Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

First kickstarter I'd ever backed. Was beginning to have my doubts but the film finally showed up (4x 35mm & 2x 120). Now I just need to find the right circumstances to shoot it.

NQ63uAVLCJs9BJvgNZ1uEzB1Z3I0qY3mmPC5Ar--OI6-WNOACfomX6gYiXk_qpEPEqysgKrz9Ro2_-xwo=w1444-h1084-no.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ooh, I'm really looking forward to seeing what this film does! 800 tungsten could be very useful!

Ditto. I've only ever shot Ti once - some expired Kodak stuff. Turned out to be very very blue. Will try the first roll in my Hexar or F100 - just to get some solid modern metered shots out and eliminate the film factor.

Oh dear, I've just bought a cheap job lot of small cameras off eBay. A Minox 35EL, Agfa Optima Sensor, Agfa Agfamatic 4000 and an Agat 18k. Don't know if any of them are working but they all look fine in the photos so fingers crossed!! I will have to make some room for them... :whistle:

ooh I'm jealous, I'd love an XA at a reasonable price but eBay UK seems to have them listed at silly prices if at all.

Well, I did bought it from eBay UK but already sold it since I found that for me it was to small for an actual rangefinder and also needed a revision.
Payed about 65 GBP delivered, but the shutter button was very slow (apparently a common problem) and I had a hard time focusing on closer subjects, so rangefinder might not be well calibrated.

Well, GAS has struck again. I've been giving serious thought for a while to getting another medium format camera. I used to have a Mamiya m645 1000S with the 55mm and 150mm lenses. I even took them on some long hikes, and got many great images. Eventually, I tired of the bulk and weight, and sold the whole lot. However, every time I've come across one of my images from the 1000S, I've wondered if selling them was the right course of action.

I have spent days searching for the right combo. I was hoping to find a medium format camera with a 60mm-ish lens that was lighter but rugged. I don't think such a beast exists. There are many smaller, lighter m-f cameras, but I don't think rugged fits any of them. Although not so rugged, I found a Fuji GS645S for only $285 shipped. I waffled too long, and when I went back to the listing, it had been snatched by someone else. A beast like a Pentax 645, Pentacon 6, or Fuji GW690 was out of the question. What to do, what to do? Manual operation was a must.

I found a m645 1000S and 55mm f/2.8 in near mint condition at a very nice price. Although not as small, the combination really isn't so huge, probably comparable to a full size DSLR. I know it is quite rugged, because I once foolishly crossed a creek with my first 1000S slung across my body, and a slippery rock sent me and my gear flying before I knew what was happening. The 1000S spun around my neck and slammed into a rock with a sickening thud. My stomach folded, and expecting the worst, I pulled the camera from the shallow water. Not a scratch or dent to be seen, and not a drop of water got into the camera. Not a test I'd recommend to anyone else, but I was grateful for the outcome. It is a camera I know, and have a proven track record of obtaining high quality images with one. The combo is on its way to me. I probably won't be taking it on many long hikes, but my love for shooting waterfalls should provide me with some very nice images.

. . . . and I won't be crossing any creeks with the new one around my neck!!

Oh, well ... Found a nice deal on a Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2, went to check it out - and made the mistake to ask if they had a Leica 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit in. Unfortunately, they did. Not so unfortunately, it was the sought-after type IV, and the price was okay. So, I walked out with a 28mm, as intended. Just not the intended one :rolleyes: But I'm very happy indeed ...

elmarit.jpg

M.

Nice. I came very close to purchasing a Fujica 6, but reminded myself "I don't need it, this is how I ended up with a room full of camera gear last time". Browsing auction sites and gear forums is no good for helping keep GAS in check.

Actually, I'm pretty relieved that it was a *planned* purchase on the whole - the 28mm was something I had missed on some occasions previously, and now I have a really good solution - end of dithering. But I will admit that I'm still in the collecting phase - however, compared to the "hot" phase I was in, it's pretty modest (though not inexpensive). In the course of getting back into film, I had two revelations: 1. I *love* rangefinder photography, but I still like SLR shooting a lot - it's not mutually exclusive for me; I'm certainly no ideologist, more of an ecclectic (unfortunately ... because this makes for more diverse gear). 2. Medium format it's where it's at - at least for film; I enjoy shooting my M-mount gear (a lot), but the results from my MF cameras are much(!) more convincing.

Thirdly, shooting digital is so different that other rules apply, period. I think the rat race for the last bit of perceived quality is not for me - but versatility and potential surely are decisive aspects for me.

M.

My Polish cheapies have arrived. The Minox and Agfa look in need of a clean but for £30 all in it's not bad..there's also an Agfa 110 camera included, which looks a bit shot but I'll give it a go.
I'm intrigued by that Agat 18K - a Russian half-frame camera. It seems in excellent nick.

DSC00085.JPG
DSC00084.JPG
DSC00083.JPG

New fixer (old stuff was, well, old and had floaty bits in it... still worked though, barely), a Unicolor C-41 kit (first timer here) and miscellaneous containers.

BUT... I have been trolling ebay and goodwill lately so I expect to be posting here again soon

Oh, well ... Found a nice deal on a Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2, went to check it out - and made the mistake to ask if they had a Leica 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit in. Unfortunately, they did. Not so unfortunately, it was the sought-after type IV, and the price was okay. So, I walked out with a 28mm, as intended. Just not the intended one :rolleyes: But I'm very happy indeed ...

View attachment 1483

M.
That is one handsome looking device you have there, Matt!

My Polish cheapies have arrived. The Minox and Agfa look in need of a clean but for £30 all in it's not bad..there's also an Agfa 110 camera included, which looks a bit shot but I'll give it a go.
I'm intrigued by that Agat 18K - a Russian half-frame camera. It seems in excellent nick.

View attachment 1492 View attachment 1493 View attachment 1494
What a nice little catch - I hope the Minox is in decent working order. I still adore mine (even if the Voigtländer Vitessa has somewhat superceded it as an EDC 35mm camera ...). I hope the Agat works out because it's certainly an interesting little beast - even though I've so far been a bit underwhelmed with half-frame results (must be all this MF shooting ... :rolleyes:).

That is one handsome looking device you have there, Matt!
I think the ZM is hard to top in terms of looks, to tell the truth. But it's also a very slick camera to work with. The 28mm is a bit bigger than I find ideal, to be totally honest, but actually, all of them block a corner of the viewfinder with the hood attached, and optically, I couldn't have done better (as far as the Elmarits go, that is). It's nice to shoot with, and that's the most important thing. And as far as M-mount lenses are concerned, I don't think there's a major gap in the line-up - no "pressing needs" any more (if you can call it that ...). I'm looking forward to shooting the hell out my stuff now (you know I've already started). And as soon as this arrives, I'll start developing my own b&w film ... :)

M.

And as soon as this arrives, I'll start developing my own b&w film ... :)
Thanks for the link to the Lab-Box. I hadn't heard of it, but coincidentally while I was researching for my own plunge into b&w processing, I found this article about the history of film-developing tanks, and evidently the "daylight loading" tank was on the market 80 years ago, and various models were sold for at least 20 years. If you can't wait for the kickstarter, you might find a similar tank in an antiques store. :D

Back