Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

Great shots. Might be a silly question but I'll ask it anyway, how do you manage to take the shots and avoid dust/junk entering the environment and 'dirtying' the shot ? Do you use a light-box or some other dust-free environment and clean the item meticulously ? Or do you just tidy it up in post ?
Thats something I'm still trying to figure out. I generally dust them off with a vinyl record brush to clean it up. I have to do a better job at removing all the dirt before hand. There was almost no post work done to these photos.

Pentax ME Super
P1060012-2.jpg

Pentax K1000
DSC03941.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You can see the encrusted dirt on this one

My Minolta Autocord was feeling lonely, so I bought another one!

I was really not going for this, my original idea was a Rolleiflex 2.8F or 3.5F, but after trying them, I found the handling quite awkward for me. It is so much more natural for me the handling of an Autocord or Rolleicord (up to the V, with the focus nob on the right) that we support the camera with the left hand and focus and fire without having to "juggle" the camera, that I decided to keep on the Autocord "field".

My Minolta Autocord was feeling lonely, so I bought another one!

I was really not going for this, my original idea was a Rolleiflex 2.8F or 3.5F, but after trying them, I found the handling quite awkward for me. It is so much more natural for me the handling of an Autocord or Rolleicord (up to the V, with the focus nob on the right) that we support the camera with the left hand and focus and fire without having to "juggle" the camera, that I decided to keep on the Autocord "field".

I'm kinda sad 127/4x4 film died (apart from Efke?) - the Baby Rolleis and Yashicas look like a much handier size for a camera. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Autocord - its not a model I'd heard much about before.

I'm kinda sad 127/4x4 film died (apart from Efke?) - the Baby Rolleis and Yashicas look like a much handier size for a camera. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Autocord - its not a model I'd heard much about before.
I don’t find the 6x6 TLR cameras that big, if that is an issue, a rangefinder folder might be a good option but I believe you are leaving those out of the equation for handling and/or reliability matters. On the Autocords, my favorites models are the RG 3 (a few variants).

A good resource for autocord models info:

Last edited:
4 single use Kodak cameras, including 2 “HQ”ones that are amazingly compact (expired though).
One Lomo Single use camera (the re-usable ones ;-) ).
A Minox FC 35 flash and a couple of PX27 batteries.

Not so much bought as re-acquired: My mother just gave me the little mju-1 Ltd. I had given her more than a fifteen years ago (I fear she even paid for it back then ... thankfully, I don't remember). I'll get a new battery for it tomorrow and throw in the extra roll I have with me (I took two film point-and-shoot cameras with me on this short trip already ... funny old world). Nice little surprise, that one.

M.

Heres a purchase related query - whats the deal with Canon Film EOS cameras?
I've steered clear of Canon. For some reason they just don't have the attraction of other manufacturers in-spite of pushing the technical boundaries in the the film & digital world.

However I've noticed some EOS-1n and 2n cameras appearing for relatively little. What is their Nikon equivalent? I see the 1n was a '94 era camera and the 2n (5 in some markets) was a little later. Would they be the equivalent of the Nikon F5 and F100?

How fast do EOS lenses focus on these film bodies?
I know the Nikon motorised lenses work pretty well on my F100, is that the case with EOS film-bodies?

Is the eye-detect AF a gimmick or does it actually work (you don't hear much about it on their digital bodies so I guess they dropped it)?

Just taken delivery of a Minox 35 GT, c/w a very dinky leather case. I’m off to download a manual, as it has a couple of buttons on the top of the body that the 35EL didn't have.
You have the battery check button (CHECK), the backlight switch (2X, i.e. +1 stop) and the self timer switch (TIMER) on top :) The Minox 35 GT is one of my favourite cameras of all time; I now own the GT-E (the second model of that designation), but wouldn't mind owning the original at all. The case is worth it, too, because one of the only issues I had with my first GT was excessive dust in the viewfinder; the case prevents that very effectively. Enjoy it - it's a great little machine (but of course, you already knew that, coming from the EL).

M.

Heres a purchase related query - whats the deal with Canon Film EOS cameras?
I've steered clear of Canon. For some reason they just don't have the attraction of other manufacturers in-spite of pushing the technical boundaries in the the film & digital world.

However I've noticed some EOS-1n and 2n cameras appearing for relatively little. What is their Nikon equivalent? I see the 1n was a '94 era camera and the 2n (5 in some markets) was a little later. Would they be the equivalent of the Nikon F5 and F100?

How fast do EOS lenses focus on these film bodies?
I know the Nikon motorised lenses work pretty well on my F100, is that the case with EOS film-bodies?

Is the eye-detect AF a gimmick or does it actually work (you don't hear much about it on their digital bodies so I guess they dropped it)?
No such thing as a 2n, so I am assuming you probably mean the EOS 3, which had the eye-detect feature. None of the EOS 1 variants had it. The A2e and several of the Elans had it as well.

The EOS 1 variants were the equivalent of the contemporary Nikon F series (F4, F5 and F6). There are three variants of the EOS 1: 1, 1n, and 1v.

The EOS 3 was a very well featured camera, probably equivalent to a Nikon F100. I could not say about the EOS 1, but EF lenses focus quite swiftly on any of the others. In particular, I believe the EOS 3 had 45 focus points, which was quite impressive when it came out.

The eye-detect AF is anything but a gimmick. The camera focuses where you look as if by magic. I have never quite understood why this technology did not make it to any of Canon's digital bodies.

Cheers,

Antonio

The eye-detect AF is anything but a gimmick. The camera focuses where you look as if by magic. I have never quite understood why this technology did not make it to any of Canon's digital bodies.

Cheers! Thats super useful info. I'll keep an eye out for those model families. I've been eyeing up a Nikon F5 or 6 but they're still fairly pricey (even an F with a good prism finder is expensive these days). Trying a modern(ish) film Canon might be a fun alternative.

I bought a couple of half-frame Canons this week. The Demi EE 28, with automatic exposure, from the late 60’s, had a stuck aperture ring and gummy light seals (see SiJuly day 21). Some judicious application of various solvents seems to have done the trick on both faults.
The Demi, with a match needle system, from a few years earlier, seems in perfect condition.
E0809DD7-8D05-43E1-81AB-12E221D632FC.jpeg

8701A0D0-68C9-4282-9B25-18C922496168.jpeg

Attachments

• 4162E156-BA55-4973-95E9-9C6A38C97B60.jpeg
    4162E156-BA55-4973-95E9-9C6A38C97B60.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 135
Back