63tDwUP7q7HZ92bwGBYBHSQ=w599-h400-no.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ok, I'm done for awhile. Found this pristine F100, with original box and paperwork. Flawless, mounted up a couple autofocus lens and it snapped them right into focus instantly. Adjusted the diopter and my old eyes were tearing up at how clear the viewfinder is. I mean this thing still has the warranty card. My Tamron 20-40, and 70-210 4-5.6 D focus very quick and are relatively light. I'll throw in 24 or 50 ais as I love shooting primes. Need to pick up a 85, 105 or 135 at some point. Right now I just want to shoot.
20171018_181830-XL.jpg

Olympus OM-4Ti arrived - seems like a fine tool. I'll have to get a split image focusing screen.

AND

It just so happens that the package the seller and I thought was lost in the mail arrived as well. Now I have two autoexposure bodies.
20171018_171308~01.jpg

Ok, I'm done for awhile. Found this pristine F100, with original box and paperwork. Flawless, mounted up a couple autofocus lens and it snapped them right into focus instantly. Adjusted the diopter and my old eyes were tearing up at how clear the viewfinder is. I mean this thing still has the warranty card. My Tamron 20-40, and 70-210 4-5.6 D focus very quick and are relatively light. I'll throw in 24 or 50 ais as I love shooting primes. Need to pick up a 85, 105 or 135 at some point. Right now I just want to shoot.View attachment 2220

Great catch - those bodies often show rubber rot, but this specimen seems fine. It's a great camera all around apart from the cosmetic stuff. Enjoy!

Olympus OM-4Ti arrived - seems like a fine tool. I'll have to get a split image focusing screen.

AND

It just so happens that the package the seller and I thought was lost in the mail arrived as well. Now I have two autoexposure bodies.View attachment 2221

Wow, what a catch! Great stuff ... Make sure to let as know (and/or show) how the 40mm Nokton performs - I've been on the verge of buying this lens more than once; at the moment, I enjoy the little Jupiter-8 on my CL, but the Voigtländer certainly looks interesting ...

M.

\Make sure to let as know (and/or show) how the 40mm Nokton performs - I've been on the verge of buying this lens more than once; at the moment, I enjoy the little Jupiter-8 on my CL, but the Voigtländer certainly looks interesting ...

Sure thing, I'll post some when I finish a roll. Optics aside, the compactness of the lens is both a pro and a con. Finding the focus ring isn't obvious by feel. My ZM 50mm has ribbed focus ring that's easy by feel. Voigtlander has a focus tab but I was it was mounted at a different place. When I use the tab, my grip on the camera/lens doesn't feel natural. R3A body feels great the hold so far. rubberized skin and slight grip feel much more secure in my hand than the M3.

I'm always amazed at how compact the OM bodies are - maybe its the perspective in the photo but the 4Ti looks a little narrower than the 3a and not much taller.

Yes! Definitely a compact body. Quite light compared to other SLR bodies I've owned.

Sure thing, I'll post some when I finish a roll. Optics aside, the compactness of the lens is both a pro and a con. Finding the focus ring isn't obvious by feel. My ZM 50mm has ribbed focus ring that's easy by feel. Voigtlander has a focus tab but I was it was mounted at a different place. When I use the tab, my grip on the camera/lens doesn't feel natural. R3A body feels great the hold so far. rubberized skin and slight grip feel much more secure in my hand than the M3.
Concerning the lens: I have its 35mm f/1.4 brother and know what you mean, even though I personally really like shooting and handling the lens, but I guess it's also a matter of habit; the 35mm is shorter, but a bit wider than the 40mm, btw. (I mean the lens body, not the focal length - that's a given). That said, handling isn't only a size thing. The Zeiss C Biogon 35mm f/2.8 is positively tiny, but it handles like a dream; it has a smaller tab than the Voigtländer, but its action is noticeably smoother than the already nice one of the Voigtländer. I think that Zeiss' quality control beats Cosina's by a small, yet decisive margin (even though Cosina actually produces many of the Zeiss lenses, the quality control unit still resides in Germany).

M.

Ok, I'm done for awhile. Found this pristine F100, with original box and paperwork. Flawless, mounted up a couple autofocus lens and it snapped them right into focus instantly. Adjusted the diopter and my old eyes were tearing up at how clear the viewfinder is. I mean this thing still has the warranty card. My Tamron 20-40, and 70-210 4-5.6 D focus very quick and are relatively light. I'll throw in 24 or 50 ais as I love shooting primes. Need to pick up a 85, 105 or 135 at some point. Right now I just want to shoot.View attachment 2220

Great purchase! Been looking from an F100 for a while for myself, but has proven to be a bit difficult.
One advice: be careful closing the film door, the lock breaks kind of easily (I've seen a few with that problem).

Great purchase! Been looking from an F100 for a while for myself, but has proven to be a bit difficult.
One advice: be careful closing the film door, the lock breaks kind of easily (I've seen a few with that problem).
I'll keep that in mind, didn't know of that problem. I love this camera, will have a roll out of it soon. Thanks.

Fuji GS645S Professional Wide 60. I've been looking at them for weeks, and I finally came across one in mint condition at a price I was willing to pay. Now just twiddling my fingers for the next 2 weeks as I wait for the post to arrive!

Near mint condition, and much smaller and lighter than my first 645 film camera. I'm hoping its lens is just as good as that of its older brethren, the Fujica 6 that I recently retired. The weather here today is marvelous, and I just happened to take the day off from work. :D

DSCF0361.JPG

Back