Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

So, remember my lovely XD11 and the Auto Winder that followed it home?

I have the theory it got slightly wet and spawned another one, but from the XD7 variety.

At least that is the story my wife is going to get.

Another option is that I got it for about 20 USD as a parts camera, that turned out to have a simple fix to turn it back to fully functional status.

DSC05154.JPG

I also got a griptac kit from CameraLeather.com Custom camera leather and leatherette to replace my XD11's leatherette, it was peeling off badly from the sides ( think 1 inch already flapping without adhesive)
2017-11-22_02-19-31.jpg

The feel is amazing, and the autowinder also got new skin to match.

At least that is the story my wife is going to get.

Another option is that I got it for about 20 USD as a parts camera, that turned out to have a simple fix to turn it back to fully functional status.

LOL, see I don't have to worry because I am the wife ha! ha! ha! I like your story though, as a wife, I would buy that LOL!

I have a lot of Nikon gear but not this lens. I've had it in the past and I consider it a must have for a cheap low light go to, it's that good, yet I don't have one. I have sinned.:doh:

I like it's small profile too, and that it has as aperture ring on it. I am looking forward to trying it out soon.

I have the optically identical predecessor - it's a nice lens, solid performer (i.e. great for the price!). I bought mine new in the late 80's :)

M.

Thanks Matt. For $165 Cdn. one can't go wrong with this lens. I am a 50mm fan, so it's perfect. I am actually thinking of getting a Nikon DF camera as I do shoot digital on occasion but really dislike menus! The DF reminds of the F3 from the pictures I have seen.

Thanks Matt. For $165 Cdn. one can't go wrong with this lens. I am a 50mm fan, so it's perfect. I am actually thinking of getting a Nikon DF camera as I do shoot digital on occasion but really dislike menus! The DF reminds of the F3 from the pictures I have seen.
I hear you - but make sure to handle the camera before buying! It's - unfortunately - more like a digital camera, actually a rather quirky D600 than an analog camera - for what it is, it's pretty darn expensive. The sensor's top notch, and the looks are nice, but if you want digital, I'd advise to get the real thing - you can get the D750 for less money, and that camera outperforms the Df in every way except pure looks; it's more comfortable to handle, faster, and the files are really enormously flexible. It's my go-to workhorse DSLR - and it's actually a very nice camera to shoot with as well, modern, but not complex once it's set up. The Df - is more looks than substance, in my opinion (except for the fantastic sensor - but then, the D750 has an equally nice one - a little(!) less solid in low light, but higher resolution and smoother files).

M.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you - but make sure to handle the camera before buying! It's - unfortunately - more like a digital camera, actually a rather quirky D600 than an analog camera - for what it is, it's pretty darn expensive. The sensor's top notch, and the looks are nice, but if you want digital, I'd advise to get the real thing - you can get the D750 for less money, and that camera outperforms the Df in every way except pure looks; it's more comfortable to handle, faster, and the files are really enormously flexible. It's my go-to workhorse DSLR - and it's actually a very nice camera to shoot with as well, modern, but not complex once it's set up. The Df - is more looks than substance, in my opinion (except for the fantastic sensor - but then, the D750 has an equally nice one - a little(!) less solid in low light, but higher resolution and smoother files).

JJl

Oh ok, thanks for the feedback on this. Yes, I looked at some prices today and was a bit taken aback, it's $3000+ here, so I won't be getting one soon. It will be awhile before I invest in a FF digital as I have to be sure. I am not really a fan of digital images. I know I am being a bit stubborn and ignorant here, but there are very few digital pictures that I have seen that even come close to something like Kodak portra 160 (which I love dearly), not without some serious post processing to get them to look close enough. Who knows maybe I haven't seen enough images to get past this stubbornness :).

I'll look into the D750 of which I have read great things.

I acquired a camera I had been thinking about for ages (literally - I remember I very nearly bought one about twenty-five years ago): the Fuji GS645S. My quest for affordable MF rangefinders is over.

Compared to the Mamiya 6, the GS645S is bare-bones and a bit flimsy (funnily enough, the most suspicious thing is the protective "cow bar" around the lens), but it's a solid shooter and handles well. The shutter release is a bit loud and unruly (the shutter is nice and quiet!), and the RF patch is small and dim, but otherwise, things are sufficiently solid and tidy, and the control layout, while taking a bit of getting used to, is fine. Now I have a serious, but sufficiently compact and light MF camera that really works as an EDC should I want it; while it's certainly no Leica and doesn't inspire the same level of confidence and pleasure in use as the Mamiya MF, it will be in my day bag quite frequently - which is a feat the Mamiya 6 doesn't manage. And compared to one of the more sophisticated RF cameras, it means a lot less to worry about!

M.

I'll look into the D750 of which I have read great things.
The D750 may very well be my next Digital camera, that or a used 800E. Would love to have a F6 but
The F100 is doing ok for film although there are focus issues, I can not justify the F6. The 750 is small, fast, shoots low light and handles every Nikon lens made from Biblical days forward. A 25 dollar conversion will convert a non AI lens. The Pentax platform is backward compatible also to a degree.

The D750 may very well be my next Digital camera, that or a used 800E. Would love to have a F6 but
The F100 is doing ok for film although there are focus issues, I can not justify the F6. The 750 is small, fast, shoots low light and handles every Nikon lens made from Biblical days forward. A 25 dollar conversion will convert a non AI lens. The Pentax platform is backward compatible also to a degree.
If you're considering the D800E, may I recommend looking into the D810 instead? It's what the D800 should have been in the first place, and it's improved in all respects, especially RAW file handling; around here, you can pick up a lightly used D810 for less than a new D750 now that the D850 has arrived.

This being said, I never clicked with hi-res sensors - it's so much more difficult to get technically good images (i.e. ones that really bring out the advantages of having so many pixels to play with). 24MP is just about right for me as an amateur who doesn't want to carry a tripod most of the time. The first hi-res camera I'm (sort of) lusting after is the Sony A7R III - because of its size, speed and I.B.I.S.; but frankly, I don't have the toolchain and computing power to handle those RAWs, so why bother? The D750 produces wonderful files that I still can't really get the most out of. If I buy a new body, it'll be one I can adapt my vintage glass to. Thus, it won't be a DSLR - but the Sony A7 II looks about right, and after its successor has been announced (which should be the case soon, according to rumors), prices will drop somewhat.

M.

I agree the 800-810 files are really too much for me. Even a 610 would be fine but I dont like the 39 point AF system. So that leaves the 750 at the moment. I have enough Fuji glass that the logical path is clear which is the XT2 or it's successor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was given a Maxxum 7000 in rough condition but will power on, and a Minolta 35-70 f4 macro. I know nothing about either of these. Going to clean up the camera the best I can, the lens is in pretty good condition. I know the 7000 was one of the first AF cameras. I had a 600si years ago which was a nice camera. If I shopped hard I could get a AF Minolta for cheap but just don't know if it's worth it. Would still love the 100 macro though so who knows.

Was given a Maxxum 7000 in rough condition but will power on, and a Minolta 35-70 f4 macro. I know nothing about either of these. Going to clean up the camera the best I can, the lens is in pretty good condition. I know the 7000 was one of the first AF cameras. I had a 600si years ago which was a nice camera. If I shopped hard I could get a AF Minolta for cheap but just don't know if it's worth it. Would still love the 100 macro though so who knows.
Minolta's name scheme is pretty confusing (like Nikon's became later as well); the Maxxum (or Dynax, in Europe) "7000 AF" would be the first real AF camera ever. If it works, it's certainly an interesting find.

If you want to dig into Minolta AF, I'd say the body to get would be one of the later pro bodies. I would go for one specific model: The "Dynax 9" ("Maxxum 9" in the States) - though it's usually not cheap, it's a pro body with all the bells and whistles, yet also pleasantly no-frills handling. There was a "9Ti" - made out of titanium and sporting more features. I also found the "9xi" which seems to be the last pro film body - but compared to the "9", it looks all shiny plastic and screens, knobs and dials. Probably a great AF performer, though ...

Worth knowing: There were adapters for lots of different SLR lenses, including those of other makers. Could be interesting - though having to adapt Minolta's own MF lenses feels sort of strange ... I'll stick with my SRT-101 and SRT-303b bodies - they're fun to shoot and built like tanks, and fully mechanical :)

M.

Well there seems to be a Maxxum 7 in the deal also, although I haven't seen it, and may not. I hear it's in good shape so it will probably go up for sale. The 7 seems to be a capable camera. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Well there seems to be a Maxxum 7 in the deal also, although I haven't seen it, and may not. I hear it's in good shape so it will probably go up for sale. The 7 seems to be a capable camera. Maybe I'll get lucky.

I have the Maxxum 5 which I have to say I do like a lot! For one thing, it's really compact and lightweight for a SLR, great for travel. I am planning on taking it with me to Mexico a few days. I have a 50/1.7 lens on it and this will be my first time shooting with it but since I have been to this part of Mexico many, many times, I won't be terribly disappointed if the pictures don't turn out :). Portra 160 will be going in this camera, not sure which one to take for BW film, maybe just my MjuII p&s.

Back