Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

Nothing bought, but two exciting developments :D One is my first complete film development - I made a mess in the kitchen (because I had neglected to prepare well enough and allowed myself to get stressed out), but *not* a mess of the whole process: Both 120 films look okay and are now drying in the shower. The other one is the return of my Super Ikonta 531/16 from CLA - works like a charm now.

The key insight concerning film shooting/handling: I still have loads of film to scan (and some to develop, too). That's a problem I need to address through some kind of schedule (scanning twice or three times a week until it's done, same goes for developing). But once I've cleared up the backlog I can develop *and* scan two 120 films in two easy days (only because of dry time, btw. - we're talking about three hours on the whole). This way, I can keep up with things as long as I shoot b&w - without issue. Even if I shoot a lot (i.e. 120 two films a week). For 135 film, it's similar, though scanning takes a lot more time due to the number of images, so even though I have tank space for four 135 films at a time, I'll not do that, instead I'll stick to two - at the most. This really looks promising - especially if I reserve colour shooting for photo travel, as planned :2thumbs:

M.

Well done, looking forward to seeing some of your handy work.

When you have developed some more experience with B&W then it's not such a big step to C41. Before I was lucky enough to find a really cheap Jobo CPE, I used this

IMG_0014.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The heating element is from an oid kettle and the temperature is controlled by the thermostat which I got off eBay for about £10.00.

Wow, this is a very clever set-up, lovely! I have been eyeing the Jobo CPE, the smallest one but I think even it would be too big for my space.

I have been thinking about a portrait lens for awhile now (not that I take many portraits), something affordable, and I learnt of this cheap Sony lens 85mm F2.8, liked the results in the reviews but all the photos were shot on Sony digital cameras. Well, it's an A mount and I hope it fits my Minolta Dynax 7. It was cheaper than retail as it was "open box" at an online Canadian camera shop. The mount is plastic, at least I think it is, so I will have to be careful. Anyone own this lens from Sony's rather charmingly described "easy choice" line? I believe there is a 35mm and one other.

Edit: It fits, no idea why I was worried! Wow, I love the focal length. Now let's see how well it performs in terms of images.

View attachment 186073

Last edited:
Dropped by the Berlin Fotobörse (Berlin photography fair) and couldn't resist when I found a classic GDR camera: the Werramatic E. I got it for comparatively little money, and it seems to be in fully working condition (cosmetically, there's a ding at the top, but nothing major).

_DSC2510.jpg

More to come - I came across a couple of other interesting things ...

M.

Two very different acquistions. First, I came across a pinhole camera I had seen in local shops for a lot(!) more, so I thought, why not? This is photography reduced to the very core ...

_DSC2513.jpg

The next camera is one that realistically, I really don't need, but I had asked the seller a while ago if he would care holding on to it for me, so I couldn't refuse when he came through with an offer: the Minolta Hi-Matic 7s II. In a way, it's still a worthy addition to the collection, though, because it bridges the gap between two pinnacle cameras in my photographic journey: Its last successor, the really basic and pared-down Minolta Hi-Matic GF (the last in a line of Hi-Matic cameras - almost a toy camera with no rangefinder, a single shutter speed, a 38mm f4 lens with only three f-stops ...) was the camera I really cut my photographic teeth on way over thirty years back (in spite of its limitations, it was a huge upgrade from the Kodak Ektra 150 pocket camera that was actually stolen from me in Paris - I don't know how happy the thief was afterwards ...). The Hi-Matic GF produced some astonishingly nice shots over the next couple of years before I upgraded to a SLR in 1986. And the Leica CL, a camera that was on the market immediately before the 7s II, sparked my interest in analog photography after a hiatus of more than ten years. The 7s II feels familiar, if a bit less sophisticated than the CL, but it's a solid little machine, and by all accounts should be able to produce nice images. Here it is, shadowed by the CL.

_DSC2512.jpg

M.

Just received a Zorki 11. I really wanted the Zorki 10, but those have got more expensive. The 11 is a guess focus instead of rangefinder but otherwise I believe there is no difference. I shall run a roll through it ASAP.
I have also ordered the Pixl.Latr device for helping scan negatives with a camera. As I now have the joy of relying on a septic tank, I am reluctant to start pouring chemicals down the drain, no matter how diluted. Luckily AG photo lab are quick, reliable and inexpensive for development only, so that’s my plan. Plus the odd experiment with Silverpan who use Hasselblad scanners and will send you the resulting raw files - must be worth a look.

Two very different acquistions. First, I came across a pinhole camera I had seen in local shops for a lot(!) more, so I thought, why not? This is photography reduced to the very core ...

View attachment 188177

The next camera is one that realistically, I really don't need, but I had asked the seller a while ago if he would care holding on to it for me, so I couldn't refuse when he came through with an offer: the Minolta Hi-Matic 7s II. In a way, it's still a worthy addition to the collection, though, because it bridges the gap between two pinnacle cameras in my photographic journey: Its last successor, the really basic and pared-down Minolta Hi-Matic GF (the last in a line of Hi-Matic cameras - almost a toy camera with no rangefinder, a single shutter speed, a 38mm f4 lens with only three f-stops ...) was the camera I really cut my photographic teeth on way over thirty years back (in spite of its limitations, it was a huge upgrade from the Kodak Ektra 150 pocket camera that was actually stolen from me in Paris - I don't know how happy the thief was afterwards ...). The Hi-Matic GF produced some astonishingly nice shots over the next couple of years before I upgraded to a SLR in 1986. And the Leica CL, a camera that was on the market immediately before the 7s II, sparked my interest in analog photography after a hiatus of more than ten years. The 7s II feels familiar, if a bit less sophisticated than the CL, but it's a solid little machine, and by all accounts should be able to produce nice images. Here it is, shadowed by the CL.

View attachment 188178

M.

The Minolta 7Sii is one of my favorite cameras, the lens is great. Enjoy!

Nice choices. The Minolta 7s-II has a first-rate lens, I kept it over the Konica S3.

Nikon S2- great shooter for the 50, one of the nicest viewfinders on any RF camera. I have the more common Nikon lenses, and have adapted some Russian lenses to the Nikon. The Helios-103 is a nice, cheap Planar formula lens that gives a nice alternative to the Nikkor 5cm F1.4. I did some comparisons with the 50/1.4 that came with my S3-2000. With the Helios-103, undo the set screws that hold the optics in the mount, unscrew 1/2 turn, screw back together.

In an effort to simplify my film kit I purchased a Minolta 24-85 zoom and a Maxxum 5. I already have a Minolta Maxxum 7 but the weight and features of the 5 will make it perfect for travel. The 5 shares the same auto focus system as the 7.

I sold both my Mamiya 6's and all 3 lenses. Next maybe the Hasselblad and I'll keep the Rolleiflex for MF.

I took advantage of a 15% off everything promotion on eBay and have ordered a Minolta X-370. I would also like another medium format body, but it has to be cheap. The Holga 120 GCFN looks fun, has anyone tried one of these?

I took advantage of a 15% off everything promotion on eBay and have ordered a Minolta X-370. I would also like another medium format body, but it has to be cheap. The Holga 120 GCFN looks fun, has anyone tried one of these?
Fun, yes, cheap, yes, but you really have to be into this extremely lo-fi stuff to like it. I'd suggest an old folder (Zeiss Ikon or Voigtländer for preference - because they use real leather bellows and last); it should be in working condition, though - having them CLA'd isn't exactly cheap. But a nice Nettar will do everything the Holga does, and better.

M.

Got a couple fond holgas and Diana fs. Fun to use but unreliable and unpredictable results. Be ready to part with a lot of cash as development is not cheap and lots of shots will be unusable.

Got a couple fond holgas and Diana fs. Fun to use but unreliable and unpredictable results. Be ready to part with a lot of cash as development is not cheap and lots of shots will be unusable.
One of the main things to learn and do was developing b&w at home. It's simple enough, comparatively cheap and not too much of a hassle. In fact, it can be quite satisfying and relaxing ...

M.

Back