Film What FILM (!) photography related item did you buy this week?

The lovely little FED Industar 10 I got at the weekend for the bargain price of 50p was originally for film cameras so could be called film related (though I will be using it on mirrorless)
Then the Rodenstock 480mm f/9 that's due to arrive tomorrow will be used on one or more of my 5x4 mono rails, that's definitely film related.
The vitamin C & varnish brought today are both related to improving my dire efforts at home processing, so I guess they count too...

I actually just sent away for some new fixer and a rubber film squeegee from B&H.
The bloody rubber squeegee scratches my film. I switched from a sponge-type squeegee which only scratched film a small part of the time (you had to wet it beforehand and make sure the sponge surface was softened up), but was getting old and I didn't trust it anymore. I think from now on I'm just going to use a final rinse (most likely just a tiny drop of dish soap in distilled water) and forego anything else. B&H kindly refunded me without the need to ship the squeegee back when I let them know.

The bloody rubber squeegee scratches my film. I switched from a sponge-type squeegee which only scratched film a small part of the time (you had to wet it beforehand and make sure the sponge surface was softened up), but was getting old and I didn't trust it anymore. I think from now on I'm just going to use a final rinse (most likely just a tiny drop of dish soap in distilled water) and forego anything else. B&H kindly refunded me without the need to ship the squeegee back when I let them know.

I do not recall ever using a squeegee.
I think I just dipped the film in photo-flo, then hung the film and let it dry.
I think the most I did was to put the film between my washed fingers, and used my fingers as a squeegee.
That was only for 35mm. For 120 I just hung the film.

I do not recall ever using a squeegee.
I think I just dipped the film in photo-flo, then hung the film and let it dry.
I think the most I did was to put the film between my washed fingers, and used my fingers as a squeegee.
That was only for 35mm. For 120 I just hung the film.
I'm going to go that route from now on. I didn't use photo-flo or anything other than distilled water for a final rinse, and the spongy squeegee did really aid in drying times, but we generally keep the humidity down in our place and it really doesn't take long for film to dry, and I don't notice any drying marks. I will probably stick with extremely mild dish soap in water from now on.

Congratulations! That's one cool looking camera, almost an art deco styling. And welcome to the forum!
Thanks. Arrived today. Here are a few pictures.
20230327_191458.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
20230327_191410.jpg
20230327_191358.jpg
20230327_191333.jpg
20230327_191345.jpg
20230327_191240~01.jpg

Last edited:
I bought my first Leica!

20230402-DSCF1064.jpg

20230402-DSCF1065.jpg

Waiting for the proper batteries to arrive so I can see if it actually works...as well as whether I'm smart enough to use it.

- K

P.S. I guess technically this is my second Leica, since I owned an APS film Leica camera in the early 2000s.

I bought my first Leica!

View attachment 377041

View attachment 377042

Waiting for the proper batteries to arrive so I can see if it actually works...as well as whether I'm smart enough to use it.

- K

P.S. I guess technically this is my second Leica, since I owned an APS film Leica camera in the early 2000s.
I had one of those back in the day! Also it's predecessor, selenium cell, so no battery required. I found the one you have particularly difficult to use as it is virtually a spot meter, which required a very different technique from what I was used to!

I had one of those back in the day! Also it's predecessor, selenium cell, so no battery required. I found the one you have particularly difficult to use as it is virtually a spot meter, which required a very different technique from what I was used to!
Good info, Charles, thanks for sharing.

I also bought this Sekonic L-398:

20230402-DSCF1143.jpg

20230402-DSCF1144.jpg

20230402-DSCF1145.jpg

Hopefully between the two devices I can figure out a way to get a decent exposure with my new toy.

- K

As part of my transition to the Ars-Imago Lab-Box, I ordered a couple of brown-tint glass bottles from B&H that are 500ml, just about perfect for holding enough chemicals to fill the 490ml tank in the Lab-Box.

I'll have to replenish or replace chems faster given the smaller total chemical volume. But overall I'm looking to have a smaller and easier development kit when I pull it out of the closet to work with it. I'll still leave my 1000ml bottle for fixer, and use the 500ml one for Ilfostop, which I have been meaning to mix up fresh. The other one I'll probably mix up some 1:7 TMax developer to try out.

I also ordered some new empty film cassettes, they are called "Sensei" and look to be exactly the same as the ones used for the new Shanghai GP3 100-speed B&W film. They have a weird design wherein the cassette splits in half, when you press inward on a couple of prongs at the top. Way different from the standard crimped-top cassettes. The story goes that China has no manufacturing for the metal crimp top for film cassettes, so they redesigned them form the ground up to be economical plastic cases. While I had a heck of a time in the darkroom opening the cassettes of the Shanghai GP3 film I shot, the Lab-Box conveniently removes the need for that. So I think these cassettes will actually work well. I'll report back!

I have no bulk film right now, but I'm trying to decide between a few economical choices moving forward. I've found HP5 for around $100, but if I can improve my developing results with Kentmere 400, I may go for that. Or, fall back on a film I really like (and know how to develop well with Rodinal), Arista/Fomapan 100. Or, possibly FP4 or another outlier (Foma 400, or even Ilford Pan-F 50).

My journey(backwards some would say) into the realms of film continues. My Nikon F4 loaded with Fomapan gives me the pleasure of anticipation and enjoyment the has been dulled by digital. And instead of trying to satisfy myself by buying the latest offering from Nikon, I have resurrected the F4. It is beginning to inspire me to think about what I am doing and realise that film requires a more thoughtful approach.
I will continue to use film and digital alongside each other and use my amazing F4.

I am posting a few images taken during a Sunday morning walk.

Guardians of the bay
IMG_2054.jpeg
IMG_2059.jpeg
IMG_2056.jpeg
IMG_2052.jpeg

Guardians of the Bay
IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2053.jpeg

Hope you like them
Regards Ben

Attachments

• IMG_2048.jpeg
    IMG_2048.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
My journey(backwards some would say) into the realms of film continues. My Nikon F4 loaded with Fomapan gives me the pleasure of anticipation and enjoyment the has been dulled by digital. And instead of trying to satisfy myself by buying the latest offering from Nikon, I have resurrected the F4. It is beginning to inspire me to think about what I am doing and realise that film requires a more thoughtful approach.
I will continue to use film and digital alongside each other and use my amazing F4.

I am posting a few images taken during a Sunday morning walk.

Guardians of the bayView attachment 388157View attachment 388158View attachment 388160View attachment 388161

Guardians of the Bay
View attachment 388156

View attachment 388163

Hope you like them
Regards Ben
Super cool! Is that Foma 400? Love the grain and contrast. How were these developed?

Back