Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

Thanks for the link to the Lab-Box. I hadn't heard of it, but coincidentally while I was researching for my own plunge into b&w processing, I found this article about the history of film-developing tanks, and evidently the "daylight loading" tank was on the market 80 years ago, and various models were sold for at least 20 years. If you can't wait for the kickstarter, you might find a similar tank in an antique store. :D
I've backed the LAB-Box on Kickstarter - not least because the people at ars-imago are a dedicated bunch who're really doing their best to help with the analog revival. And actually, I find it pretty well tought out and inexpensive - for me, it's just what I need, and since all the stretch goals have been reached, it comes with all the accessories I could possibly want ... But you're certainly right, this is *not* the first go at this idea.

M.

I've backed the LAB-Box on Kickstarter - not least because the people at ars-imago are a dedicated bunch who're really doing their best to help with the analog revival. And actually, I find it pretty well tought out and inexpensive - for me, it's just what I need, and since all the stretch goals have been reached, it comes with all the accessories I could possibly want ... But you're certainly right, this is *not* the first go at this idea.
I noticed that they've received almost 10 times their original funding target! That amount of interest in film processing is very encouraging.

It's getting hilarious. Word of my camera fixation has gone around. A friend of my father's insisted on selling me *his* dad's camera. I couldn't refuse - so now also own a Voigtländer Vitessa (II); it's the cheaper model with the 50mm f/3.5 Color-Skopar - but what an intriguing camera. I'll get into this a bit more once I've shot a roll with it ...

EDIT: Some imagery (click for bigger versions):
View attachment 1300View attachment 1301
The "snorkel" is actually the spring-driven fast film advance mechanism - not elegant, but very functional. The camera is extremely quick to deploy, has a coupled rangefinder with a decently bright viewfinder and a symmetric folding mechanism ("barn doors"). Peculiar, but quite compelling in use - very sturdily build and well thought out.

M.
After the fun I had with the Vitessa I bought off a friend of my father's, I was unable to resist when another one, sporting the famous Ultron f/2 lens, turned up in my immediate neighbourhood ...
full.jpg

They're simple, yet very(!) handy and sturdy cameras - even though later generations had even more features, those earlier models have everything I need and want. The cheaper lens (Color-Skopar 50mm f/3.5) is actually a really good performer; I'll find out if the Ultron beats it as clearly as people say - but since it has been likened to early Summicrons by some, I'm pretty positive it'll be even better. I'll have to scan the films from the Skopar model with more care before posting, but they'll come in soon. Another "gap" filled ... another reason for spending more time shooting :)

M.

It has been over 39 years since my parents bought me my first camera of any kind, a Praktica Super TL3. It is still functional and sitting on a shelf a few feet behind me. That was my only camera for over 20 years, before I discovered digital . . . it was also before I discovered the Internet, gear forums, and online "magazines". Not so sure those were productive developments.

But I digress. Today I laid my hands on my first ever remote shutter cable, after all that time. I've always used the self-timer, if the camera had one, or took my chances with hand triggering. I probably still wouldn't have the remote shutter cable if I hadn't purchased a Fujica Super-6.

Also, my mint condition Mamiya 55mm/2.8 645 lens arrived. Still waiting on the camera from a different seller.

Update: I learned this morning the staff of the camera store where I bought the 1000S marked it as shipped on April 9, but it never made its way to the post office. The manager apologized and said they'd refund $10 for the inconvenience, and shipped it out this morning. It will be another 10 days before I see it. Bummer, but mistakes happen. My Portra 400 and HP5 are on a shelf in the fridge waiting for the 1000S and Fujica Super-6. <fidgets and twiddles fingers impatiently> :)

True, that. I'm not sure it's a Tessar; the label says "Jena DDR 50mm 1:2.8".
Alright, maybe not a Tessar, then (they tended to label them "Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar", AFAIK). But still intriguing. And just to kindle the G.A.S.: Those really nice Tessars go for less than $100 - if I had a M42 camera, I'd be all over them. As it is, I own a very nice example in my Zeiss Ikon Contessamatic E; as soon as the Vitessa frenzy has died down, I'll put a roll into that one again ... :)

M.

Alright, maybe not a Tessar, then (they tended to label them "Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar", AFAIK). But still intriguing. And just to kindle the G.A.S.: Those really nice Tessars go for less than $100 - if I had a M42 camera, I'd be all over them. As it is, I own a very nice example in my Zeiss Ikon Contessamatic E; as soon as the Vitessa frenzy has died down, I'll put a roll into that one again ... :)

M.
After doing a bit of reading, it appears it may be a Tessar after all. Sources claim the "Jenna DDR" label was put on lenses intended for export . . . such as to my neck of the woods. I haven't used this camera since I switched to digital, but I've thought about running a roll of film through it.

After doing a bit of reading, it appears it may be a Tessar after all. Sources claim the "Jenna DDR" label was put on lenses intended for export . . . such as to my neck of the woods. I haven't used this camera since I switched to digital, but I've thought about running a roll of film through it.
Makes a lot of sense - though I think they were actually *allowed* to use the Carl Zeiss (Jena) name outside of Germany, but I'm not sure. But 50mm f/2.8 smells a lot like the common (and very nice) Tessars I'm aware of. Tell you what: Use it, we'll find out :) If it's nicely sharp (center two thirds fully open, across the frame at f/8 at the latest), contrasty with great colours (and/or well defined shadow and edge transitions), you've got one.

M.

I went to the post office this morning to pick up my Fujica Super-6. My very first thought as the clerk brought it out was how small the box was. This camera is light and compact, and my copy is very clean and in excellent shape. My guess is it was stored in a climate controlled environment. It has a Fujinar 7.5cm f/3.5 lens, and Seikosha-MX shutter. The only sticking point - which the seller disclosed - is that the shutter button doesn't have enough tension to trigger the shutter, so one has to reach in and push the tab manually. Even the remote shutter cable won't trigger it. I can see that causing camera shake if I'm not careful. It is a beautiful piece of equipment, though. The shutter issue is probably why I got the camera so cheaply. I'm itching to load it with Ilford HP5 and get shooting, but it is cold and rainy here today.

I am curious what the M - F - X selector on the right side of the lens does. Any thoughts? I haven't been able to find an instruction book, but I did find a Japanese site that had some good pics on film loading and setting exposure settings. Too bad I don't read Japanese.

100_2554.JPG

100_2553.JPG

I went to the post office this morning to pick up my Fujica Super-6. My very first thought as the clerk brought it out was how small the box was. This camera is light and compact, and my copy is very clean and in excellent shape. My guess is it was stored in a climate controlled environment. It has a Fujinar 7.5cm f/3.5 lens, and Seikosha-MX shutter. The only sticking point - which the seller disclosed - is that the shutter button doesn't have enough tension to trigger the shutter, so one has to reach in and push the tab manually. Even the remote shutter cable won't trigger it. I can see that causing camera shake if I'm not careful. It is a beautiful piece of equipment, though. The shutter issue is probably why I got the camera so cheaply. I'm itching to load it with Ilford HP5 and get shooting, but it is cold and rainy here today.

I am curious what the M - F - X selector on the right side of the lens does. Any thoughts? I haven't been able to find an instruction book, but I did find a Japanese site that had some good pics on film loading and setting exposure settings. Too bad I don't read Japanese.

View attachment 1541
View attachment 1542
Great looking camera - and in all probability, a great picture taking machine. Depending on how much you come to like it, I'd consider having it CLA'd - the guy who runs Certo6 - Vintage Folding Cameras is renowned for doing a fantastic job; I think getting the shutter to work properly again should be possible. I'll have to have one of my Vitessas (the one with the Ultron, sadly) CLA'd as well - the film transport/shutter cocking mechanism seems to hang just a tiny bit, so I have to let it snap back with a loud "clack" in order to make it work as it should ... not a reassuring sound/procedure. But you can still run a test roll or three through that camera - I'm very interested to a) know how well the shutter works (it should be the equal of the Prontor-S(VS) or even the Compur-Rapid) and b) how the results from the 7.5mm Fujinar turn out - I was unable to find enough information about the lens to form a clear image, so to speak ...

The M - F - X selector is the flash mode selector, btw. X being for electronic flashes, M for magnesium, F for flash bulbs. The leaf shutter can sync with electronic flashes *at all speeds* :)

M.

That's good to know, Matt. I've never been much of a flash user .... never seem to get the exposure right without several trial exposures. I've read of flash sync, but couldn't tell you what it is, other than leaf shutters sync at all speeds, and the flash sync speed seems to be something some photographers hold in high esteem. Most reviews say something like "this camera syncs at a measly 1/60", or "this camera syncs at a respectable 1/500". Beyond that, I'm clueless.

I just loaded a roll of Ilford HP5 Plus 400, and fired off a frame with our little dog in it. Exposure was f4 at 1/15, so I'm not expecting much, but I wanted to test the workings of the camera. Still rainy and dismal outside. I forgot to mention MFD on this lens is 4 feet, so no close-focus work.

I'm no expert on flash either, but I got into it a bit this past year, and it's really quite fascinating. The short sync speeds mean that you're better able to control the outcome with manual flashes (i.e. non-TTL, non-AUTO) - and doing that is enormously satisfying, but you need to like a bit of trial and error, and on film, that'd be costly. Truth be told, I've not used flash with any of my MF cameras yet; but I could - because I own a flash meter. Anyhow, my advice is: Don't bother - you'll find out if you need to know more, and finding things out isn't difficult (there's loads of stuff online, specifically on Youtube ...).

MFD on old folders is never really close - my "best" cameras in this respect offer 3ft/1m; but the "modern" Mamiya 6 is no better (the Lomo LC-A 120 is - 2ft./0.6m, but on a 21mm-e lens ...), nor is the (standard) Biometar on the Pentacon Six.

Anyway, I'm mostly offline for a couple of days now (Berlin ... with three film cameras - no digital this time!) - so I wish you lots of joy and opportunities (better weather, to start with) to try out the camera. Don't stop at one roll - but don't burn ten ;)

M.

My Mamiya 1000S arrived today. 55mm f2.8 lens came last week. They are in near mint condition, as opposed to my first copy which worked great but was scratched and worn somewhat. Looking forward to loading a roll of Portra 400 and going out with it.

Update: I have started the process to return the Mamiya. Upon further examination of the camera, it is a 645, not a 1000S. While the IQ should be the same, it has a 1/500 top shutter speed, and no delayed shutter release. While the listing clearly described a 1000S, I should have examined the photos more closely. If I had not been in such a hurry, I would have noticed the photos did not match the auction description. A shame, really, as the camera is in excellent condition.

EDIT 4/28: the seller apologized and agreed to a full refund. I may just try to sell the Mamiya 55mm/2.8 lens instead of looking for another 1000S body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the Mamiya transaction didn't work out, I decided to go in a different direction, and bought a Zeiss aus Jena Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 lens for the Praktica. It's not MF, but I have always liked the 35mm FOV, and this lens has a stellar reputation. Image samples I reviewed on Flickr were outstanding. Hope to have it in time to head out into the woods this weekend with the Praktica loaded with Portra 400.

Nice! Been looking for one for a while to complement my Helios 44m-4 58mm f/2. So far I only use it adapted on Digital, since I don't own a m42 body. How do you like the Praktica?
José, I actually haven't used the Praktica in about 15 years. It was the first camera I ever had, received as a gift for my 18th Christmas from my parents. It was the only camera I owned and used for a long, long time before discovering digital. I have thought about pulling it off the shelf occasionally, and now's the time. It's a basic camera - no self-timer, speeds from 1s - 1/500, B, and flash. But it's the camera that got me started, and it was a gift from my parents, so it will be with me until I pass from this world.

Back