Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

You should give developing a go it's really easy and a lot quicker than sending it way to have it developed. It can be done in your kitchen or bathroom and if you chose the right developer you can even do your C41 XP2! I mostly 'stand develop' as it's easy and versatile and allows you to develop films of different speeds in the same tank. If you are interested take a look at this Workflow Tutorial #2: Stand Development with Rodinal – J B Hildebrand Photography

You should give developing a go it's really easy and a lot quicker than sending it way to have it developed. It can be done in your kitchen or bathroom and if you chose the right developer you can even do your C41 XP2! I mostly 'stand develop' as it's easy and versatile and allows you to develop films of different speeds in the same tank. If you are interested take a look at this Workflow Tutorial #2: Stand Development with Rodinal – J B Hildebrand Photography

When I do go on the route, I plan on starting with stand development, it seems like a good choice for a beginner so thank you for the encouragement! I think the step that makes me worried the most is getting the film onto the reel. I have been looking to purchase a Agfa Rondinax tank, but goodness, so is the rest of the world, and they now cost over 100 pounds in the UK on Ebay.

Rondinax are good but you can’t stand develop in them as they are designed to run the film through a bath of developer. To stand develop you just need a normal tank and however many reels it will hold, I would suggest the ones by AP if you can get them as they have big tabs and are easy to load in a dark bag. If you want to stand develop then really you are limited to Rodinal/R09 or HC 110, Rodinal is easier to use straight from the bottle. When you are ready then there are lots of sites you can visit for info and of course this community. Good luck

I bought a Jobo 2400 tank, which is no longer manufactured, so it cost a ridiculous amount of money for plastic. This should start me on my stand/semi-stand developing journey for at least 35mm :). I have watched a lot of videos on developing, and I honestly cannot bring myself to use a changing bag, I am too scatterbrained for that but since this Jobo tank needs no bag or darkroom, it might work better for me. Now to get some Blazinol and fixer, Rodinol is not available here but I am assured Blazinol is the exact same thing.

I bought a Jobo 2400 tank, which is no longer manufactured, so it cost a ridiculous amount of money for plastic. This should start me on my stand/semi-stand developing journey for at least 35mm :). I have watched a lot of videos on developing, and I honestly cannot bring myself to use a changing bag, I am too scatterbrained for that but since this Jobo tank needs no bag or darkroom, it might work better for me. Now to get some Blazinol and fixer, Rodinol is not available here but I am assured Blazinol is the exact same thing.
Rodinal/Rodinol's patent has expired, so everyone can put a chosen name on his/her product and sell it. My favourite film shop does the same thing. Enjoy!

M.

Rodinal/Rodinol's patent has expired, so everyone can put a chosen name on his/her product and sell it. My favourite film shop does the same thing. Enjoy!

M.

Thanks Matt, good to know. Was Agfa the inventor of Rodinol? I am looking forward to trying the process out

Was Agfa the inventor of Rodinol?
Yes - and it was/is called Rodinal if it's the original - but there are loads of other brand-names now. I've used it during the development workshop I did. I'll try out a monobath and something fully bio-degredable (X-tol or similar) before (probably) going back to Rodinal (or RD - the generic version sold by my film shop). But the Massive Dev Chart shows countless options for Rodinal - it's really a universally useful developer, and has been tried and tested to its fullest potential.

M.

Matt, did you get yours yet?
No, but they made the call for final address confirmation; should be in soon-ish. I'm not sure about stand developing - haven't looked into it yet. I think working the magic is part of the fun, but of course, it's also quite nerve-wracking until you really get the hang of it (I haven't, as of yet - but that's to be expected, I'm a noob ...).

M.

No, but they made the call for final address confirmation; should be in soon-ish. I'm not sure about stand developing - haven't looked into it yet. I think working the magic is part of the fun, but of course, it's also quite nerve-wracking until you really get the hang of it (I haven't, as of yet - but that's to be expected, I'm a noob ...).

M.

Let's hope you get yours soon. I see they have pre-sales on but not sure for when though.

Bought an Olympus AZ 330 for silly little money.
Real fun camera to use.
That will be my "I don't care what happens to it" travel camera.
IMG_2484.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back