Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

Well I had to work through Hurricane Irma, then went 8 days without power, pulled 3 24's and 5 10's, but I came out with this mint (almost) T90. Think I'm gonna like this one.
T90-XL.jpg

It is here, the Mamiya 645 AF. I LOVE it! It's heavy but really handles very nicely as it seems to be very ergonomically designed. Oh the viewfinder is so bright and huge, l love the AF lens, my sight is not fantastic for manual focus as I am finding out, I seem to be fine with waist level manual focus but not the prism type. Very pleased so far, I fired her a few times and all seems to be well. Now to load some film when I get home.

View attachment 148556

Good luck with the Mamiya 645. I have one with a number of lenses. Like you, I find the autofocus better than my eyesight. I've been shooting B&W in mine and really like the way the camera system handles. The bigger negatives (than 35mm) are nice as well.

The only issue is the film magazine looks quite worn on this camera, it's not awful or anything but I hope it works fine. I looked for another magazine on ebay, they are expensive!! Will have to keep looking for another one.

Nikon FA. Probably shouldn't have bought this but couldn't resist (and the FM3A is really expensive). Came with the MD-15 winder but unfortunately not the handgrip or the screw covers on the base. Not a big deal. Keen to get out and shoot with this - apparently the metering is pretty great.

LRAYG-wgbQQVeVACc2VwjGu021Wa57vS-7ycmCCJGNjLkcM1kc9-xLyC94iTR0Ut2md0jF7Zg1FIBmyDuB=w1214-h910-no.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Given that one of the purposes of my recent trip to north-eastern Germany *was* to look for some film gear, it's obvious that I brought home a couple of things.

I got my hands on two more folders, both rare, sought after and yet pretty affordable. I wanted a fully working medium format rangefinder folder - and actually I found a Voigtländer Bessa RF (the predecessor of the venerable Bessa II) in very good nick, sporting the second-best lens available with this camera, the five-lens Heliar 105mm f/3.5 (the uncoated version), a Compur Rapid shutter (Compur's most reliable item) and a coupled(!) rangefinder; best old folder I ever laid my hands on, and now it's mine. Pre-loved in a very nice sense of the word: looked after, fully serviced, in perfect working and very decent cosmetic condition. What more can you ask for? :D

The second camera is another rare gem, though not a medium format camera as first intended: I also stumbled upon a Kodak Retina IIa Type 016 with the very interesting Schneider Kreuznach Retina-Xenon 50mm f/2 - a six-lens double-Gauss design reminiscent of the Zeiss Sonnar set in a Synchro-Compur shutter. We'll see how it compares to my much-loved Voigtländer Vitessas - especially the Ultron 50mm f/2 ... The camera is pleasantly compact - not quite as nice in the hand as the Vitessas, but quite appealing nonetheless.

I also bought more interesting and useful stuff: A Jupiter-8 50mm f/2 lens, a Leica L39 to M adapter (original!), a pocketable rangefinder (fully serviced), filter holders, tripod adapters, battery adapters ... In short, found quite a couple of solutions for existing issues or replacements for broken or damaged stuff.

I also went to fetch the two lenses for the Pentacon Six TL that have now been CLA'd and restored to full working order - the Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 and the Flektogon 50mm f/4. So that system's almost fully up and running - one of my bodies is still being overhauled. I had no idea how very nice those lenses could feel and work - now I do :) The only fly in the ointment is the fact that some oaf has - very clumsly - tried to restore the 180mm before and has instead actually damaged the aperture blades slightly - the aperture still works, but some blades are sort of rumpled. Best used wide open anyway - but now stopping down will produce irregular bokeh and maybe strange effects ... Anyway, all in all, I'm very happy with the result of the CLA.

Images to follow (images taken as well as documentary).

M.

Found a F1n and a F100 in almost mint condition. May pull the trigger on one or both of them. I need Darkroom supplies, anyone know a good place to purchase these items? I am setting up a community darkroom. I have 4 people involved in this project? should be fun doing this together.

I had lots of fun today shooting the Jupiter 8 on the Leica CL - it's now most likely to replace the Leica Summicron-C 40mm, especially if that turns out to be gone for good. It's quite a nice classic lens to handle, pretty compact, yet sufficiently sturdy, and in spite of the L39->M adapter, it works seamlessly on the the CL. The aperture is clickless, but that actually fits the way the exposure indicator works.

jupiter8.jpg

On a side note, this most probably means that the Zeiss Biogon 35mm I originally bought as a replacement for the Summicron-C will see more use on the M4-P it works so well with :)

The only real issue that emerged today is that the second CL I acquired to substitute my first, somewhat quirky body actually has a dead shutter; I'll try to have it revived, but it's irritating for sure. I bought it "revised (still sealed in plastic - *check*), but untested". My bad; bottomline: Never buy "untested" again. The "new" body looks very nice, though - I hope I can do something about it.

M.

Here's the Voigtländer Bessa RF - it continues to satisfy; shooting 6x4.5 needs a bit of concentration, especially since I have to remember to first open the bellows first (due to considerable suction - this thing's really *tight*), then advance the film (and if you don't advance it, you'll end up with double exposure); the 6x4.5 mask causes a second window to open in order to use the same frame indicator *twice*. Other than that, it's a surprisingly straightforward camera to use - even if controls aren't where we expect them today, they're in sensible enough places.

bessarf.jpg

The Kodak Retina IIa turns out to be a bit of a mixed bag; the notoriously brittle frame counter is indeed broken; the rangefinder could use some adjustment, but it's usable. Film transport is quick and fluid, but setting the aperture is fiddly, and the thin ring for setting the shutter speed likes to move with the focusing ring. I'd say it's a really nice camera compared to its contemporaries, but it sure doesn't beat the only slightly younger Voigtländer Vitessa; at least not as far as handling is concerned. We'll see how the images turn out.

retina2a.jpg

Today, I actually finished two rolls of 35mm and also shot the last couple of frames of 6x4.5 - the new cameras and lenses certainly make me want to shoot ...

M.

Canon EOS 55 or Elan IIe with Eye Control feature. I slapped on an $80 Yonguno EF 50mm 1.8, I have used this lens before on a Canon Rebel digital and surprisingly it is quite sharp for a cheap knock off. Will have to use this until I can find a good Canon 50mm for a decent price, also will have to see how it does with film. This camera only has 3 focus spots that can be eye controlled (haven't set it up as yet), unlike the later 7Ne camera which has like 7! It's small and light camera, great for my purse :). The battery is a pain to find though :(.

View attachment 148587

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Voigtlander R3A is lost in the mail. OM-4Ti on the way now.
I really, really wouldn't give up on the Voigtländer - I'd move heaven and earth to get it, especially if you have no other M mount camera. If anything has changed the way I look at film photography, apart from using old folders, it's using rangefinder cameras. Pure magic ... I used to laugh about people caught up in what I called "Leica-craze" (Leica-Manie - Leica-mania - in German). Boy, was I wrong about this ... it's absolutely fascinating.

M.

I really, really wouldn't give up on the Voigtländer - I'd move heaven and earth to get it, especially if you have no other M mount camera. If anything has changed the way I look at film photography, apart from using old folders, it's using rangefinder cameras. Pure magic ... I used to laugh about people caught up in what I called "Leica-craze" (Leica-Manie - Leica-mania - in German). Boy, was I wrong about this ... it's absolutely fascinating.

There's definitely a rangefinder experience. It's real for me. I've had a M4-P, Zeiss Ikon ZM, Canon P, Yashica Electro GSN which I sold for various reasons. I still have a M3. I was trying to find a metered body to travel with. But that doesn't have to be a rangefinder.

I've looked at other R3A and R2A on eBay. Quite pricy compared to the auction I won. My camera hasn't been trackable since it left Sweden on Sep 29th. Perhaps it'll randomly show up at my door.

Back