Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

Last week I picked up a Kodak Vest Pocket autographic. During WW1 the camera got the nickname 'The Soldiers Camera' as it really does fold up small enough to fit in a pocket & was often carried by soldiers even after it's use was banned. It seems my model was made after 1917 but before 1919 (when the paint finish changed)
The autographic film for this 100 year old toy is no longer available but apparently normal 127 film is being made again - even if a roll costs more than the camera did! But at some point I might splash out £15 & give it a run.

Last week I picked up a Kodak Vest Pocket autographic. During WW1 the camera got the nickname 'The Soldiers Camera' as it really does fold up small enough to fit in a pocket & was often carried by soldiers even after it's use was banned. It seems my model was made after 1917 but before 1919 (when the paint finish changed)
The autographic film for this 100 year old toy is no longer available but apparently normal 127 film is being made again - even if a roll costs more than the camera did! But at some point I might splash out £15 & give it a run.
I bought one several years ago with perfect bellows, mine is a 1926. Regarding the 127 film, be careful! I had some really bad luck with some Rerapan from B&H. It was too wide to fit the tank reel.

127 Film is (supposed to be) 46mm wide.
The Paterson tank reel is 46mm wide
The Rerapan was just shy of 47mm wide.

I had posted the entire ordeal at M-4/3 at the time, there's still a post there called 'First shots with Baby Brownie' with a description and photos. B&H ended up giving me my money back.

You may want to consider one of these. Cutting film from 120 is a lot less expensive too.

FCK127 MK.III - Bing video

I bought one several years ago with perfect bellows, mine is a 1926. Regarding the 127 film, be careful! I had some really bad luck with some Rerapan from B&H. It was too wide to fit the tank reel.

127 Film is (supposed to be) 46mm wide.
The Paterson tank reel is 46mm wide
The Rerapan was just shy of 47mm wide.

I had posted the entire ordeal at M-4/3 at the time, there's still a post there called 'First shots with Baby Brownie' with a description and photos. B&H ended up giving me my money back.

You may want to consider one of these. Cutting film from 120 is a lot less expensive too.

FCK127 MK.III - Bing video
While respooling might work out less expensive 49 euros plus a 120 film is far too much for trying out a £10 camera.
The info on the FCK127 also specifically mentions issues with film diameters on the kodak vest pocket...

I suspect my camera will end up as a display piece :(

While respooling might work out less expensive 49 euros plus a 120 film is far too much for trying out a £10 camera.
The info on the FCK127 also specifically mentions issues with film diameters on the kodak vest pocket...

I suspect my camera will end up as a display piece :(
True, for a single camera. I have 4 or 5 127 cameras, so it'd be advantageous for me to get one. My interest in film has really fallen as of late. the problem is I don't have a good setup for developing, I have to get everything out, put it back in storage, etc. Developing almost needs to be an event, which means shooting/storing until I have 8 or 10 rolls and making a day of it. A lot of hassle when digital is just a drag-drop.

True, for a single camera. I have 4 or 5 127 cameras, so it'd be advantageous for me to get one. My interest in film has really fallen as of late. the problem is I don't have a good setup for developing, I have to get everything out, put it back in storage, etc. Developing almost needs to be an event, which means shooting/storing until I have 8 or 10 rolls and making a day of it. A lot of hassle when digital is just a drag-drop.
I'm hoping to be able to develop my 5x4 shots in an old Dallan daylight tank (designed for 1/4 plate but big enough to fit a 5x4 sheet in diagonally. Rather than stock-piling I'll have to process one or perhaps 2 at a time. Fortunately I should be able to store the kit at work & so have hardware for making up solutions readily to hand :)

I'm hoping to be able to develop my 5x4 shots in an old Dallan daylight tank (designed for 1/4 plate but big enough to fit a 5x4 sheet in diagonally. Rather than stock-piling I'll have to process one or perhaps 2 at a time. Fortunately I should be able to store the kit at work & so have hardware for making up solutions readily to hand :)
I’ve been using mono bath, which has to be mixed in a batch. It can be reused but has a shelf life. I need to get something that can be mixed as needed then tossed. Also need to give up on color. It’s fun, not hard to do, but I’d need multiple rolls ready.

My favorite is the two bath Diafine. Lasts forever. My current batch is 5 years old. Fixed time, insensitive to temperature variations, Usually get a 2 stop speed boost - I used to do PlusX at EI400.

Pour in the A bath & agitate for 3 minutes. Pour it back in its jug and then pour in the B bath agitate for 3 minutes then pour it back into its jug. Fix. Done.

My favorite is the two bath Diafine. Lasts forever. My current batch is 5 years old. Fixed time, insensitive to temperature variations, Usually get a 2 stop speed boost - I used to do PlusX at EI400.

Pour in the A bath & agitate for 3 minutes. Pour it back in its jug and then pour in the B bath agitate for 3 minutes then pour it back into its jug. Fix. Done.
Now that would interest me, I'll look it up.

As for the chemicals, I'm not worried. There's a stream nearby, it has enough water to dilute them. :whistle:

I did similar with one of the Ilford developers in class. We just mixed what we needed to develop a roll.
You just need a small graduated cylinder.

I think you can do similar with HC-110. But it has been a long time since I looked into doing that.

Back